• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Their First goal. Oh dear Dan, thought it looked bad from our end, but how has he scored that?

The Blades' first goal is a real freakish one. I've watched it several times and still can't work out how he actually managed to score it.

Leonard's goal is clearly fantastic, but we know that he has that in his locker. Payne's finish is almost more impressive. A great run and move into the box and powerful shot into the bottom corner with precision. Let's hope we can get more goals from him like that. Also let's hope he works on his stamina!

Also let's hope he works on his stamina!

A few more full appearances or the odd 70 mins here and there will see to that. I still find it incredible that last season's 2nd top scorer (IIRC) and the player that all the players respect/back off from in training, only started his second league match yesterday....

Leonard's goal is clearly fantastic, but we know that he has that in his locker. Payne's finish is almost more impressive. A great run and move into the box and powerful shot into the bottom corner with precision. Let's hope we can get more goals from him like that. Also let's hope he works on his stamina!
Payne's goal was a cracker as he just hesitated on the shot which threw their defenders. If we could have held it 2-0 at halftime may have got the win but a fair result in the end.

I'm wondering whether a combination of Payne & Hunt, when fit, might be the best striking partnership option.

Payne's movement often goes un-rewarded by poor pass selection or he plays too deep.

He looked a handful ghosting in behind their defensive line, in-between the centre half and full back and took his goal superbly.

If you had the likes of Wordsworth and Mooney, who can play behind him in a diamond and McLaughlin out wide, you've got some good ball-players there.

Balance that out with the likes of Deegan and Leonard, who will do your play-breaking and leg-work and we could really start to develop the passing football we played in the first 35 minutes yesterday which had them at sixes and sevens.

Also, couldn't help but notice that our first goal came from a quality corner, right under the keeper's bar, which Hurst delivered.

A few minutes later, Coker took the next corner and it was wasted.

Something we really need to address as to who takes the set-pieces.

Last edited:
Jack IMO isn't fully match fit having only had 467 minutes this season.

Great goals from us but as others have said two bad goals conceded. Dan for their first seems to hesitate a fraction and can't get his hand on the ball which allows their player to connect with the ball which makes it trickle over the line.

Still that is a good point to get there against one of the fancied teams.

Jack IMO isn't fully match fit having only had 467 minutes this season.

Presumably this is 1st team minutes here? Payne has played in a number of the U21 games, as have Thompson, and one or two others at times. I think he is fully match fit but that his stamina is an issue over a full 90.

Agreed, I would have expected better from Dan. Is it me or is Dan going through a bad patch right now?

In some ways yes...Our defence has been put under quite a lot of pressure recently, often for quite lengthy periods too. He has been on form at the same time though, many times he has kept us in games recently! He pretty much won us the game on Wednesday night too.

But he is playing better than plenty of players that are match fit.

Only for 35-40 mins though which I guess was the point. He did fade badly and desperately needs more minutes on the pitch. U21's are never going to match the intensity of 'real' matches where something is actually at stake.

Back