• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hull in the championship. The team just did not turn up on the day, in what was a huge game at the time. 3-0 down at half-time if memory serves, I have rarely felt so angry at a performance and could have happily gone home. We ended up losing 4-0 to top the day off, Hull's fans were racially abusing our black players which my younger brother mentioned to one of the old bill who told him to "**** off" (long story short tuned out it was Essex police!). We left the ground early none of us in a good mood at all.

Last edited:
ok, i've made my pick, it was a tough one, there are so many to choose from. But I'm surprised (unless I've missed it) that no one yet has chosen Aylesbury away in the FA Cup Round One. "All over the land they will be singing quack quack quack" proudly announced the PA man at the end - it still haunts me to this day.

Safely over 600 miles from Southend, I was stopped by the local policeman one night for a faulty tail light. Having given me words of advice on getting it fixed he nodded towards my Southend shirt and said, "Southend? I did security at one of your games when I was a Policeman in England.... Aylesbury in the cup..." I sank lower into my seat, trying vainly to find a corner to hide in "....you were ****," he said cheerfully. I couldn't argue.

For me it was an away game against Walsall midweek in the LDV/Naff Daff/****PoorPaintPot or whatever it was called in those days. It was at their old ground and I went on my own by car for some reason I still can't explain. It absolutely poured down with rain and the roof of the terrace was leaking forming a visitor attraction to rival Niagara Falls. We lost 3-0 so I left about 15 mins before the end as we were getting hammered, only to find my car had been boxed in in the car park so I had to wait until the game was over to get out of the car park.and it was freezing cold and I nearly crashed the car en route home when a car came out of a side road and I very nearly T Boned it. I was soaking wet all the way home.

Other 'forgettable' away games were Aylesbury, Morecambe, Lincoln.

Great away games were Aldershot (5-0), Everton (although 0-1 the atmosphere was brilliant), Chelsea (1-1), Spurs (twice), Millwall every time we've beaten them.

It was not my worst away game,but my-our late mate Whitty(rip mate)..think Nobbler wrote about this before..
It was the 71-72 season,Barrow away..We left Roots Hall,friday night,midnight,traveled the whole night, but before the game kicked off,he decided to have a short "kip",then wake up and see the game..sadly for him,he woke up as we got back on the coach after the game had finished...all that way for nowt.Think we also lost the game 2-0??
was that correct Nobbler??You have a better memory than me!!
Not sure about my memory Ozzie? but you were right about the match it was Barrow but the score was 2-1(Terry Johnson). After this game on the 19th.Feb.'72 we had 18 matches left we won 10, drew 7 & lost only 1(1-2 at home to Cambridge Utd. when Derek Bellotti broke his arm),
scoring over 30 goals "HAPPY DAYS".

ok, i've made my pick, it was a tough one, there are so many to choose from. But I'm surprised (unless I've missed it) that no one yet has chosen Aylesbury away in the FA Cup Round One. "All over the land they will be singing quack quack quack" proudly announced the PA man at the end - it still haunts me to this day.

The very worst thing about that was they used the goal (Cliff Hercules) as part of the FA Cup Match of the Day introduction montage. At the back of the stand, clear as day, you can see me. You can see me sink my head into my hands in utter despair, embarrassment, etc etc..... And I got to see that, every bloody FA Cup Saturday, all the way up to the FA Cup Final.

For me it was an away game against Walsall midweek in the LDV/Naff Daff/****PoorPaintPot or whatever it was called in those days. It was at their old ground and I went on my own by car for some reason I still can't explain. It absolutely poured down with rain and the roof of the terrace was leaking forming a visitor attraction to rival Niagara Falls. We lost 3-0 so I left about 15 mins before the end as we were getting hammered, only to find my car had been boxed in in the car park so I had to wait until the game was over to get out of the car park.and it was freezing cold and I nearly crashed the car en route home when a car came out of a side road and I very nearly T Boned it. I was soaking wet all the way home.

4-1. Didn't part of the roof actually come off?

It was our third consecutive Tuesday away game, the previous two being at Torquay (which is also up there as forgettable away days) and Hartlepool (where I missed our goal coz I was in the loo). And we complain about the fixtures computer!!!

The very worst thing about that was they used the goal (Cliff Hercules) as part of the FA Cup Match of the Day introduction montage. At the back of the stand, clear as day, you can see me. You can see me sink my head into my hands in utter despair, embarrassment, etc etc..... And I got to see that, every bloody FA Cup Saturday, all the way up to the FA Cup Final.
I think (from memory) that the scorer was Glenville Donegal (?) but Hercules was their main man.

Mansfield - Feb. '89. A 4-0 defeat whilst watching in the pouring rain from the open away end. The team had to play in Mansfield's red away kit as (I guess) our blue and yellow combinations in those days clashed with their home kit. Horrific journey home (to London, then) via a bus that took an hour and 40 mins. to Mansfield & Alfreton Parkway, one hour wait for the train, and then about two and a half hours on the train to King's Cross. I got to The Argyll Arms off Oxford Street for 10.30pm so my mood brightened then. A teaser for you all: which famous Shrimper made his debut that day?

