• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As others have said Bolger deserves huge credit. I think we forget he was out for a little while with an injury and has come back in and been really solid I think. That's really not an easy task, to just slot back in after injury, adding to the fact he played with Barrett last week and Prosser this week, he has coped really well. Baring in mind this is a player a lot of people didn't have faith in at times last season. He is now showing his potential. Still a very young player too. Once settled down, I think O'Neil, Bolger, Prosser, and Coker has the makings of a really strong back four.

Agree with your comments about Bolger. From a target of the boo boys only last March to every ones favourite CH. Two very steady games in a week shows that he now believes in himself.

It would appear some people are itching for John White to be replaced. The first job of a full back is to defend anyone notice O'Neil's two hashed clearances that led to their goal yesterday?

Rather rude.

Their just above average number 10 was coming into the game more and was starting to assert himself more. I am more than happy for Deeegan to make those 'challenges' if it helps the team, which on this occasion it did

Give it up Dave, some people just don't see it I'm afraid. I love Deegan and was delighted he signed.

You have missed the point. The number 10 was getting more influential and needed to be quietened down. Better the tackle be made there than in a dangerous position

If it was a strong tackle fine; but if was a dangerous foul with no attempt to play the ball. The guy wasn't that good, so I stand by my earlier comment as it was a stupid booking

Their player could have been seriously injured and you're praising that!!

If it was a strong tackle fine; but if was a dangerous foul with no attempt to play the ball. The guy wasn't that good, so I stand by my earlier comment as it was a stupid booking

Was it dangerous? Not all yellow card tackles are dangerous. That is just your opinion and not a fact, that same as mine is. There are quite a few people who think the same as me. Vive la Deegan

Coker: "I don’t know why the fans get on our backs. They need to get behind us a lot more. We’ve just got promoted & we’re in a new league."

BC: "If we go a goal down or lose the ball they just start moaning. A certain section of our fans are really good & a certain section aren’t''

Where is that from?

​
457d7e864fa04094400fc6033e807d89_zpswieh4kwq.jpg

Thanks Tucking Shrimper; PB and Cokes have said a few truths for sure.
There are times when PB hears the same old moans and stuff from the same people and he turns and looks at the crowd in real dismay and disdain. The players must hear it, they must talk about it and some are likely to read it on this site. Slagging is not supporting and how some "fans" mark Joe as 2 or 3/10 is without merit on their part - Ricketts was possibly the worse in a Blue shirt and "earned" 2/10 for turning up and being alive (just)...

That raises an interesting (or perhaps not) question as to quite what these scores mean to people.

For me I am struggling to think of circumstances where a player would earn less than a 4. :unsure:

The only example I can think of is M'Voto away at Hartlepool where he was a liability in the back four - suggesting that we would have been better off if the player had simply walked off the pitch and the game had continued with only 10 men.

Off topic I know , but speaking to a Col U sth at work ( won't say friend as its step too far ) , he said that last week at home to Gillingham ( who I think we're top at that point ) Garvan ran the game and was show boating at the end much to the delight of our six fingered cousins.
His comment was "he is absolute class and a big upgrade on Wordsworth" ( who he did rate also ).
Just wonder if we could have found room for him as some of our midfield are quite similar and lack creativity despite a strong work ethic.
As a counter balance , he added that Col U were "dreadful at the back and will concede a shed load of goals".
Bring on the Boxing Day fun.

That raises an interesting (or perhaps not) question as to quite what these scores mean to people.

Bugger all to me personally, more interested in the why a player was good or bad than an abstract number. But then, I watch far too much YouTube, where reviews don't use scores like thatn

Thanks Tucking Shrimper; PB and Cokes have said a few truths for sure.
There are times when PB hears the same old moans and stuff from the same people and he turns and looks at the crowd in real dismay and disdain. The players must hear it, they must talk about it and some are likely to read it on this site. Slagging is not supporting and how some "fans" mark Joe as 2 or 3/10 is without merit on their part - Ricketts was possibly the worse in a Blue shirt and "earned" 2/10 for turning up and being alive (just)...

Phil Brown was certainly looking back in utter disbelief up into the East Stand when we played absolutely brilliant and thrashed Millwall 4-1 in the FA cup. ''YOUR RUBBISH SOUTHEND'', ''THIS IS PARK FOOTBALL''. Lenny probably had his best game ever and he got a, ''YOU'RE RUBBISH LEONARD, GO HOME TO PLYMOUTH''.........What Phil Brown didn't know is that it was Dagenham Kev (He has issues and is not the full ticket)at his finest. The better Southend played, the louder DK shouted, slagging them off. To balance it up, Dagenham Kev shouts out ''WELL PLAYED SOUTHEND, BRILLIANT FOOTBALL'' When we are losing and playing terrible.

Song, skip and smile........no , just stay on the bench and watch the rest of the game........a universally accepted practice despite the frustration of being subbed

Have to agree it was a ridiculous challenge that could have been dealt with more severely or later cost us if he got a second yellow. In the old days you could get away with those sorts of challenges these days no chance.

Was it dangerous? Not all yellow card tackles are dangerous. That is just your opinion and not a fact, that same as mine is. There are quite a few people who think the same as me. Vive la Deegan

So would you praise him if he got a red? I'm not saying it was but on another day he might have done or got the tackle even later and broken the guys leg. It was defo reckless

Ok I stand corrected on the Piggot going down the tunnel issue....I saw him go down the tunnel, didn't see him return......my bad

And was back and sitting on the bench, following the game within 2 minutes. Give him a break! We sit dead opposite and could see him clearly.

Lol, well, you know two of them very well so should know how quick they are or aren't! Am gutted that you got those two as we've been watching them at Charlton a lot in the last few seasons and couldn't believe Luzon wasn't interested.

Re: Deegan's challenge - I looked at his reaction straight afterwards and it was very sheepish, holding his hands up, possibly even gesturing to the bench that it was silly; one that suggested he wasn't deliberately taking one for the team, just a very late challenge and I think it was a coincidence it was on their 10.

I think he and Timlin are treading on thin ice at the moment. Timlin could easily have gone for his lunge just after the second goal against Peterborough and to be honest I thought he was a tad lucky to get away with a yellow at Millwall last week for that late challenge in the first half. His foot looked off the ground; not sure anyone brought that incident up.

Back