• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wow there is two of us! Whereabouts I'm S10?

Baxter is a former Everton trainee / player I think so his overal quality does show through.

Ooh the posh bit! S6 for me. At one point there were 3 or 4 of us Sheffield Shrimpers. Give me a shout if you're heading to any away games, or looking for a local pub to watch a TV game.

I was chatting to a couple of Blades fans at the station after the game and they were most complimentary of the Blues. They complained that teams seem to raise their game against them and they think they will struggle to get out of this League. I cheered them up by reminding them how long it took Leeds to get up from League 1!

Thought we scored two great goals and gave away two sloppy ones.

Still happy with a point -although after being 2-0 up, thought it was gonna be our day for all three.:sad:
Me too - it was a fantastic few minutes but I said to my mate before their corner for the first that it was crucial we keep this out and then of course we unravelled. The surprising thing after though is how we kept a share of the points. But our goal did lead a charmed life in the second half with three strikes on the posts. Impressed with Payne's role in the side and by a fine performance from Lenny. Relieved when Tims came on to shore up the midfield though. Would prefer to see Bolger back in the middle too as Thompson looked a bit ponderous. And how long is Hunt expected to be out for? Despite Mooney's great efforts up top, he was never going to get a look in there by himself.

White is a solid,dependable defender but at this level struggles badly against a decent winger and gets targeted.i saw a recent Col. U. game and I dread to think what fast,tricky Harriot will do down the left on Boxing Day.Time to recall O'Neil.

I don't think he does. In fact I would say he has been our most consistent player so far this season. On Saturday White moved more central as a deliberate tactic so that they would use JCR. I no some of you won't believe me but I'll explain.

They were far more dangerous down the middle, think of the save Bentley made and the chances that hit the post. Sharp an co were receiving plenty of good balls into feet and Thompson and Barrett were under the cosh. By offering an obvious ball out to JCR in plenty of space we were actually better off. Firstly by White not being so tight the option off slipping JCR inside the full back had gone. Secondly JCR always wanted to do a bit so amore dangerous early ball never happened. ( think Coker's pass to Payne for his goal). Thirdly JCR always wanted to come in on his right foot so JW would deliberately show him outside on his ineffective left. Worrall could have done better a couple of times when he doubled up but as we seen, even he struggled. If a team has a good pacey winger that doesn't automatically mean JW is poor. One thing John White is very good at is knowing where his opponent is when the ball comes in from our left. He knows when to concede a corner and was fully aware that he could let a couple of dangerous crosses go because JCR was not going to get on the end of them. Good defending without touching the ball. Strange how some could give him a 5 on their ratings but I suppose a few steep overs from a wide man will always impress a few.

Yes off course there was still chances created from out left. But they came to nothing and I would rather see the ball out there than at one their forwards feet on the edge off our box. Who would be more dangerous for us Noel Hunt in the middle or Weston out wide. A similar tactic was used by Chelsea very effectively at Barcelona a few years back, when they allowed the right winger all the time in the world to cross from a very deep position. Which off course was better for Chelsea's CB's than players running down the middle at them.

I don't think he does. In fact I would say he has been our most consistent player so far this season. On Saturday White moved more central as a deliberate tactic so that they would use JCR. I no some of you won't believe me but I'll explain.

They were far more dangerous down the middle, think of the save Bentley made and the chances that hit the post. Sharp an co were receiving plenty of good balls into feet and Thompson and Barrett were under the cosh. By offering an obvious ball out to JCR in plenty of space we were actually better off. Firstly by White not being so tight the option off slipping JCR inside the full back had gone. Secondly JCR always wanted to do a bit so amore dangerous early ball never happened. ( think Coker's pass to Payne for his goal). Thirdly JCR always wanted to come in on his right foot so JW would deliberately show him outside on his ineffective left. Worrall could have done better a couple of times when he doubled up but as we seen, even he struggled. If a team has a good pacey winger that doesn't automatically mean JW is poor. One thing John White is very good at is knowing where his opponent is when the ball comes in from our left. He knows when to concede a corner and was fully aware that he could let a couple of dangerous crosses go because JCR was not going to get on the end of them. Good defending without touching the ball. Strange how some could give him a 5 on their ratings but I suppose a few steep overs from a wide man will always impress a few.

