• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Qualifications now there's subject you love to brag about. No I don't have a 'veterans degree' just plenty off stories and opinions from my 20+ family members who all lived through the war. My great uncle George died in the battle of Normandy. Two of my uncles were evacuated from Dunkirk. One of them would never speak about his experiences, he was machine gunned by a German plane whilst wading out to a boat. My granddad was part of the Italian campaign. My uncle John was one of the first people into Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.

As you can imagine none of them ever had much time for the Germans and I don't mean just Nazis. So no they wouldn't be offended by the bomber song. The drunken lads on Saturday did not ask to be, nor should they be, compared to war veterans. Others on here have decided to take the thread on that point scoring tangent.

By the way you were the one saying bombing German cities was a war crime a while back on another thread. Now I can say on behalf of all my family that they would be ashamed by your comments but not by the lads on Saturday.

But you can accuse people of playing a 'racist' card when no mention was made ?
Interesting logic.

I don't think it's racist feel to it at all on my first away trip for a long time. I enjoyed the atmosphere in the away end. Try being with me at Polish Army Stadium in Warsaw, you would find chants even worst :smile:

Born in Cambridge, but a naturalized Australian, so kind of half and half.

Danny Zucco? Yeah well he had the T'Bird what do you expect unless you are the Fonz you'd have no chance.

She could have stood on the North Bank with me to watch the mighty Blues. I would of even let her join me on one of my pitch invasions. I would have brought her a hot chocolate at half time in those thin plastic cups that burnt your hand. What more could a girl want?

She could have stood on the North Bank with me to watch the mighty Blues. I would of even let her join me on one of my pitch invasions. I would have brought her a hot chocolate at half time in those thin plastic cups that burnt your hand. What more could a girl want?

Obviously, "O.N.J." did not think you were "the one that I want" ...............

............. you should have offered her some opal fruits as well. :dim:

Qualifications now there's subject you love to brag about. No I don't have a 'veterans degree' just plenty off stories and opinions from my 20+ family members who all lived through the war. My great uncle George died in the battle of Normandy. Two of my uncles were evacuated from Dunkirk. One of them would never speak about his experiences, he was machine gunned by a German plane whilst wading out to a boat. My granddad was part of the Italian campaign. My uncle John was one of the first people into Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.

As you can imagine none of them ever had much time for the Germans and I don't mean just Nazis. So no they wouldn't be offended by the bomber song. The drunken lads on Saturday did not ask to be, nor should they be, compared to war veterans. Others on here have decided to take the thread on that point scoring tangent.

By the way you were the one saying bombing German cities was a war crime a while back on another thread. Now I can say on behalf of all my family that they would be ashamed by your comments but not by the lads on Saturday.

Sounds like your family is quite similar to mine in that respect.

My father and all of his brothers, except one, saw active service in WW2.

One thing I always respected about my father, (who as I've said before was a Sergeant in the Royal Engineers in a Bomb disposal unit), was that he never talked about the war except with a family friend who'd also served in the same regiment.

Can't say I ever heard my father or uncles express disdain for the Germans or the Japanese (one of them was captured in Burma and escaped) another was a paratrooper.

Can't say I've ever been offended by the bomber song either.Though I think the people who sing it are juvenile and misguided,to say the least.

She could have stood on the North Bank with me to watch the mighty Blues. I would of even let her join me on one of my pitch invasions.

There would have been people in the East Bank viewing the pitch invasion and turning to each other going "Is that Olivia Newton-John out there?"

Obviously, "O.N.J." did not think you were "the one that I want" ...............

............. you should have offered her some opal fruits as well. :dim:

She could have bunked in with me in the Shakespeare Drive alley, straight into the North Bank men's toilets. ''Sorry about the stench love, have some Parma Violets.''

She could have bunked in with me in the Shakespeare Drive alley, straight into the North Bank men's toilets. ''Sorry about the stench love, have some Parma Violets.''

I see her more as a "love hearts" type lass who would occasional have a thing with a sherbet fountain; maybe she could have got the fizzy stuff sucked up the liquarice straw thingy too.

That would have done it - Australian women go mad for Parma Violets. I remember offering one to Nicole Kidman - she was naked in my bed before we even got half way down the packet. The wife wasn't impressed. :stunned:

That would have done it - Australian women go mad for Parma Violets. I remember offering one to Nicole Kidman - she was naked in my bed before we even got half way down the packet. The wife wasn't impressed. :stunned:

Your missus sounds a bit clingy to me.
Some of them are.

Sounds like your family is quite similar to mine in that respect.

My father and all of his brothers, except one, saw active service in WW2.

One thing I always respected about my father, (who as I've said before was a Sergeant in the Royal Engineers in a Bomb disposal unit), was that he never talked about the war except with a family friend who'd also served in the same regiment.

Can't say I ever heard my father or uncles express disdain for the Germans or the Japanese (one of them was captured in Burma and escaped) another was a paratrooper.

Can't say I've ever been offended by the bomber song either.Though I think the people who sing it are juvenile and misguided,to say the least.

I'll start with the song on Saturday. There has to be a deliberate attempt to offend before you can claim to be offended. We were in Sheffield not Berlin, so who were they aiming it at. Do Stoke fans mean to offend women when they sing their anthem 'Delilah'

Although the women loved talking about the war, evacuation, conscription into the land army etc. The men in my family never spoke much about the war unless it was to me when we were on our own. If only I had recorded the story of Bergen-Belsen. To hear a first hand account was truly moving.

For those of you who accept the German excuse of 'it wasn't me it was the Nazis' and we should have not bombed cities as late as 1945. I know for a fact that in late April after the camp had been liberated and was in British control the prisoners were still being murdered by former guards. Some were kept on by the British, who were short of men and others had swapped into prison uniform.

Even at this stage of the war when the Luftwaffe were virtually none existent. Those innocent German pilots still found enough fuel and ammunition to attack Belsen which was obviously of no military threat. Killing some British medical staff and a few half starved prisoners out of shear spite and cruelty. So perhaps we should all be celebrating German planes being shot down.

Back