• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
I was passing by Boots & Laces today and couldn't resist popping in to watch the end of training. All I caught was the very start till finish of shooting practice. G Coughlan must have seen my thread a while back where I said shooting practice was basically rubbish, with hardly any routines. Today was so much better. Much more professional with lots of routines and much more encouragement from GC. Weston was much better today, I was very impressed. Normally he couldn't hit a barn door. Lenny and Payne were just O.K. Pigott shaded it for me, and really showed that he is a very good striker of the ball. If GC threw him a bad ball, he has very quick feet to adjust and still get a good accurate shot in. Now he just needs to adjust his game on the pitch with hunger, desire, effort and much more nous, to find space to get those great shots in on goal. Maybe he also needs a bit of gym work, to bulk up a little to not get outmuscled so much by defenders.

I was passing by Boots & Laces today and couldn't resist popping in to watch the end of training. All I caught was the very start till finish of shooting practice. G Coughlan must have seen my thread a while back where I said shooting practice was basically rubbish, with hardly any routines. Today was so much better. Much more professional with lots of routines and much more encouragement from GC. Weston was much better today, I was very impressed. Normally he couldn't hit a barn door. Lenny and Payne were just O.K. Pigott shaded it for me, and really showed that he is a very good striker of the ball. If GC threw him a bad ball, he has very quick feet to adjust and still get a good accurate shot in. Now he just needs to adjust his game on the pitch with hunger, desire, effort and much more nous, to find space to get those great shots in on goal. Maybe he also needs a bit of gym work, to bulk up a little to not get outmuscled so much by defenders.

Not much then. Bit early for Tuesday, but he should be able to knock those out by Saturday.

Except of course the penalty at Wembley which was first class.

Last edited:
I have noticed that our shooting in the pre match warm up has improved this season, most are actually on target now, it is a shame though that they can't replicate that in the match. But at least we're going in the right direction.

I find it rather worrying that so many professionals can't hit what is let's face it, quite a big target, in training they should be finding the net 75-80% of the time, harder in a match but what sort of success rate are we talking about in training TSNB ?

I find it rather worrying that so many professionals can't hit what is let's face it, quite a big target, in training they should be finding the net 75-80% of the time, harder in a match but what sort of success rate are we talking about in training TSNB ?
I'd be amazed if players are told to just put it anywhere in the net because in a match hitting it dead center of the goal is going to be saved easily.

I'd be amazed if players are told to just put it anywhere in the net because in a match hitting it dead center of the goal is going to be saved easily.

Wasn't Coker's goal on Saturday pretty much dead centre? It wasn't really into the far bottom corner.

Funnily enough cricket bowlers struggle to hit the stumps when practising, you would think it was easy, plainly it is not.

He cut in from the left and his shot went across the goal to the bottom right hand corner.

If you look at the video, the keeper is so far over to the left hand post that the ball probably crosses the line in the middle of the goal because it hits the back right corner of the net.

It's not a criticism, it was a great goal. If the keeper is in a bad position then there's no harm in hitting it at the middle of the goal. Coker did the right thing in shooting across goal.

Except of course he penalty at Wembley which was first class.

I am ashamed to admit that his penalty at Wembley was the only one I turned my back on, I was not confident, I have since seen it several times and owe him a huge apology, 1st class pen!

The goal might be big but theres also a 6 foot plus goal keeper standing in it so the actual space they have to shoot at is much smaller. By aiming for the corners they are therefore much more likely to shoot off target than if they shot for the centre of the goal.

My impression (rightly or wrongly) is that our players seem very reluctant to shoot from around the edge of the box, there appear a number of occasions during a game when I and I imagine a few others are willing the player to shoot, but they invariably don't... Maybe because they don't have the confidence or are discouraged to have a go?? Either way round it's quite frustrating.

My impression (rightly or wrongly) is that our players seem very reluctant to shoot from around the edge of the box, there appear a number of occasions during a game when I and I imagine a few others are willing the player to shoot, but they invariably don't... Maybe because they don't have the confidence or are discouraged to have a go?? Either way round it's quite frustrating.
It's more frustrating when the crowd pressure a player to shoot who either doesn't have the ability to score from distance or is in a bad position. Leonard frequently shoots from outside the box and it frequently goes way off target. I'd much rather we kept the ball to create an opportunity in the box where we're more likely to score.

Wasn't Coker's goal on Saturday pretty much dead centre? It wasn't really into the far bottom corner.

Have a look at the photo on the OS.
It's a great angle , taken right behind Coker.
From that , it seems it couldn't have been any more in the far corner.

Have a look at the photo on the OS.
It's a great angle , taken right behind Coker.
From that , it seems it couldn't have been any more in the far corner.

I think what Pubey means is the point where the ball crossed the line on its way from left to right corner of the goal was in fact the centre of the goal line. An important point in this discussion.:winking:

Back