• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United goalkeeper Daniel Bentley: I won't sign a new contract

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United goalkeeper Daniel Bentley has revealed he has turned down the Shrimpers offer of a new contract.

More...

Should have sold him ! It's going to be another Barnard situation , sell him in January , fail to replace and go down .

I know I'm being really pessimistic but why would a play come out and say this after the window shuts unless he doesn't want to be here ?

This is the sad side of football today a greedy chairman Aplayer who wants to leave = .He goes for next to nothing .Never fear Dan Bentley will give his all while in a southend shirt .But as for a big pay day for him has sadly passed I fear .

We'll get something for him via tribunal, but won't be as much as we were offered by any means.

disappointed in him tbh. Seemed like a people of the fans and in the end the only person he cared about was himself.

Should not RM have found this out, before he turned down QPRs offer. I dont blame DP at all, he wants to move on to bigger and better things. Quite glad he will stay for maybe the season, reckon he is worth say 15 points to us, that might turn out to be staying in this league, but if the club wanted some readies for Dan, they imo should have done there homework.

If QPR wanted him so bad, they should at least pay for him. Why they left it too late, they should have make the move earlier in June, so we have more time to find a suitable replacement for Bentley. At least PB will have 4 months to research for a potential replacement before something happen in January.

i actually have no real problems all round with this. Bentley wants to better himself, fine. someone made an offer for him, fine. we turned it down, fine.
at least he's not doing like a Berahino and demanding that we sell at any price. I'd hope that Brown, Martin whoever, would have sat him down and said that he can only go for a certain price and until that's met he goes nowhere.

it might well be that keeping him and stay up is worth the loss in transfer revenue. maybe.

besides, strange things happen in football

i actually have no real problems all round with this. Bentley wants to better himself, fine. someone made an offer for him, fine. we turned it down, fine.
at least he's not doing like a Berahino and demanding that we sell at any price. I'd hope that Brown, Martin whoever, would have sat him down and said that he can only go for a certain price and until that's met he goes nowhere.

it might well be that keeping him and stay up is worth the loss in transfer revenue. maybe.

besides, strange things happen in football

I agree with this. Bentley has played this as well as he could - clearly wanted to go - didn't get his move - has never thrown his toys out - has never let it affect his performance - but has now politely said that a new contract will not be signed. Nothing wrong with the way he's handled this.

The real question - and we'll never know the answer - is what SUFC wanted to achieve from this. If it was to retain Bentley for a season and take a reduced fee at tribunal, they've done well too. If they wanted to extract maximum value clearly they've ballsed it up. We need to remember that however much we appreciate Bentley he's only worth what a purchaser is prepared to pay. Equally, whilst we may feel Bentley is worth a lot of cash, if you were a championship club trying to BUY a decent keeper you don't have to spend too much money. Half the keepers in that league were free transfers and the guy who QPR went for in the end - Smithies - cost £1.5m and he is proven at that level and has his best years ahead of him. Maybe the market for goalkeepers generally isn't as lucrative as we think. £29m for De Gea is cheap considering that a top quality forward goes for double.

Given that SUFC have conducted this whole thing very publicly I rather suspect they were trying to start a bidding war. As one didn't start they may now be rueing the fact they didn't take what QPR are offering.

Last edited:
possibly, but i would think/hope that we've looked at what we think we can get for him as against what we'd gain by staying up plus what the chances are of Ted taking over after this season. all in all i'd say that as long as Bentley won't stop trying then it's worth us keeping him, even against his will, for the season no matter what

De Gea has just signed a new 4 year deal with option for another year! Come on Bents, he acted like a dick when he wanted a move but has signed a new deal. You know you want to, we could do with a massive sell on clause.

De Gea has just signed a new 4 year deal with option for another year! Come on Bents, he acted like a dick when he wanted a move but has signed a new deal. You know you want to, we could do with a massive sell on clause.

There might be a slight difference mate in signing a new deal with one of the biggest clubs in the world and signing a new deal at Man United :smile:

There might be a slight difference mate in signing a new deal with one of the biggest clubs in the world and signing a new deal at Man United :smile:

In comparison though De Gea is better off not signing if you think of the money he would get? Madrid would have him on a free he would get a massive sell on fee. Plus Madrid are bigger than United.

In comparison though De Gea is better off not signing if you think of the money he would get? Madrid would have him on a free he would get a massive sell on fee. Plus Madrid are bigger than United.

I think my initial response might have gone over your head mate...

When you 10 million a year sell on fees don't seem quite so important...

Good to see someone not do what most prem players do and decide to strike just because they can't get their big move.

Top marks to DB for handling the situation with a level of professionalism and maturity that is rarely seen nowadays.

I suppose if anyone had wanted DB badly enough they would have bid enough to get him. I'm surprised a Prem club (or even Hull / QPR) wouldn't go to £2m, which I would have thought would have done the deal. But clubs will have done their due diligence and for whatever reason don't value him as highly as that. Also, maybe we just don't need a quick £1m like we would have in the past. No one seems to know where the money's coming from at the mo but its been a while since any rumours of late wages & unpaid tax bills have been floating around. It just may be in our current situation that keeping DB for another year then losing him for free is the better option? Who knows..

Good to see someone not do what most prem players do and decide to strike just because they can't get their big move.

Top marks to DB for handling the situation with a level of professionalism and maturity that is rarely seen nowadays.

Sorry this isn't true, most premier do not go on strike!!!

Most get on with the job they are paid to do, which is exactly the same as Bents, so I'm sorry that is the norm, not the exception!!

Only the odd few throw a tantrum and go on strike

I suppose if anyone had wanted DB badly enough they would have bid enough to get him. I'm surprised a Prem club (or even Hull / QPR) wouldn't go to £2m, which I would have thought would have done the deal. But clubs will have done their due diligence and for whatever reason don't value him as highly as that. Also, maybe we just don't need a quick £1m like we would have in the past. No one seems to know where the money's coming from at the mo but its been a while since any rumours of late wages & unpaid tax bills have been floating around. It just may be in our current situation that keeping DB for another year then losing him for free is the better option? Who knows..
*cough* *cough* http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/show...MRC-v-Southend-United-Football-Club-(The)-Ltd

Back