• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jaffa1

Manager
Randomly my eldest asked me this question the other night. I have heard plenty in my time but after a bit of thought I selected a quip from the mid 90's. I was in the West Stand that day, and please forgive me for not remembering the opposition, all the dialogue or even the 'target', but somebody really tore into one of our players. It was along the lines of ; " ****** you useless ****, why don't you just **** off back to (name of former club)". There was a slight pause before a wag further back nonchalantly replied "Thank you Vicar !!".

Standing behind two old guys in the queue. One said to the other 'I've watched these f***ers for nearly forty years now. I jacked the wife in after two because she was boring. How I keep coming here I don't know!'

One of of the best come from Akinfenwa when he was having you fat ******* turning around to Prosser and saying they may be talking to you because it can't be me.

..back in the day, corner to the opposition and striker Steve Phillips was plodding around on the centre circle with his head down, looking totally disinterested. Some gent standing behind me at the back of the West Stand shouted "oi Phillips, are you looking for your car keys ?"

In the South Upper in the Alan Little era, there was a bunch of lads always giving banter. One game, one of them started chanting 'Alan Little's a homosexual' but none of his mates joined in. Once he stopped, I quickly shouted 'It's funny that you're the only one that knows though'...His mates destroyed him

I was near the front of the East (near NE corner) some time back in the 90's I think. No idea who we were playing, but it was blowing a gale towards the South Stand. The linesman was trotting past us after a Goal Kick was taken, when another huge gust came up and blew a load of old carrier bags, paper cups, crisp packets and part of a cardboard box straight into him.

Almost immediately TBBM shouted out "that's rubbish Lino"

I think maybe you had to be there

Not at the Hall but .... I did my refereeing course many years ago and the tutor related this story.
He gave a free kick against a BIG centre-half who ran over to him and called him a "@&%* ing &@£@".
Producing a red card, the ref' said "We can't have two on the same pitch!"

Andy Smillie had just failed to get to an incredibly straight forward chance right in front of goal, and more embarrassingly, the North Bank. The ground went into that silent mode before we moved onto the goal kick, then some wag called out "What's the matter Andy, is she taking too much out of you?". Cue Smillie and North Bank laughing their heads off.

Probably not hugely funny to others now, but I wet myself at the time.

A game a few years back somehow Chris Barker was up against a full-back on the edge of the opposition box. I shouted 'skin him' which got a few laughs.

Female police officer patrolling in front of the North Bank circa 1988.

My Dad shouted out "Show us your beaver" at her to the mirth of many and the complete confusion of nine-year-old me.

My Dad shouted out "Show us your beaver" at her to the mirth of many and the complete confusion of nine-year-old me.

Lucky she didn't show him her truncheon!

You also didn't understand the one where the ref was accused of having a job at London Zoo, he was the Panda ******..

Not Roots Hall , but I was at an Arsenal match in the late 90’s and they had a striker called Christopher Wreh , who really wasn’t very good , despite scoring the winning goal in the FA Cup semi final.
He was however the cousin of George Weah , who was the then World Footballer of the Year.
After yet another mishap by poor Chris , someone loudly moaned “I can’t believe how awful he is , especially as his cousin is George Weah” ! , to which the reply from another voice in the crowd was “Well my cousin is a plumber but I couldn’t change a f@@@ing washer if I tried so what's your point" ?

I once shouted "shut up Wyclef" at a Swansea player that had dreads who was moaning at the ref and the whole ground laughed and agreed I was a right card.

Approx 4 seasons ago. One of the opposition fans was giveing it large, it went silent and a bloke in W shouted back 'why dont you sit down and xxx off', slight chuckle , our guy thought about it for a second then went ' actually stand up and xxxx off'

writing it down it doesn't sound funny, but the block errupted

1990 at home to Bury (I think), corner about to be taken at the north bank end. Bury defender standing on the back post.

Fan in the north Bank: 'Oi...number 4'

Bury number 4 looks towards the crowd

Fan in north bank: 'I'm shagging your missus..!' (cue laughter)

Bury number 4: Oh yeah.. Our whole team is doing yours..!!!
(Cue loads of laughter and the Southend fan literally squirming. He moved somewhere else soon after..!

Steve Bull being called a test tube baby was quite an original one. Shame he scored about five minutes later.

It was a local friendly under Tilly maybe, Witham or Maldon and we were in a red away kit. Anyway we were standing by the southend dugout and Tilly was screaming "red ball, red ball ref" to which my mate quiped "gives you wings don't it". Tilly gave a little smile of acknowledgement

Back