• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great result. Mooney has scored once from open play all season, that is truly awful. Need to get a loan striker in ASAP. Anyone still think we're better without Corr? He 150% would have scored more than Pigott and mooney so far this season.

I think your analysis of Mooney is unfair. He's clearly a good player and shows it at times however he's never going to be influential playing as a loan striker playing with his back to goal. We will struggle to have a 20+ goal striker under Browns tactics

Why didn't Brown speak to the Press, post match yesterday?

Adkins was late speaking to the press - Brown had stepped in a very large puddle and had one very wet foot and was getting cold waiting around and went to change his socks just as the press then said they were ready - hence Coughlan's appearance.

I don't think it has anything to do with pacing over 90 minutes - Adkins worked out how to stop him ( Payne) playing and "we" weren't clever enough to change our play to cancel out their cancelling out ............. if that makes sense!

That's absolutely spot on.

Thanks. I can't see why others can't see that! :unsure:

To be fair I think it's probably a mixture of things. Payne tired, Sheffield United improved, Sheffield United looked to actively nullify Payne. However, I'm not sure that I actually saw them look to nullify Payne, I didn't notice anyone sticking on him, United just worked harder which stopped the ball finding its way to him. He was chasing lost causes and tired.

The main change I saw from United was playing with more width on their left/our right, to stretch the whole game and isolate White. Not one of their goal kicks or long passes went towards Coker.

Can I digress from the general conversation on here which is about our players (and some about allocating blame) and ask about Sheffield United.

Clearly they (Sheffield) did something different in the second half ............. but what was it? Has anybody worked that out?

I don't think Brown did (although he was "doing his nut" on the side at times) ......... and clearly Southend did not manage to change tactics either.

I ask because we have had a few games where the second half has not gone our way and in this division it seems like the opposition have the nous to improve their game ........ whilst we don't seem to be able to do so quite so easily.

Similarly to the Brizzie JPT game, we didn't have the players on the bench/fit to make the changes needed to stifle their changes. Tims was the right sub, but to have changed Jack/Mooney for Hunt would have been better too.
Also I rate Bolger at being better at set pieces than Thommo BUT not at ball retention and foot to ball play.

I'm not sure many people are whinging - some are allocating blame and that seems unnecessary but I think most people are talking about the various parts of the game because it was a very interesting game - I suspect even a neutral watching would have enjoyed themselves. Far, far, far better than the game at Scunthorpe. :thumbsup:

If it sounds like whingeing, smells like whingeing, looks like whingeing then it probably is whingeing IMHO. COYBB

I don't think it was as bad as some people are saying. He was trying to smother the ball not stop a shot. The way we have been treating a loose ball in the penalty area lately put Dan under more pressure to grab hold of it rather than just block a shot. Credit to the Sheffield lad, he was in the right area and reacted in a split second. Doubt any of our forwards would have scored that one.

Both corners were conceded because we failed to deal with along hoof. Several times we committed the cardinal CB's sin.....letting along punt bounce. It often goes unnoticed how well Bolger deals with that sort of ball and he was missed yesterday. Why did Coker allow the ball to go for their first corner, when he could have at least made it a throw. In fact at the moment we would be better giving a team a penalty rather than a corner. At least Dan might save a penalty.

I noticed from the far end the ref actually waited a second before giving the first goal it was that close to a foul. Some keepers would have immediately screamed in pain and grabbed their hand whilst four or five team mates rushed the ref demanding a free kick. Our honest body language helped the ref make his decision. This is no way a criticism I like our honesty. Just an observation on the modern game
Whoops, forgot Bentley never makes mistakes:blush:

Also I rate Bolger at being better at set pieces than Thommo BUT not at ball retention and foot to ball play.
I have to disagree with you there, there's times when Bolger looks quite John Terry-esque bringing the ball out of defence, and that can only have come about because he is confident enough to do so.

