• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Full Time:

Northampton 1 - 1 Shrewsbury (both teams down to 10 men after 65 minutes, 2 red cards & 4 yellows).

Rochdale 0 - 2 Fleetwood.

Last edited:
People still worrying about teams below us results!!! Relax lads it’s about us not them.

Two disappointing results for us. Seven points from The drop zone now. The sooner we get the two wins that we need the better.

Really don't get it. Northampton need to win their home games given where they are, so I doubt they will be happy with a draw; and if Rochdale had beaten Fleetwood, some doom-monger would have come on here and said " oh, I can see Rochdale with all those home games in hand catching us up".

Bet there will be more slit wrists tomorrow night if Walsall get anything from their game against Wigan.

We are NOT going down.

Who says he is good enough for the Championship? -Very few League 1 players are these days. He's a Londoner from Lewisham so a move to us would be a move back down South.

Just like Wright, he was poor at the Orient.

Just like Wright we could do better.

Really don't get it. Northampton need to win their home games given where they are, so I doubt they will be happy with a draw; and if Rochdale had beaten Fleetwood, some doom-monger would have come on here and said " oh, I can see Rochdale with all those home games in hand catching us up".

Bet there will be more slit wrists tomorrow night if Walsall get anything from their game against Wigan.

We are NOT going down.

I'm pretty sure that you're right, but I'll breathe easier once we've got the 5 or 6 points needed. At the moment we face four challenging fixtures and we have scored one goal in our last four games. But we are Southend United and will probably thrash Rotherham. Sixty years of supporting this club have led me to expect the unexpected.....

We are NOT going down.

Why would there be more slit wrists tomorrow night?.... As you say we are not going down.

I can't see Walsall getting more than a draw tomorrow night, so you can relax.

As for your Rochdale comment, it doesn't make much sense, because even if they won their next two games in hand, will still keep them in the relegation zone, and 7 points behind us.

Last edited:
.......and your point is?...........

My point is if you think we can get someone up front better than John Marquis then you are deluding yourself (unless of course we get a relative unknown like Collymore or Eastwood).
Please tell me a better striker we have had since Fredy (first time round)? I wager no-one as good as Marquis. Please don't say Barry Corr.

John Marquis scored 26 goals at League Two level.

Division One is obviously a higher level, so he's holding his own so far with 11 league goals & counting.

Tell me someone better then we should have brought in hindsight?..... (Considering our small budget?)

.....Well Simon Cox (16 goals last season) wasn't a bad purchase, was it?

Last pre - season, My money was on John Akinde, after scoring 31 goals in the 2014/15 season, then scoring 23 goals in the 2015/16 season, followed by 26 goals in the 2016/17. (80 goals in 3 seasons!!) I thought he would be prime for the taking, for a footballer that wanted to step up a level.......Yet only 4 goals so far this season?

Basically, SCP, needs to have a proper re-build at the end of the season, however until that time happens, we are stuck with what we have.

So in the mean time, let's all get behind our team.

UTS

:happy:

John Marquis scored 26 goals at League Two level.

Division One is obviously a higher level, so he's holding his own so far with 11 league goals & counting.

Tell me someone better then we should have brought in hindsight?..... (Considering our small budget?)

.....Well Simon Cox (16 goals last season) wasn't a bad purchase, was it?

Last pre - season, My money was on John Akinde, after scoring 31 goals in the 2014/15 season, then scoring 23 goals in the 2015/16 season, followed by 26 goals in the 2016/17. (80 goals in 3 seasons!!) I thought he would be prime for the taking, for a footballer that wanted to step up a level.......Yet only 4 goals so far this season?

Basically, SCP, needs to have a proper re-build at the end of the season, however until that time happens, we are stuck with what we have.

So in the mean time, let's all get behind our team.

UTS

:happy:

It's all well and good saying SCP needs a re-build, but whoever our manager is, we are still Southend United.

I hope SCP does fair better than PB, but I'll still think we'll end up with either unknowns, unheard of youngers or older players on their way down.

I really hope it is different, but until we're more of an attractive pull (which is why I think a new stadium is a must) we will continue to struggle in the market.

My point is if you think we can get someone up front better than John Marquis then you are deluding yourself (unless of course we get a relative unknown like Collymore or Eastwood).
Please tell me a better striker we have had since Fredy (first time round)? I wager no-one as good as Marquis. Please don't say Barry Corr.

Marquis has had one successful season and that was in the fourth division last season.

As previously noted he was poor at the Os (any thoughts Johnny Stokes?) where he scored no goals in 13 league appearances.

This is only the second season in his career that he has scored double figures and he's 25.

How many times have you watched Marquis live?

Much prefer Simon Cox.

Last edited:
With strikers, it's not always about their record elsewhere, but about whether a style of play suits their strengths.

Looking at the way SCP appears to want to set-up, I would wager he will be looking at the type of striker who will attack a cross and look to get in-between centre-halves. Best examples I've seen in League One this season are Brett Pittman and Keifer Moore.

This is why I see Lapoodle as a disappointment. He doesn't seem to be the sort to thrive on crosses. Nile didn't either. Ironically, the best finishing in the air I've seen in the last 12 months from a striker has been Theo. A couple of examples being the goals at Oxford away and Oldham at home.

At Charlton, he brought in Yann Kermogant and Bradley Wright-Phillips and I can see him maybe aiming to keep Coxy and add a Kermogant style player upfront.

As others have said, though, our pot is nowhere near as big, so some diligent shopping might be our only option.

Cox was far better pedigree than Marquis when we signed him and still in his prime. This time last season Cox was doing better than Marquis has this season in league 1.

Lee Barnard had already scored well past Marquis tally now when we sold him in Jan a few years back.

He looks fairly decent when I've seen him but Marquis had a lot of opportunities at Millwall and didn't perform. Who's to say once he leaves Doncaster he'll continue to do well. League 1 is about his level id say.

Back