• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was a top day out. We were always going to take a good crowd to a big team, good transport connections (near M1, near station), new stadium for many of us.

Locals couldn't have been nicer and more welcoming, Blues fans on form, stewards excellent, bit of rain, great game - basically football exactly as it should be

Just got back.

Certainly was a game of two halves. We played some cracking stuff in the first, and then Sheff U in the second. We could have lost it in the end so happy with the point.

The atmosphere pre kickoff in the concourse was one of the best I've ever seen.

Great game to attend. Atmosphere and entertainment for the 1st half, some nail biting stuff in the second. Bentley has now cost us 4 points from winning positions which might end up being a blessing in disguise... if he signs a new contract.

Surprised at some of the criticism Atkinson is getting. I'm not his biggest fan and I don't think he offers much in an attacking sense but I thought he had a very good game yesterday, he broke up play and won the ball countless times and kept things tidy in the middle. And it was a great counter-attacking run that nearly set up a winner in second half. My ratings:

Bentley 6 - Made a misjudgement for the first goal but redeemed himself with an excellent save in the second half

White 5 - Struggled against Campbell-Ryce at times but did ok overall.

Thompson 6 - Surprised he started given how long he's been out. He did some good things, some not so good. I would probably recall Bolger for Saturday

Barrett 7 - Kept Adams pretty quiet

Coker 7 - His usual self. Involved in a lot of our attacking play in the first half

Hurst 6 - Quiet but didn't do anything wrong

Leonard 8 - MoTM great goal and was a driving force in midfield throughout

Atkinson 7 - As above

Worrall 7 - Ran his heart out and played well in the first half but should have done better with his chance in the second

Payne 7 - Took his goal very well but faded in the second half

Mooney 6 - He is not a lone striker but 4-5-1 was the right tactic for yesterday and someone had to play there

None of the subs made any impact

Away support was excellent, sounded great on the TV highlights and completely outsung 19,000 home fans who barely made a noise. Overall a good away day and a good point at one of the strongest teams in the league, particularly considering some of the players we have out and some of the names they have in their squad.

Twitter reaction to Blues' draw at Sheffield United

SOUTHEND United's fans took to Twitter to express their views following Saturday's 2-2 draw at Sheffield United.

More...

Perhaps I'm wide of the mark but I put their second goal down to a mistake before that cross came in. As I saw it (difficult with age and watching streaming) I gave the blame (perhaps incorrectly) to White, who I thought I saw, taking the ball forward, out of defence, on the right hand side, before being tackled and losing possession?

Yes, VERY wide of the mark! Just seen the extended highlights and I don't know where I got that second goal scenario from!:blush: One could claim that another corner wasn't effectively dealt with. Perhaps there was time for our defender to bring the ball under control, rather than to head it into open space, where it was picked up by a Sheffield player. Barrett left the player he was marking (the goal scorer) and missed the cross, which left their player with plenty of time and space to bury it.

Some harsh criticism going atkinsons way! I watched the second half and thought he had a decent game. The run at the end shows what he can do, unfortunately we don't see that too often and it was a great defensive tackle to stop him.

The run at the end would have shown what he can do if he had scored. He didn't. We all know he can run!

The run at the end would have shown what he can do if he had scored. He didn't. We all know he can run!

Oh come on, he had many defenders around him ready to block a shot which is what happened... he still setup Worrall but he couldn't finish either...

I thought Atkinson did well with that run. Triple-marked and still managed to try to get a shot off.

To be fair, from what I can recall, I think Leonard had a poor 2nd half. But him and Mooney are both joint 2nd top scorers for the club.

That being said, I think the initial team line up worked well on the day, especially the subs that Phil made in the 2nd half (it was a little less nervy or was it a little more lucky?) than the closing minutes in previous games.

Either which way, im still feelling better (well less robbed) about taking a point from Sheffield, then I did after the Gillingham & Rochdale games.

However, I fully expect us to return to our winning ways against Blackpool at home on Saturday.

Anyway, Onwards and upwards,... The Blue Army continue to march on !!

UTB
:happy:

I have only seen us twice this season away at Chesterfield and yesterday, believe you me I know which game I enjoyed more! As a former centre half myself I used dread games in the wet as you are paranoid about making a mistake on the slippey wet surface that leads to a goal.

One or two of my blades mates (I'm sheffield based) said they thought Jack Payne was MoM and the best player on display.

I really like Lenny as a player he has the ability and potential to go a lot further, he's generally pretty good and calm on the ball and can pick a shot when needed.

Our football in the first 35 minutes was neat pretty tidy and we were definitely on top, the sloopy first goal for them let them right back into it and seemed to affect us. Barrett got very tight on their forward a few times in the second half and we did defend (desperately) at times in the second half but we got cricual blocks and tackles in when it mattered, particularly when Sheff Utd got into the 18 yard box.

We could have won it late on but on the whole 2-2 did for me! I won't give ratings but for me our two best players were our scorers and for the Blades I was most impressed with Jose Baxter who did seemed pretty sharp and lively.

John White does this all the time. Just watch how many crosses are allowed to be made from his position.
White is a solid,dependable defender but at this level struggles badly against a decent winger and gets targeted.i saw a recent Col. U. game and I dread to think what fast,tricky Harriot will do down the left on Boxing Day.Time to recall O'Neil.

I have only seen us twice this season away at Chesterfield and yesterday, believe you me I know which game I enjoyed more! As a former centre half myself I used dread games in the wet as you are paranoid about making a mistake on the slippey wet surface that leads to a goal.

One or two of my blades mates (I'm sheffield based) said they thought Jack Payne was MoM and the best player on display.

I really like Lenny as a player he has the ability and potential to go a lot further, he's generally pretty good and calm on the ball and can pick a shot when needed.

Our football in the first 35 minutes was neat pretty tidy and we were definitely on top, the sloopy first goal for them let them right back into it and seemed to affect us. Barrett got very tight on their forward a few times in the second half and we did defend (desperately) at times in the second half but we got cricual blocks and tackles in when it mattered, particularly when Sheff Utd got into the 18 yard box.

We could have won it late on but on the whole 2-2 did for me! I won't give ratings but for me our two best players were our scorers and for the Blades I was most impressed with Jose Baxter who did seemed pretty sharp and lively.

Good to have another Sheffield-based Shrimper up here!

Baxter was quality, I agree.

Back