• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just a few thoughts.

As a season card holder I am keen for the club to move to a bigger and better stadium, but can't help feel these plans are asking too much from Southend Council in terms of planning permission. Most clubs move stadiums by building the new stadium out of the proceeds of their old site in town to a greenfield site out of town. The planning permission for a new stadium is usually granted on the basis that it is supporting the community which can offset the loss of greenbelt. Most stadiums are lucky to get any further planning for shops, pubs, hotel etc. Here the plans include a huge cinema and retail complex, restaurants, hotel, soccer domes, accommodation and three huge tower blocks for retail units.

Of course British Land are interested in getting involved if this size of development is allowed as the financial gain for the planning permission is huge and runs into the tens of millions. Despite the massive profit from these plans and the redevelopment of RH there is still talk of only the first phase of the stadium being built.

I think Southend Council need to get tough and tell Ron that all the stadium has to be built all at once and that the ownership of the stadium should be given to Southend Council with the club being allowed to pay a peppercorn rent on a very long lease. Then they can be sure that SUFC will survive and prosper in a good sized modern stadium. With regard to the planning on FF and RH they just need to hammer out enough profit for Ron to make this happen.

This this this and this again,well said !

Most of us do not care if Ron makes squillions from the project,we only care if the stadium has 4 sides with the team having the luxury of being funded from all of those lovely extra revenue streams.

I'll be going over with my lad. I'm very pessimistic about the whole thing, but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I can't come back on here and discuss whether it's a goer or not unless I see it for myself and ask the relevant questions.

I doubt it. Maybe the club shop and the odd burger bar. That is question No.1, I suppose

Only 2 question need to be asked.

The main stand and revenue streams ,both go hand in hand,without the MS then it's pointless.

Ticket sales alone ain't much good.

Everything and anything in Southend the Council have ever been involved with has ended up as a total mess. Are you serious in saying you would want them in charge of a new stadium? Jeez, we'd end up being worse off than Col Utd and their legoland facility!!

I wouldn't go that far. As someone who used to live in the area and moved away, I think Southend is so much better now than it used to be. The seafront is no longer somewhere you take your life in your hands either due to people speeding down the road or through gangs of scumbags. It looks so much better down there now, plenty of investment and a lot of eyesores replaced with viable business. It has resulted in other premises upping their game - I notice a lot of the pubs are much nicer environments to go than when I was coming up.

And the Forum is a top class public facility.

Just a few thoughts.

As a season card holder I am keen for the club to move to a bigger and better stadium, but can't help feel these plans are asking too much from Southend Council in terms of planning permission. Most clubs move stadiums by building the new stadium out of the proceeds of their old site in town to a greenfield site out of town. The planning permission for a new stadium is usually granted on the basis that it is supporting the community which can offset the loss of greenbelt. Most stadiums are lucky to get any further planning for shops, pubs, hotel etc. Here the plans include a huge cinema and retail complex, restaurants, hotel, soccer domes, accommodation and three huge tower blocks for retail units.

Of course British Land are interested in getting involved if this size of development is allowed as the financial gain for the planning permission is huge and runs into the tens of millions. Despite the massive profit from these plans and the redevelopment of RH there is still talk of only the first phase of the stadium being built.

I think Southend Council need to get tough and tell Ron that all the stadium has to be built all at once and that the ownership of the stadium should be given to Southend Council with the club being allowed to pay a peppercorn rent on a very long lease. Then they can be sure that SUFC will survive and prosper in a good sized modern stadium. With regard to the planning on FF and RH they just need to hammer out enough profit for Ron to make this happen.

That would only work if the council had given us the land and paid for the construction of the stadium. Lets say you bought a nice plot of land and submitted plans to build a new four bedroom house. If the council came back and said yes fine go ahead but when is finished you can give us the house and land and pay us a peppercorn rent.....I would imagine your answer would be the same as mine

That would only work if the council had given us the land and paid for the construction of the stadium. Lets say you bought a nice plot of land and submitted plans to build a new four bedroom house. If the council came back and said yes fine go ahead but when is finished you can give us the house and land and pay us a peppercorn rent.....I would imagine your answer would be the same as mine

..but what if you bought a piece of land and wanted to build a new four bedroom house on it, and also wanted to build on the land at your current address, but the only way to make it happen is if you relocated the house from your current address next door to the new site ? Would you let the council have the relocated house if that was a condition of approval ?

