• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Seems to have gone largely unnoticed but Hursty got three assists at Oldham. I do feel that his quality of delivery could make a real difference for us over the coming months if we can keep him fit.

Seems to have gone largely unnoticed but Hursty got three assists at Oldham. I do feel that his quality of delivery could make a real difference for us over the coming months if we can keep him fit.

Good player need him in the team all day.

Good that he's found form again. He was dire for ages but we all know that the quality is there and having him back in the mix is like having a new signing.

McLaughlin, Deegan, Timlin and Hunt are going to have to work hard to get back into the first team.

I mentioned on the Sheffield United thread that it was his dipping inswinging corner that panicked their keeper to palm away to Lenny for our opening goal.

I'd rather see him take set-pieces than Ben, especially where a right-footer would bend the ball into the box to attack.

I'm glad that Hurst has finally managed to find some form. Credit to Brown who has stuck with him for a while now. He is clearly a very good plaeyr and hopefully he can begin to show what he is all about again as he is starting to do now. I think we have such a great squad at the moment there is no real 'squad' players every player is fighting for their place and i love it.

Or to put it another way
player is given run of matches- improves in each match. It's hardly unique to Hurst. The question/ gamble is how many points ( if any) do we loose before they find form

He just lacks the pace of McLaughlin. Can't deny Hurst has a great cross though. All things considered I'd rather have McLaughlin, just think he offers a bit more.

He just lacks the pace of McLaughlin. Can't deny Hurst has a great cross though. All things considered I'd rather have McLaughlin, just think he offers a bit more.

I'll give Hurst credit where its due he has improved with this little run of games but I do agree on the pace factor with SM and even Weston

He needs an overlapping fullback to get the best out him. The season where he got a load of assists was partly down to Coker not taking set pieces and partly because Clohessy was sprinting beyond him and giving him space to get the ball in.

Keep him on the left wing where he can work with Coker!

As someone said earlier, he's an intelligent player. He's probably not as quick as he was 2/3 years ago, but he can still beat most full backs at this level and put a quality ball in - his delivery is the best at the club and on a par with Worrall I feel. Everything we CREATED at Oldham he was involved in.

It amazes me that he attracts groans from the crowd in the same way it amazed me Mark Gower used to attract abuse, despite him setting up half our goals. (I'm not saying they are the same quality of player). What do you want at this level? I've been following the blues for 25 years mainly in the 2 lower leagues and half of the time we'd have been desperate for a player of Hurst's quality. I give you Gordon Connelly or Louis Soares, and ask you how the hell you can abuse Hurst?

Equally, whilst we're on the subject of crowd input, I don't understand why people can only see the penalty saves Mr Bentley makes, and not the crosses he flaps at or the way he fails to dominate his penalty area - Paul Smith got chastised for far less. If he has ambitions of playing at the top level (which lets be honest most of our players don't) he's the one who needs to raise his game and he's the one who should be getting pressured by the crowd. If I was a neutral (which I'm not) I think a move to QPR may have put more pressure on Dan to improve, rather than remaining at SUFC where he'll be applauded no matter what he does.

Hursty just needs to adapt his game a little and work on the quality, which is already pretty good, of his delivery so he doesn't NEED to try and beat players so much. Certainly his corners have been better than Coker's of late, seems to me that we sometimes stick with a player for corners and they get worse! Delighted he's finding form again, always been a nice bloke to deal with at JB events.

I was always a fan of Hurst. He has always had quality my gripe was that at times his effort and body language were both poor.

It's a strange game. He was nowhere near the first 11 and only got a shot due to injuries, but has been decent and should keep his shirt until brown sees others who can do more.

We have including Atkinson 5 wide players- something that was grumbled about earlier in the season- now 3 of them are injured leaving us Hurst and Atkinson. My point is that if you have this strength in depth any of the 5 can find themselves out of the side and simply wont get an extended run unless they are on top of their game- and once out you have to patiently await your chance- the other 4 have had too as well (even Worrall).

This is now Hurst's opportunity to get a run in the side and he has grabbed it- he will probably get at least 5 or 6 games and by then he may have made himself very hard to drop- he's a good player and in form will give you goals too so lets hope this is how it plays out

As someone said earlier, he's an intelligent player. He's probably not as quick as he was 2/3 years ago, but he can still beat most full backs at this level and put a quality ball in - his delivery is the best at the club and on a par with Worrall I feel. Everything we CREATED at Oldham he was involved in.

It amazes me that he attracts groans from the crowd in the same way it amazed me Mark Gower used to attract abuse, despite him setting up half our goals. (I'm not saying they are the same quality of player). What do you want at this level? I've been following the blues for 25 years mainly in the 2 lower leagues and half of the time we'd have been desperate for a player of Hurst's quality. I give you Gordon Connelly or Louis Soares, and ask you how the hell you can abuse Hurst?

Equally, whilst we're on the subject of crowd input, I don't understand why people can only see the penalty saves Mr Bentley makes, and not the crosses he flaps at or the way he fails to dominate his penalty area - Paul Smith got chastised for far less. If he has ambitions of playing at the top level (which lets be honest most of our players don't) he's the one who needs to raise his game and he's the one who should be getting pressured by the crowd. If I was a neutral (which I'm not) I think a move to QPR may have put more pressure on Dan to improve, rather than remaining at SUFC where he'll be applauded no matter what he does.

Just what we need. Instead of player of the month, we could have player to abuse of the month

Back