After being 2-0 the lads may be disappointed to end up with a draw. If they watch the video they will be rather glad they got that much. I was only able to watch the live streaming and hats off to the lad that tipped us about that. What a game.

At times, particularly in the first 30 mins, we played some very good, neat, competitive football and showed we are more than capable of performing at this level. The game was a good advert for lg 1 football.

I'm afraid Mr. Clean Sheets needs to go back to the drawing board. At times the defence looked calm and in control and then they would appear to have a mix of panic/comedy of errors/woefulness.

Watching the Blues is as frustrating as being a casanova that has had his todger lopped off!

We were not defensive and as the away team I think we gave a good account of forward play. The second half was less adventurous but that was mainly due to the blades taking a firmer hold on the match.

The ref, for me, allowed the game to flow and was unfussy. He made it a better spectacle.

The players all worked hard and should not be too disappointed or ungrateful for getting a point.

I do not understand why so many balls forward are played to feet when the man has his back to goal? Also, something very common, the times Coker receives the ball, checks and then plays backwards? Weston may as well have stayed at home.

A good point and definite evidence that we do have the ability in this division and a few tweaks could see us surge.

A footnote; Thank god JCR seems a yard slower than when we had him!
Echo this. I was there with the other 1059. Seemed like many more and lots of noise:clap:The big pitch suited us in the first half as we played some really fast flowing attack, and could have been our undoing in the second as they played a more expansive game where we needed Coker to defend out wider which he did'nt and White needed a lot of help from Worrall to try and contain JCR. I would have taken a point anyway. Just disappointed at giving up 2-0 to get it. UTS

Some harsh criticism going atkinsons way! I watched the second half and thought he had a decent game. The run at the end shows what he can do, unfortunately we don't see that too often and it was a great defensive tackle to stop him.

Would have taken a point at the start but to be 2-0 up and throw it away again is pretty unacceptable. 3 points from 3 games when we've been well in position to have taken all 9!!

You could argue that Barratt could have stayed closer for the second goal where their bloke was left pretty clear yet again in our 6 yard box. However I felt though that we were constantly being dragged across towards Campbell- Ryce who played well and was given far too much space. Not one of the skippers better games as he sat off him quite a bit. Also noticed Worrell ball watching quite a bit in defence .
Was also surprised just how often Coker lost the ball today, first touch going astray and as Onceknownasrab said turned backwards more time than I have ever noticed before, frequently allowing them to keep us on the back foot and laying off some poor passes which is unusual for Coker. Wondered if Whites injury just had him off his game, he was outstanding against Gills and a tricky winger, but today looked like a huge pitch and they used the width exceptionally well especially in the second half
John White does this all the time. Just watch how many crosses are allowed to be made from his position.

Bloody hell Ryan Leonard frustrates me. He is big, strong, can defend, beat a man, pass, shoot. He has all the attributes to play at a higher level yet he often fails to deliver. But yesterday I thought he was excellent. More of that please Lenny.

Someone needs to give him a bit of freedom to get the ball and steam forward because he can ghost past players in this league, set things up, win set pieces, score goals etc.

To be there yesturday was fantastic what a traveling support great atmosphere , so proud to take my little boy to away games shame we didn't win but I think this shows we are going the right way, utb!!

Bloody hell Ryan Leonard frustrates me. He is big, strong, can defend, beat a man, pass, shoot. He has all the attributes to play at a higher level yet he often fails to deliver. But yesterday I thought he was excellent. More of that please Lenny.

Someone needs to give him a bit of freedom to get the ball and steam forward because he can ghost past players in this league, set things up, win set pieces, score goals etc.

Yes, nice to see Leonard going onto the attack ......... but for the last few games we have "cobbled" together a midfield based on who is available. Perhaps Lenny will get more license to attack when players like Deegan, Tims and Wordsworth are fully back and more likely to cover his central midfield position if we lose possession at the other end of the pitch. :thumbsup:

Certainly Payne's ability to jink and move allows space to develop for others to exploit.

Back