Steve Kavanagh already said on Monday the ground will have 4 stands .

All this talk of giving the ground to the council is absurd. Why would anyone in their right mind just give it away, and if they were to give it to anyone they would surely give it to the Football Club.

If the Council pay for it to be built they can have it.

Do people think the Council owning the ground would be of benefit to us? They would be the ones getting the revenue then.

All this talk of giving the ground to the council is absurd. Why would anyone in their right mind just give it away, and if they were to give it to anyone they would surely give it to the Football Club.

Do people think the Council owning the ground would be of benefit to us? They would be the ones getting the revenue then.

Many moons ago Ron did say something along the lines of when it is all complete he may be minded to give the new stadium back to the town in some form. It was such a long time ago I can't remember exactly what he said.

What revenue ? Nobody has said we are getting any of the revenue, anyway. :blush:

All this talk of giving the ground to the council is absurd. Why would anyone in their right mind just give it away

Because by giving it away the whole product completes. IIRC Swansea's Liberty Stadium is owned by the council and it's also home to Ospreys Rugby Club as well as a venue for concerts, banquetting etc.

Because by giving it away the whole product completes. IIRC Swansea's Liberty Stadium is owned by the council and it's also home to Ospreys Rugby Club as well as a venue for concerts, banquetting etc.

Swanseas build was paid for by the council, you are suggesting we pay £30 million pounds (or whatever it costs) to build it and then give it away.

I dont see how that helps complete the project, the whole problem with it being completed was getting the funds in the first place.

If the council were to buy it or pay for it that would make more sense, but they arent.

Swanseas build was paid for by the council, you are suggesting we pay £30 million pounds (or whatever it costs) to build it and then give it away.

I dont see how that helps complete the project, the whole problem with it being completed was getting the funds in the first place.

If the council were to buy it or pay for it that would make more sense, but they arent.

Coventry City Council own the Ricoh Arena. Coventry City ended up moving out for a bit because the couldn't afford the rent. They also had a game re-arranged this season because the stadium was busy.

That is a myth surrounding these previously common arrangements...

Col U and Doncaster's grounds to name but two were entirely funded by the respective Councils, who then worked in partnership with the Football Clubs, Community Trusts and other stakeholders to set up and manage a third party Stadium Management Company. Their job is to operate the stadium as a commercial entity, with a pre-agreed profit sharing agreement between all stakeholders - it is a very fair, sustainable and efficient business model.

The difference between us and the likes of Col U and Donny is three fold really - firstly, major leisure development was seen as central to their redevelopment masterplans, and ticked numerous boxes in terms of planning need (for instance, the development of the Weston Homes Community Stadium has essentially proved the enabling development to the massive Northern Gateway Leisure project, and the new junction off of the A12 - two birds with one stone for the planners). Secondly, they were both procured at a time when Local Authorities were still spending money on Leisure projects - now, all Councils are interested in is palming off land to the highest bidder to subsidise their reduced annual spending budgets. Thirdly, FF has always been an (albeit functional) vanity project, compared to those mentioned above. It doesn't need to look or feel the way it does on paper, but it is, and that alone serves to make it hugely difficult to finance.

The point I was replying to was that we wouldnt pay to build the stadium then give it away.

The other council owned stadiums are all paid for by the councils which isnt the case for us.

Id be happy enough for that to happen though, doesnt matter who owns it if its not the club itself.

Coventry City Council own the Ricoh Arena. Coventry City ended up moving out for a bit because the couldn't afford the rent. They also had a game re-arranged this season because the stadium was busy.

The Ricoh is owned by Rugby club now but wasnt it a private company that owned it.
Thats where their problems began.

The point I was replying to was that we wouldnt pay to build the stadium then give it away

I know what you're saying :thumbsup:realistically, nobody is gonna want to hand it over. I just felt the comments regarding getting the council involved, had some merits to it, to make it more of a community stadium (oops sorry, did I swear then)

Last edited:
Back