• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A good game, Wigan certainly did not come for the draw as someone else has said on here and were absolutely trying to win it right up to the death.

Considering their budget/squad size and our injury crisis I thought we did bloody well actually. We had much more of the play although they made the best chances.

Another unbeaten league November, which considering the fixtures and our problems I think is a terrific achievement.

Ratings -

Bentley - 7 - Made one great save but a couple of dodgy kicks and one bizarre incident when he was absolutely rooted to his line while the ball was bouncing around in front of him.

White - 7.5 - Steady at the back and put some quality crosses in
Coker - 8 - Solid performance and again, some good quality
Thompson - 8.5 - MOM - Best I've seen him play. won everything.
Barrett - 8 - Usual "Thou shalt not pass" commitment

Hurst - 7.5 - Best I've seen from him for ages, really hard working performance.
Leonard - 8 - Unlucky to hit the bar and made a good goal-line clearance
Atkinson - 8 - Busy, terrier like performance and a very good goal-line clearance
Rea - 7 - Didn't look out of place in midfield
Payne - 8 - So frustrating. At times he looks like a world beater and then he often does that one pass too many or tries to beat that extra man. Looked tired after 80 mins.

Mooney - 6 - I marked him down for the dive to try and win the penalty. If he stays on his feet then he could have got a shot away. I detest cheats and cheating. Otherwise a hard working performance with little change against their big blokes at the back.

Sub - Pigott - 7 - Showed a couple of nice touches bit didn't get long enough really.

Ref - 5 - I didn't think he was very good. I have no idea how that game warranted, what was it, 5 yellow cards? Poor use of the advantage rule on two or three occasions.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you who have posted reports on this thread. I can rarely get to matches any more and enjoy reading the kind of informative assessments and opinions from those supporters who were at the game that have been posted today. I really feel that you have conveyed the flavour of the game to me.

Thanks to all of you who have posted reports on this thread. I can rarely get to matches any more and enjoy reading the kind of informative assessments and opinions from those supporters who were at the game that have been posted today. I really feel that you have conveyed the flavour of the game to me.

Interesting - I went through Sleaford earlier this week and stopped in the market square for a cup of tea. It all seems rather flat to me (that's the landscape - not the atmosphere) but great if you'd like some cabbage. :thumbsup:

A draw was probably a fair result. Wigan had three good chances but apart from that they didn't show as much as I was expecting. I thought our lads did well but just lacked in the final third today.

Bentley - 6.5 - Couple of good stops helped to get another clean sheet.

White - 8 - I thought White had one of his best games of the season, got forward and put in some dangerous crosses. Not troubled in defence either.
Thompson - 8 - Commanding performance, he is getting better with the game time and works well with AB.
Barrett - 7.5 - Solid, seems like he has a lot left in the tank.
Coker - 7 - decent performance, never looks hurried on the ball and retains possession brilliantly.

Atkinson - 7.5 - Decent performance, good tackling and link up play. Shouldn't have been booked by the ref.
Rea - 7 - Can't fault his performance, good utility player. Kept things simple and supported play well in defence and going forward. Lacked a little urgency with passes further up the field but that will come with time and experience playing in midfield.
Leonard - 8 - Pick of the midfield. Great commanding first half and was unlucky not to score. Faded a bit in the second half.
Hurst - 6 - Wasn't at his best, linked well with Coker but neither were able to put in a decent final ball. Tracked back well.

Payne - 7.5 - Started slowly but when he got on the ball things started to happen.
Mooney - 5.5 - Really frustrating player.

I watched Mooneys Orient goal collection the other day, he was a natural poacher for them and looked more proactive, physical and quicker. The player we have looks like he is either well past his peak, or being asked to play a role that does not suit him. We use him as a support striker but too many times he gets pulled out wide/deep. Yesterday he had a couple of good opportunities made for him but he didn't want to take them on and go for goal, he would rather turn and pass.

Sounds like ano quality performance especially given the injury list. A good point and a mus'nt lose for me as Wigan is the next town west from here and many WAFC fans local and known by me, especially him next door, a former STH at the JJB.

Sounds like ano quality performance especially given the injury list. A good point and a mus'nt lose for me as Wigan is the next town west from here and many WAFC fans local and known by me, especially him next door, a former STH at the JJB.

Did he stop going when they plummeted out of the Prem?

Mooney works hard, but as others have said, he lacks that extra pace that would allow him to get on the end of some of our crosses. Impressed with Atkinson who I think is benefitting from a regular place in the side. Worrell was missed and would have added some extra creativity. That said given the injury list this was an excellent point with all deserving the extra rest early exit from the cup has afforded us.

Interesting - I went through Sleaford earlier this week and stopped in the market square for a cup of tea. It all seems rather flat to me (that's the landscape - not the atmosphere) but great if you'd like some cabbage. :thumbsup:
You're not far wrong! We've got some good leeks at the moment, too.

Back