• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What plans are we expecting to see at midday, we have already seen them?

I don't know, because we haven't seen them! But the website said that there would be something available from midday. However, it seems the page has been amended and this has been deleted.

Im in the laymen camp but there is no way this doesnt need to go back to square one planning wise.

You are correct that we need a new planning application for this as it is materially different to what has already been approved. However I don't agree that we are "back to square one" as the approval following the previous enquiry and more recent changes to Government planning policy means that the new application should have a much shorter and less bumpy journey!

Whats a balancing pond ? (Excuse me if I'm being dumb) is it simply an environmental thing ?

It's to contain water and release it more slowly into the drainage system when you're increasing the amount of hard surfaces in an area. It's a flood risk thing - most larger developments have them now.

Just had a quick look on Google maps streetview and there is an existing vehicular access to Sutton Road where the tree lined walkway is - I wonder if they will continue to use this for access to Jones Memorial Ground parking on non-matchdays or will use this as a bargaining chip in the highways negotiations (turn this into pedestrian access only will make Sutton Road safer)?

View attachment 3708

I would imagine (and this is only a guess) that the park and ride scheme buses will drop people off along Sutton Road, and people would make use of the walkway.

One question I do have is where is the hotel? We have hotel parking, but no hotel! I assume the hotel is incorporated into the main stand, but it doesn't say that. I guess we'll have to wait until midday...

So we have hotel parking but no hotel
We have flats, but no parking for the flats

So the very first document we issue on the new plans has simple omissions in it --- am I surprised?

Re the discussions on the Sutton road access
I assume walkway as this gets jammed on a Sunday with just a few cars turning in for matches. Its also not wide enough for two way traffic (and where is the traffic going on match days?) but that obviously that can be overcome. However like others I 'assume' it is a walk way . This makes sense however it could lead to people dropping off right in front of the fire station. Others have mentioned a park and ride which makes sense , although from memory and looking at the map there isn't obviously room for this . Unless of course the walk way allows park and ride vehicles to enter ?

sorry- all very very minor stuff in the scheme of things. Yes its all very annoying that we don't have a stadium, but surely this shows that we are at least now heading in the right direction after years in the wilderness

Whats a balancing pond ? (Excuse me if I'm being dumb) is it simply an environmental thing ?

A Balancing Pond is an element of an urban drainage system used to control flooding by temporarily storing flood waters. I prefer the floating duck explanation though.

One big thing not being mentioned is who will benefit from the sale of the site of Roots Hall and what is now likely to be built there now it appears Sainsbury are out of the picture.

If it's going to be the Club and it could be released for residential development then that could well be the driving factor for the completion of the stadium. IIRC correctly the Roots Hall site is a tad over 11 acres, you can get a lot of residential on 11 acres.....

I suspect it will end up deserted and derelict like most of the office building on Vic Ave.

To summarize:

The laymen & women (Victors & Victorias particularly) suggest its back to square one
Those who know what they are talking about through their professional capacity suggest actually changes probably not so big, likely won't be called in so not back to square one.

Who to believe? One is bad news, one is better news? Do we like bad news more? Yep we are back to square one..

It's square one in the sense that Southend United are planning to build a stadium and here are those plans...

I don't think that's bad news and something firm like this is much better than anything we've heard for about 6/7 years.

Just for comparison, here are the previous plans. The soccerdome site, academy and some extra retail parking are outside the previous application area. Also looks like the stadium parking might have been rejigged a bit (leaving that bit of land to the north of the crematorium, presumably for some other Martin Dawn development at a later date)

southend_united_stadium05.jpg

Actually looks like quite a decent masterplan to me. I see no reason why this would generate too many dissenting voices in the Council Chambers., but then I develop stadiums...I'm not a planner.

Parking provision looks massively undercooked for that footprint of stadium imho. I think the Club should be proactively working with the Council to look at the feasibility of delivering park and ride sites on the periphery of town - God only knows the existing road infrastructure is exceeding capacity, and nothing more can be done to relieve the issues on both the 127 and A13.

By the by, the stadium parking looks like grasscrete, so it can actually be used as flexible space quite easily (and it is cheaper than surfacing what is quite a large area).

On the development partner, the involvement of British Land is a hugely positive step - don't suffer fools gladly, and will want to capitalise on any investment opportunity sooner rather than later, as the commercial and residential market is very buoyant in Southend at present, and looks like it will continue on an upward curve for some time to come, which will obviously have a major impact on build cost.

Actually looks like quite a decent masterplan to me. I see no reason why this would generate too many dissenting voices in the Council Chambers., but then I develop stadiums...I'm not a planner.

Parking provision looks massively undercooked for that footprint of stadium imho. I think the Club should be proactively working with the Council to look at the feasibility of delivering park and ride sites on the periphery of town - God only knows the existing road infrastructure is exceeding capacity, and nothing more can be done to relieve the issues on both the 127 and A13.

By the by, the stadium parking looks like grasscrete, so it can actually be used as flexible space quite easily (and it is cheaper than surfacing what is quite a large area).

On the development partner, the involvement of British Land is a hugely positive step - don't suffer fools gladly, and will want to capitalise on any investment opportunity sooner rather than later, as the commercial and residential market is very buoyant in Southend at present, and looks like it will continue on an upward curve for some time to come, which will obviously have a major impact on build cost.

Cheers. Your comments on these threads are really useful/interesting.

You are correct that we need a new planning application for this as it is materially different to what has already been approved. However I don't agree that we are "back to square one" as the approval following the previous enquiry and more recent changes to Government planning policy means that the new application should have a much shorter and less bumpy journey!

Your right. The project is much further down the line than square one. The reason we had an enquiry was to agree/not agree in principle for a stadium to be built on that land and the effects on the town. Many projects that have been passed have the initial plans altered or resubmitted.

Its quite clear that Sainsbury's have dragged their feet in order to see where the supermarket sector is heading. Don't see why Ron has been blamed for their actions. In fact its good to see him come up with such a high profile firm to fund his plan B.

Last edited:
One (mildly) interesting thing is that the the main stand will once again be on the east side of the ground meaning that the bench will be facing the direction of the setting sun. Remember your sunglasses!

the other one was like that but had a lid on it (and a tail)

The fans in general need to get a reality check - the aesthetics of the stadium are largely irrelevant at this point.
All we need is a design which is compliant with the applicable legislation and best practice, and provides the necessary space to house the pivotal revenue streams the Club currently doesn't benefit from at Roots Hall - that being flexible mixed-use floorspace for those activities identified as part of a sequential test / needs analysis - conference, banqueting, PCT, wellness centres etc. in the bowels of the development.
The fans will make the stadium what is ultimately can be - Stadium MK is a shining example of how a fantastic product can generate an abysmal football experience.

Back