• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think what Pubey means is the point where the ball crossed the line on its way from left to right corner of the goal was in fact the centre of the goal line. An important point in this discussion.:winking:

Still looks right in the corner to me , but I have known to be wrong on ocassions !

Still looks right in the corner to me , but I have known to be wrong on ocassions !

If it was right in the corner from that angle some part of the ball would have hit the post.

Any trigonometry experts in tonight?

Wasn't Coker's goal on Saturday pretty much dead centre? It wasn't really into the far bottom corner.

In training when there isn't a keeper in goal you need another way to improve accuracy, hence you aim at the corners. Obviously in a match if the keeper is to one side of the goal you can get away with hitting the centre of the goal, but you wouldn't want players to make a habit out of it because in most situations that isn't going to score a goal or even force a corner.

If it was right in the corner from that angle some part of the ball would have hit the post.

Any trigonometry experts in tonight?

All I remember about Trigonometry is : The angle of the dangle is equal to the heat of the meat times the mass of the ***. Not sure if this helps though:smile:

I find it rather worrying that so many professionals can't hit what is let's face it, quite a big target, in training they should be finding the net 75-80% of the time, harder in a match but what sort of success rate are we talking about in training TSNB ?

About 60% into an open goal with a moving ball, edge of the penalty area.

The late Ian Hutchison who played up front alongside Peter Osgood in the great Chelsea side of the late 60s early 70s openly admitted that his ''technique'' was that as soon as he had sight of goal he would just hit the ball as hard as possible in the general direction of the keeper. He laughed because he recognised that he rarely hit the ball perfectly and as a result he reckoned that lots of his goals swerved and dipped to the left or right of the keeper and ended up being lauded by the commentators on TV as being great strikes !!
Different times indeed.

It's more frustrating when the crowd pressure a player to shoot who either doesn't have the ability to score from distance or is in a bad position. Leonard frequently shoots from outside the box and it frequently goes way off target. I'd much rather we kept the ball to create an opportunity in the box where we're more likely to score.

I'd much rather players concentrated on trying to have shots that if they catch right they'll go in, rather than just concentrating on getting it on target where if they get it right the keeper should still save. You don't often see Leonard's shots being saved by the keeper, yet he's probably got the most goals from long range over the last few seasons.

In training when there isn't a keeper in goal you need another way to improve accuracy, hence you aim at the corners. Obviously in a match if the keeper is to one side of the goal you can get away with hitting the centre of the goal, but you wouldn't want players to make a habit out of it because in most situations that isn't going to score a goal or even force a corner.

Surely this should be Ted Smith's role?

I. Pigott shaded it for me, and really showed that he is a very good striker of the ball. If GC threw him a bad ball, he has very quick feet to adjust and still get a good accurate shot in. Now he just needs to adjust his game on the pitch with hunger, desire, effort and much more nous, to find space to get those great shots in on goal./QUOTE]

Good spot TSNB !!

I was passing by Boots & Laces today and couldn't resist popping in to watch the end of training. All I caught was the very start till finish of shooting practice. G Coughlan must have seen my thread a while back where I said shooting practice was basically rubbish, with hardly any routines. Today was so much better. Much more professional with lots of routines and much more encouragement from GC. Weston was much better today, I was very impressed. Normally he couldn't hit a barn door. Lenny and Payne were just O.K. Pigott shaded it for me, and really showed that he is a very good striker of the ball. If GC threw him a bad ball, he has very quick feet to adjust and still get a good accurate shot in. Now he just needs to adjust his game on the pitch with hunger, desire, effort and much more nous, to find space to get those great shots in on goal. Maybe he also needs a bit of gym work, to bulk up a little to not get outmuscled so much by defenders.

Not much then. Bit early for Tuesday, but he should be able to knock those out by Saturday.

Shows that I know sod all. Pigott obviously could achieve the stuff you set him TSNB, and by Tuesday night.

I'd much rather players concentrated on trying to have shots that if they catch right they'll go in, rather than just concentrating on getting it on target where if they get it right the keeper should still save. You don't often see Leonard's shots being saved by the keeper, yet he's probably got the most goals from long range over the last few seasons.

Surely this should be Ted Smith's role?

Unfortunately there is a reason keepers don't normally bother to try and save Leonard's long range shots :winking:

Shows that I know sod all. Pigott obviously could achieve the stuff you set him TSNB, and by Tuesday night.

I'm the stupid one. I told everyone Deegan was the best player at training, and chomping at the bit. Now he's starting every match. That was a clue to back my own eyes. I then said Pigott was the best at shooting practice on Monday. I could have got 20/1 best price, for him to score 2 goals against Crewe. How stupid was I, not to have a little flutter, him to score anytime(1 goal), and two goals.

Back