• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just found this on the council website.https://publicaccess.southend.gov.u...do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O5U4NXPA0D800Only applied for 2 weeks ago. Anyone know anything about this?

This is what I get when I follow the link:

This application is no longer available for viewing. It may have been removed or restricted from public viewing.

You've scared it off I think.

Is it the new scoping plan already mentioned on here? This is the full link:-

https://publicaccess.southend.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O5U4NXPA0D800

There's a thread on this on the other forum. It's a scoping opinion request, nothing to get too excited about.

Have read through it, and skimmed the updated plans upon which the scoping is requested.

All it suggests to me is that there is probably another 3-4 months worth of additional survey & monitoring work required to back-up the proposals now potentially being tabled.

In short, we are as far away from the 'spade in the ground' reality as we have probably ever been since the original scheme was granted conditional planning all those years ago.

Even if the Council look favourably upon the updated scale of the development, and the desktop survey works required show up minimal barriers to progression, it'll still realistically take until the middle of next year to get approval, tender the job and agree a contract - loosely suggest a 12 month build time to deliver the basis of the first phase of the stadium (alone), and that sees us in (half) a new stadium by the start of the 2018/2019 season...

Have read through it, and skimmed the updated plans upon which the scoping is requested.

All it suggests to me is that there is probably another 3-4 months worth of additional survey & monitoring work required to back-up the proposals now potentially being tabled.

In short, we are as far away from the 'spade in the ground' reality as we have probably ever been since the original scheme was granted conditional planning all those years ago.

Even if the Council look favourably upon the updated scale of the development, and the desktop survey works required show up minimal barriers to progression, it'll still realistically take until the middle of next year to get approval, tender the job and agree a contract - loosely suggest a 12 month build time to deliver the basis of the first phase of the stadium (alone), and that sees us in (half) a new stadium by the start of the 2018/2019 season...

That's good news, I was expecting much longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good news, I was expecting much longer.

Take this with a pinch of salt - this is if EVERYTHING (site investigations, transport assessment, planning approval) goes smoothly and no major objections/judicial reviews are lodged, which I very much doubt.
FF is undeniably an out-of-town site, and the planning mix proposed in the scoping documents is very heavy on mixed retail, and the cinema conflicts somewhat with the Seaway/Lucy Road masterplan proposals.

So that would be 2018/19 season in a perfect world.

In reality, the plans will have to be altered a few times and the planning application process will be fraught with obstacles, so this could push things way out in terms of programme. All the while, Ron has to hope British Land maintain their interest in the non-football elements, and that the market doesn't crash - the EU referendum could have a say in all of this too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The important thing is that it happens- if we move in two years down the road or five is secondary to that. At least it is alive a kicking.

The important thing is that it happens- if we move in two years down the road or five is secondary to that. At least it is alive a kicking.

In a sense yes, but time could kill the project. Changes in the political climate drive our economy, and we could see either a boom or a crash in construction, so this could have a profound effect on whether we can fund the project again.

Take this with a pinch of salt - this is if EVERYTHING (site investigations, transport assessment, planning approval) goes smoothly and no major objections/judicial reviews are lodged, which I very much doubt.
FF is undeniably an out-of-town site, and the planning mix proposed in the scoping documents is very heavy on mixed retail, and the cinema conflicts somewhat with the Seaway/Lucy Road masterplan proposals.

So that would be 2018/19 season in a perfect world.

In reality, the plans will have to be altered a few times and the planning application process will be fraught with obstacles, so this could push things way out in terms of programme. All the while, Ron has to hope British Land maintain their interest in the non-football elements, and that the market doesn't crash - the EU referendum could have a say in all of this too.

Whoever was chairman would have the same problems, some of which have previously been agreed. BL obviously have more faith than you, otherwise they would not be part of the scheme in the first place.

Whoever was chairman would have the same problems, some of which have previously been agreed. BL obviously have more faith than you, otherwise they would not be part of the scheme in the first place.

Not true - if we had a Chairman who actually had cash in the bank, we wouldn't necessarily have required a development partner such as BL to get involved.
Nowhere did I say that I don't have faith - merely that there are a number of hurdles to overcome, and it could be a long road ahead (yet again) - and that comes off the back of delivering numerous stadium developments over the last 10 years.

Not true - if we had a Chairman who actually had cash in the bank, we wouldn't necessarily have required a development partner such as BL to get involved.
Nowhere did I say that I don't have faith - merely that there are a number of hurdles to overcome, and it could be a long road ahead (yet again) - and that comes off the back of delivering numerous stadium developments over the last 10 years.

But we haven't and we never have had. Ron hasn't lied, he has always needed a partner and BL are abetter option than Sainsbury's.

Even if Russian or Arab took over today he would still have to go through the planning process.

They don't look that different to October's exhibition plans to me. A slight increase in residential floorspace and a slight decrease in parking spots, and the actual stadium appears to have moved 90 degrees. Am I missing something?

Plus we never actually put a full planning application in for the exhibition blueprint.

The actual parking with Southend council has increased, but Rochford's has gone down significantly (830-454) .

The overall building square m has only gone up by less than 2% overall , or around 3.5% if you ignore the stadium

But we haven't and we never have had. Ron hasn't lied, he has always needed a partner and BL are abetter option than Sainsbury's.

Even if Russian or Arab took over today he would still have to go through the planning process.

Yes, very true, but we wouldn't have had to keep modifying the masterplan to incorporate ever-increasing amounts of third party activity such as retail, food and cinema to justify the business plan - a rich Arab/Russian would have the cash to simply build a self-sustaining stadium development.
By continually changing the plan to suit a development partner's profit requirements, we further delay the process and make it increasingly more difficult to get the approval.

Back