• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
We have a pretty dreadful record at Millwall. Although many of us remember fondly our 4-1 success in the first ever League match at the New Den, that is our only League win there in the last 35 years.

We have an experienced referee for tomorrow's visit to South-east London. In charge is Mark Haywood from Wakefield, West Yorkshire (not to be confused with the other League referee Mark Heywood from Northwich). This is his tenth season as a League referee and we have seen very little of him in that time.

In fact he has refereed us just four times before.

The most recent was the end of season home match the season before last when we were jostling for play off positions with Burton. He was no better than average in a cardless match we shaded 1-0 thanks to a Corr goal.

Then the Shrimps v Shrimpers disgraceful performance (on many levels) in 2011/12 season (just one yellow apiece, Barker for us) when Mohsni left early.

Prior to that when Mohsni left it late with two goals in the 88th and 90th minutes at Crewe (1-3) also in 2011/12 when he showed an uncharacteristically high 6 yellows (4 to us) and finally in the 2-1 defeat at Northampton 2010/11 with the game's only yellow card going to Mohsni.

He rose through the ranks quite quickly and his card count has always been very comfortably the right side of average and he is getting plenty of Championship matches. This season, his 7 matches have produced 23 yellows and a red. Viewed as a "safe pair of hands".

Assistants are Robert Massey-Ellis (best known for being married to Premiership Assistant Referee, Sian Massey) from Coventry and Matt Foley from London. The 4th official is Andy Laver from Portsmouth.

Assistants are Robert Massey-Ellis (best known for being married to Premiership Assistant Referee, Sian Massey) from Coventry and Matt Foley from London. The 4th official is Andy Laver from Portsmouth.

Did he take her name?! :stunned:

And that ladies and gentlemen is how you referee a game of football.

Agree, went totally unnoticed.

Not sure his positioning on the penalty shout on Piggott, but it looked like one he could have given as opposed to one he should have given from my vantage point, Would be interested to hear other's views on that.

If we had lost because of that penalty not being given, then I am sure that opinions on here would be polar opposite.

If we had lost because of that penalty not being given, then I am sure that opinions on here would be polar opposite.

Our Mark Haywood (unlike his namesake Mark Heywood who sent off a player at Peterborough for accidentally throwing a water bottle off the pitch and into the crowd) had a very steady match, as his his wont. He is an experienced official who doesn't over-react and tries to avoid controversy.

He made it clear from the outset that he was going to err on the side of not giving borderline fouls which by and large worked even though we missed out on a penalty. (There was also one poor challenge near the end by the dugouts which I thought might have been a card but wasn't even a free-kick!) He was not intimidated by the Millwall crowd who are a bit excitable and he and his assistants performed very even-handedly. Comfortably the most competent of the three teams on display.

Yep, thought the ref was very good on Saturday.

FWIW, I didn't think it was a definite pen. One of those that you sometimes get.....

Agree, went totally unnoticed.

Not sure his positioning on the penalty shout on Piggott, but it looked like one he could have given as opposed to one he should have given from my vantage point, Would be interested to hear other's views on that.

Given it was a long pass from the halfway line, he was exactly where one would expect him to be.

Given it was a long pass from the halfway line, he was exactly where one would expect him to be.

You don't subscribe to the (world expert that is) Helen Chamberlain's view then? She complained once that a linesman wasn't one the goal line when a shot came in from about 45 yards, and crossed the line but wasn't given. She said something along the lines of he should have been there because that's his job. Forgetting that he was correctly in line with the defenders and even Usain Bolt wouldn't be able to run half the length of the pitch in about 3-4 seconds with a standing start and no warning.

It was after that that I switched off and haven't watched that ridiculous programme since.

You don't subscribe to the (world expert that is) Helen Chamberlain's view then? She complained once that a linesman wasn't one the goal line when a shot came in from about 45 yards, and crossed the line but wasn't given. She said something along the lines of he should have been there because that's his job. Forgetting that he was correctly in line with the defenders and even Usain Bolt wouldn't be able to run half the length of the pitch in about 3-4 seconds with a standing start and no warning.

It was after that that I switched off and haven't watched that ridiculous programme since.

On balance I think the view of Helen Chamberlain is better than Helen Chamberlain's view.

(There is one exception to that situation you described. The Tottenham goal at Old Trafford that was so far over the line just about everyone in the ground could see it!)

Zoners congratulating a referee. Whatever next !!:winking:

Keep up the good work, Mick. Love the Ref Watch !! :thumbsup:

Back