Yes off course there was still chances created from out left. But they came to nothing and I would rather see the ball out there than at one their forwards feet on the edge off our box. Who would be more dangerous for us Noel Hunt in the middle or Weston out wide. A similar tactic was used by Chelsea very effectively at Barcelona a few years back, when they allowed the right winger all the time in the world to cross from a very deep position. Which off course was better for Chelsea's CB's than players running down the middle at them.
I do think JCR was more threatening down the left than you're making out to be honest. He was always an outlet and drew two fouls in quick succession by beating his man which led to free kicks in dangerous areas (White fouled him on one and then Leonard I think).

Think the second one was Worrall, as it lead to the flicked header that hit the far post.

I do think JCR was more threatening down the left than you're making out to be honest. He was always an outlet and drew two fouls in quick succession by beating his man which led to free kicks in dangerous areas (White fouled him on one and then Leonard I think).

I'm not saying he wasn't a threat. From our point of view cover in the middle was more important. Some will say that O'Neill would have done much better but if that's the case he wouldn't be playing for us.

Not sure if it's been covered in the previous 8 pages, but what was Lenny's goal celebration all about?

Whatever the outcome of everyones personal post mortem, there were some very encouraging signs. Poor Mooney is out of position and is not the lone striker we need. His place was where Payne was but JP held his own in that berth. The player in advance of Payne needs to have a tireless engine and some genuine pace. There were some opportunities up front for us but we were too slow to get to the ball.

Naturally, like most of you, I would like a pacey striker up front with a few goals in his locker. Dreams and reality are seldom bedfellows. I am not a Weston fan but I believe he would have been useful instead of Mooney on this occasion. His pace would have got him to more balls, their defence would be hesitant and it may have led to a) creating the time for other players to support him or b) He might have found himself in one or two positions that even he would struggle to miss from.

Thats not a slight on Mooney, who I rate, but I feel he is best suited to games where we have two up top.

We don't have masses of pace in the side but, when they are in full flight, they move the ball around quickly and that seems to serve us well. Its those times we want the extra touch or move the ball backwards that stifle our enterprise.

All in all I think there is something quite good about the side. They look able and above all gelled. I feel that with maybe as few as one or two additions then we have a very good chance of at least making the play-off's.

Whatever the outcome of everyones personal post mortem, there were some very encouraging signs. Poor Mooney is out of position and is not the lone striker we need. His place was where Payne was but JP held his own in that berth. The player in advance of Payne needs to have a tireless engine and some genuine pace. There were some opportunities up front for us but we were too slow to get to the ball.

Naturally, like most of you, I would like a pacey striker up front with a few goals in his locker. Dreams and reality are seldom bedfellows. I am not a Weston fan but I believe he would have been useful instead of Mooney on this occasion. His pace would have got him to more balls, their defence would be hesitant and it may have led to a) creating the time for other players to support him or b) He might have found himself in one or two positions that even he would struggle to miss from.

Thats not a slight on Mooney, who I rate, but I feel he is best suited to games where we have two up top.

We don't have masses of pace in the side but, when they are in full flight, they move the ball around quickly and that seems to serve us well. Its those times we want the extra touch or move the ball backwards that stifle our enterprise.

All in all I think there is something quite good about the side. They look able and above all gelled. I feel that with maybe as few as one or two additions then we have a very good chance of at least making the play-off's.

I agree with almost all of that ........... except (wait for it, wait for it) ........... the last paragraph where I would be tempted to substitute the words "one or two additions" with a phrase about getting players back from injury (and then staying fit). :thumbsup:

I'm not saying he wasn't a threat. From our point of view cover in the middle was more important. Some will say that O'Neill would have done much better but if that's the case he wouldn't be playing for us.

I thought White did incredibly well against JCR, almost of their attacks were down that side, clearly that was a plan. He stood up well to it especially second half. I agree White lacks pace, but his experience and positioning helped him out in the end.

I agree with almost all of that ........... except (wait for it, wait for it) ........... the last paragraph where I would be tempted to substitute the words "one or two additions" with a phrase about getting players back from injury (and then staying fit). :thumbsup:

Unfortunately our injured players possess no more pace than the ones currently selected. An attribute our style is crying out for. Whether by flaw or design, we tend to spend periods of each game, player counterattack. For me, to play counterattack, you need clinical finishing which is a rarity and pace.

Back