• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
Throwing this question out to the SZ family....

My daughter who is now 4/5 months needs a placement at a primary school as you need to look at options early to get a place, we live in Rayleigh (as hockleys favourite son I am only on loan to Rayleigh and some day to return) and we are looking at various schools and that's all well and good but I was privately educated at St Michales in Leigh and I am a big believer in private education also I would like Church of England like I was as I think a church school teaches good wholesome ethics.

To send our little girl private would cost me about 3K per term which we can afford at a push as me and Mrs TrueBlue both work, and this is further helped as my dad would be quite happy for her to go private and pay for it himself, the problem I have is we plan to have another 2 kids but no way could I send them all private.

So my questions are what's your views on private education? And if you could only send 1 out of 3 is that fair? Or should you just send all to a state school?

Thanks peeps

My personal opinion is that you should treat them all the same. Subsequent children may grow up feeling it was unfair on them if they don't get given the same benefit of private schooling. There are some excellent primary schools in both Rayleigh and Hockley and in my honest opinion, a good state school is almost as good as private schooling.

I do know of plenty of people who have started them at state schools and moved them as their circumstances changed so maybe that is an option to consider. Maybe talk to your dad, if he feels happy enough about it then he may be prepared to pay for them all!

I'll admit to briefly considering private schools but you are better off finding a decent state school.

Unless you want your child to write for The Guardian or be a presenter in BBC2/Radio 4 in which case a 3 grand a term Essex school won't cut the mustard.

Education begins at home from birth, not some secondary or private school

Give them a decent up bringing, sit and read and interact with them, then you have the perfect schooling.

Too many tools blame everything else in society rather than look on their own doorsteps, when kids are not doing well, if your children can mix in the correct enviroment they will find friends of equal ability regardless of schooling council or private.

UTS

You're in a town/area with some of the best state schools in the country.

Education begins at home from birth, not some secondary or private school

Give them a decent up bringing, sit and read and interact with them, then you have the perfect schooling.

Too many tools blame everything else in society rather than look on their own doorsteps, when kids are not doing well, if your children can mix in the correct enviroment they will find friends of equal ability regardless of schooling council or private.

UTS

This
If you let her down no matter what school you send her to she is doomed.

Throwing this question out to the SZ family....

My daughter who is now 4/5 months needs a placement at a primary school as you need to look at options early to get a place, we live in Rayleigh (as hockleys favourite son I am only on loan to Rayleigh and some day to return) and we are looking at various schools and that's all well and good but I was privately educated at St Michales in Leigh and I am a big believer in private education also I would like Church of England like I was as I think a church school teaches good wholesome ethics.

To send our little girl private would cost me about 3K per term which we can afford at a push as me and Mrs TrueBlue both work, and this is further helped as my dad would be quite happy for her to go private and pay for it himself, the problem I have is we plan to have another 2 kids but no way could I send them all private.

So my questions are what's your views on private education? And if you could only send 1 out of 3 is that fair? Or should you just send all to a state school?

Thanks peeps

I did my first year private and I think the the reason I didn't do anymore was because the cost involved for me and my brother was a bit too much. Plenty of people have done well for themselves at state school and the main reason my dad said he wanted to send me to private was down to the friends I would make and be connected with, those that would take over various family businesses etc. I think you can get just as good an eductaion in state school, just depends on the attitude of your kids, I was a little **** and was far too immature at 15/16 so my exam results were mediocre. I don't put that down to my school, it was me. Since maturing (a bit) I have done ok for myself and have decent qualifications gained as an adult. I'll send my kids to state school

Definitely no for me to private schools, especially at Primary level. Dont see the point.

Treat all your kids the same
Don't defer the basic education to the school, let them put the flesh on the bones. Basic maths, reading, writing should be in place before they go to school , social skills are something they should learn at home too.
Kids pick up far more from their home environment than many think.
Give the school a good foundation to work with and the children should prosper whether its state or private.
Personally I am not a fan of private education unless there is a specific educational need. However , that aside, for it to be of real benefit I feel it needs to be carried forward until they go to university.
Stepping into the state system at secondary education is a difficult move.

Couple of scenarios:

Send all kids to private school:
- mum works full time
- dad works crazy hrs in taxi
- kids rarely see dad in the week
- little time for help with homework
- rarely sit down for a meal as a family
- kids have a mixture of grandparents/after school clubs (more £££)
- parents knackered at weekend, hard to do things with kids, house a mess, no money for SUFC

Kids go to state schools:
- mum can afford to go part time
- dad can do sensible shifts and help with school run
- most nights both parents around for tea/homework/bedtime
- can afford to do family things at weekend
- state school means kids become potential SUFC superstars, rather than play rugby

Home environment is the biggest contributor to a child's education.

Couple of scenarios:

Send all kids to private school:
- mum works full time
- dad works crazy hrs in taxi
- kids rarely see dad in the week
- little time for help with homework
- rarely sit down for a meal as a family
- kids have a mixture of grandparents/after school clubs (more £££)
- parents knackered at weekend, hard to do things with kids, house a mess, no money for SUFC

Kids go to state schools:
- mum can afford to go part time
- dad can do sensible shifts and help with school run
- most nights both parents around for tea/homework/bedtime
- can afford to do family things at weekend
- state school means kids become potential SUFC superstars, rather than play rugby

Home environment is the biggest contributor to a child's education.

on the money!!

IMO it is more beneficial to my kids to have a family around that is happy and caring and able to afford family trips out and actually be parents rather than sending my kids private and then having to work every hour god gives me to pay for my children to be privately educated of which in our local area isn't that greater than state schooling plus both parents constantly tired and stressed and no fun family days!

Fish

Best way to give your child(ren) a good start in life in terms of education?

Spend loads of time with them. Read to them a lot.
Spend more time with them. Read to them more.
Spend even more time with them. Read to them even more.

Engage, engage, engage. Make books, maps, maths, drawing, science, etc. part of everyday life (because they are!). Do that and you're well on your way.

Best way to give your child(ren) a good start in life in terms of education?

Spend loads of time with them. Read to them a lot.
Spend more time with them. Read to them more.
Spend even more time with them. Read to them even more.

Engage, engage, engage. Make books, maps, maths, drawing, science, etc. part of everyday life (because they are!). Do that and you're well on your way.

Absolutely, talk to them about what they can see around them, gardens or houses with interesting "adornments" on the walls or in the gardens (we always used to stop at a garden full of gnomes and animals to look), signs of new life in the Spring as things start to grow in the garden, smells in the air on a crisp Autumn day, with bonfires, different apples when you're shopping. Most of all ENJOY spending time with them.

Besides, you've got the issue of child care to sort out if your missus is going back to work. That'll set you back a fair whack per month as it is.

Back