For me I can't believe that I went to Burnley on 31st December 1994

so cold that day, some crappy portacabin for half time refreshments with pie and bovril the only hot food on sale, took one bite of the pie and dumped in the pile of pies that everyone else had taken one bite out of and thrown on the floor... bovril never tasted so good! Never seen a ground quite like it, like stepping back in time, no toilets just a wall to **** up! we were very poor that day, down to 9 men, playing in burnleys kit and celebrating the New Year on a coach of depressed shrimpers! happy days... glad Burnley went down that season!

Such matches are character forming. They make you appreciate the good times.

I think we had Mark Stimpson as sweeper, Andy Harris and Ben Lewis as centre-halves. They were so bad we actually missed Keith ****ing Dublin.

I've had a few strong Ukrainian beers. I read that as 'Barry Harris at centre half'

To be fair, couldn't have been much worse than the two you actually wroteabout.

As memory serves not only did it get called off for being waterlogged but next time it was cancelled for being Fog Bound.

I drove up to the third attempt which was before Christmas and there were a small handful of us to witness us getting thrashed. Memories fading but I remember several penalties in the game against us.

I certainly remember going to a Grimsby match mid-week and the weather was fine all the way only to find the Cleethorpes masked in thick fog and the game called off after we arrived. Complete waste of time.

I still start to shake and quiver whenever I hear a duck quacking ............. an appalling day.

I remember going to an away game at Rotherham's old ground - not the running track but before that. The ground is still there and visible from their current location.

We were 2-0 down at half-time and down to 10 men. I went home as the pie I had eaten had decided to retaliate by giving me stomach pains and cramps.

When I got home I saw the final score was 2-2. I can't imagine how that was possible.

Mansfield - Feb. '89. A 4-0 defeat whilst watching in the pouring rain from the open away end. The team had to play in Mansfield's red away kit as (I guess) our blue and yellow combinations in those days clashed with their home kit. Horrific journey home (to London, then) via a bus that took an hour and 40 mins. to Mansfield & Alfreton Parkway, one hour wait for the train, and then about two and a half hours on the train to King's Cross. I got to The Argyll Arms off Oxford Street for 10.30pm so my mood brightened then. A teaser for you all: which famous Shrimper made his debut that day?

Stevie T .

There's been a few as people have mentioned. Gillingham away lost 8-1; Crystal Palace away 8-0 and the cup game at Ayselbury. Ultimate low for me was Scarborough. Winner to play Chelsea in the next round and we blow it. Went back to our seafront hotel with the intention of having a few drinks to dull he pain only for a coach load of rather elderly people to arrive and proceed to have a piano backed sing song in the bar. All of the old favourites came out including my own particular favourite "Hang out your washing on the siegfried line". When the entertainer started toasting the local teams victory I nearly made a run for the cliffs

There's been a few as people have mentioned. Gillingham away lost 8-1; Crystal Palace away 8-0 and the cup game at Ayselbury. Ultimate low for me was Scarborough. Winner to play Chelsea in the next round and we blow it. Went back to our seafront hotel with the intention of having a few drinks to dull he pain only for a coach load of rather elderly people to arrive and proceed to have a piano backed sing song in the bar. All of the old favourites came out including my own particular favourite "Hang out your washing on the siegfried line". When the entertainer started toasting the local teams victory I nearly made a run for the cliffs

Ha!The Gills away game (when Steve Phillips scored for us) and The Palace L.Cup game when I realised Paul Clark's career for us was all but over (Wright and Bright both helped themseves to hat-tricks, IIRC) were the two games I was going to mention!:sad:

But it's all character forming.

Not sure about my memory Ozzie? but you were right about the match it was Barrow but the score was 2-1(Terry Johnson). After this game on the 19th.Feb.'72 we had 18 matches left we won 10, drew 7 & lost only 1(1-2 at home to Cambridge Utd. when Derek Bellotti broke his arm),
scoring over 30 goals "HAPPY DAYS".

I remember it to be his collar bone. And i believe Spud Taylor and someone else ended up in goal that night

Grimsby away early 90's I think - got all the way there on supporters coach only for it to be called off for water logged pitch.

Yes i was on that coach too. Called off due to the thick sea fog that had rolled into cleethorpes just before kick off. Wouldn't have been so bad but we could see it was getting foggy about an hour away from the ground. Coach driver phoned to see if match wss still on and grimsby said yes "it's clear as a bell here" ....so on we went. Seem to remember the supporters coach stopping in the pub for a few hours on the way home on the A1.

As memory serves not only did it get called off for being waterlogged but next time it was cancelled for being Fog Bound.

I drove up to the third attempt which was before Christmas and there were a small handful of us to witness us getting thrashed. Memories fading but I remember several penalties in the game against us.

I think there was about 30 of us there on the night it was finally played....lost 4-1 , i think. Vowed never go to Grimsby again and never have.

Back