• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Very good news. Agree with others that PB should think about starting him in a few games so he gets used to playing regularly as I presume he'll be first choice keeper from point DB leaves.

Dependent when Daniel goes, you may be a bit premature in your presumption. If he goes in January 16 there is no way that Ted could realistically come in and take over. He just doesn't have the nous and experience for FL1 yet.

Whoever signs him next summer will still have to pay a fee, so I don't believe it will make that much of a difference to his options or signing on fee, whether he's in or out of contract.

I don't agree he hasn't thrown his toys out the pram, as he came out in the local press saying he wanted to go to QPR and will never sign a new contract - why bother saying anything at all!!

Finally, he should be giving 100% after all we are still paying him; however is this going to be the case in the last couple of months of the season when he would know any injury could prevent him getting a contract anywhere

It makes a BIG difference. I'm sure some people still believe we're going to still receive 7 figures for Bentley. We won't. Not now. That chance has gone. We'll be lucky to get £500k in January or at a tribunal come the end of the season. And £1m+ off the asking price will certainly have a say in how many clubs are chasing Bentley from here on.

It makes a BIG difference. I'm sure some people still believe we're going to still receive 7 figures for Bentley. We won't. Not now. That chance has gone. We'll be lucky to get £500k in January or at a tribunal come the end of the season. And £1m+ off the asking price will certainly have a say in how many clubs are chasing Bentley from here on.

Not just that, the extra 1m or a good chunk of it will most likely end up in his agents or DB's pocket as a hefty signing on fee now the club won't have to pay a full amount for him. It's good business sense.

Great news we've tied ted down for now anyway.

Heard at the last home game that Bentley was off in January. Done deal apparently.

Dont take what people say at the ground for gospel.

We were told he was off last January and he wasnt.

If there really was a 'done deal' for January we would surely have done that deal 1 month ago and got more money.

Good. The more people that chase him the higher the price will be, whether he's under contract or not.

Good. The more people that chase him the higher the price will be, whether he's under contract or not.

Indeed, and he's already proven himself in L1, so his value will increase based on his experience and proven ability. While we might not get 6 figures, I hope we do still get a very decent sum (with add-ons).

Dont take what people say at the ground for gospel.

We were told he was off last January and he wasnt.

If there really was a 'done deal' for January we would surely have done that deal 1 month ago and got more money.

Perhaps the club were happy to keep Daniel for a couple of months, and hope that his saves etc gets us some valuable points. Sometimes money isn't everything.

If Dan does go (and I'd like him stick around forever personally) then it may be slightly too soon for Ted. Perhaps get a decent keeper in and loan Ted out to a League 2 club to get some game time under his belt, or start Ted in the cup matches, like Daniel did under Sturrock. Then Ted would be number one at the beginning of the next season.

Then they would surely be happy to keep him till the summer then.

Bentley may leave in January, but I would put "Bloke in stand" at about the same level of reliable information as Agent Jim and 'Bloke in Pub'.

Last year we were told he would be sold in January and loaned back to us, never happened. People just make crap up.

I'd have thought the time must be about right for getting Ted Smith out on loan somewhere local, enabling him to train with us a couple of days a week too. Must do him more good than warming the bench and a couple of 'development games'.

If Bentley is still here end of Jan and isn't signing a new deal then we should start easing Ted into that no.1 jersey.

If Bentley is still here end of Jan and isn't signing a new deal then we should start easing Ted into that no.1 jersey.

I agree. Regardless whether Ted is leaving in Jan or at the end of the season I think PB should seriously think about starting Ted in a few games from now until then. It's likely that he still won't be ready to be our 1st choice keeper, however, so I think a possible loan signing where PB can rotate the two keepers could work.

Either way, we all know TS is going to be our first choice keeper at some point so why not start getting him ready in the very near future?

Unless he turns out to be way over his head and in that case I'll keep quiet.

I agree. Regardless whether Ted is leaving in Jan or at the end of the season I think PB should seriously think about starting Ted in a few games from now until then. It's likely that he still won't be ready to be our 1st choice keeper, however, so I think a possible loan signing where PB can rotate the two keepers could work.

Either way, we all know TS is going to be our first choice keeper at some point so why not start getting him ready in the very near future?

Unless he turns out to be way over his head and in that case I'll keep quiet.

Maybe a loan until Jan otherwise we have our match against Crawley in the JPT coming up. I would be really disappointed if Bentley is picked for that match.

Bentley will 100% gone next Summer whatever happens.

That said he needs to play if he is here or what was the point in losing money in keeping him ? Smith should be given JPT games, but I doubt he will be first choice next season anyway.

Bentley will 100% gone next Summer whatever happens.

That said he needs to play if he is here or what was the point in losing money in keeping him ? Smith should be given JPT games, but I doubt he will be first choice next season anyway.

But depending on our situation come the end of Jan, surely if you were the manager you would be looking to start giving him games. Preparation and Bentley won't be here next season, it won't increase his stock because he's gone for a tribunal fee.

People are saying that Ted Smith is better if that's the case he needs more games. He has signed a 3 year deal he is playing in the England u20's which is something Bentley never achieved. Everyone is singing his praises seriously how badly can it harm us and him?

..... he's (Bentley) already proven himself in L1, so his value will increase based on his experience and proven ability. While we might not get 6 figures, I hope we do still get a very decent sum (with add-ons).

Agreed - Bentley has proved himself in this division - after 10 games I think we can all agree that he is not out of his depth at all.

I see Pope is keeping goal for Charlton ......... I rate him alongside Bentley so I don't think the division above will be too much for Dan either at this stage of his career.

Back