• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex 2017 (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
202-6. That's a bit better.

Yeah slightly. We are now 223-6 at tea.

The scorecard is certainly looking a lot better than it did when we were at 68-5.

I think Essex would be pleased if they can get to 300 runs in the next 37 overs for the additional batting bonus.

Well played Dan Lawrence 101*

Great effort in the circumstances and some crucial, crucial runs.

Essex 323/6

Shame we lost Foster & especially Rhodes so quickly, until that, we were on for an epic come back.

Currently at 338-8. With a ton+ lead so far. Surely 350 must be our new target by the end of play (can't see us declaring this evening now).

Now time for Napier to hit 6's in style all over the shop in his final few matches before retirement.

bloody hell, what a comeback that is!
superb batting from us. last season we'd of been bowled out for 80 and they would of romped it, now we are a whole different team.
i met a mate, a middlesex fan, at lunch and i was all doom gloom. how wrong i was.

Dan Lawrence, take a bow lad. superb.

now let's win it

Close of play (Sadly a couple of overs early due to bad light).

Essex finish on 368-8 from 103 overs played, I'm hoping that tomorrow we can make the 400 mark within the next 7 overs to earn the maximum points. It's a tough call, but you never know. I expect us to go all out tomorrow morning or declare early after the 110 overs. IMO.. there's no point in batting until lunch, even if we survive that long.

Great day, that.

Superb counter-attack from RTD and what an innings of maturity from Dan Lawrence.

Great day, that.

Superb counter-attack from RTD and what an innings of maturity from Dan Lawrence.

I Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Cook, Browne, & Bopara really didn't perform in this innings, but thankfully RTD, Lawrence and foster did, to even it up a little bit. We can't blame Porter being bought in as night watchman (as his average is only around 8 runs), but I would have expected more from Rhodes.

All said and done, we have a 130+ run lead, with 2 wickets left, I would say we are marginally in the driving seat at this stage. That's just see what we have after the 110 overs and then make our minds up.

Essex for promotion!! :happy:

Close of play (Sadly a couple of overs early due to bad light).

Essex finish on 368-8 from 103 overs played, I'm hoping that tomorrow we can make the 400 mark within the next 7 overs to earn the maximum points. It's a tough call, but you never know. I expect us to go all out tomorrow morning or declare early after the 110 overs. IMO.. there's no point in batting until lunch, even if we survive that long.

Could be wrong, but wouldn't we be safer declaring overnight, and denying 2nd placed Leicestershire their 3rd bowling point?

Could be wrong, but wouldn't we be safer declaring overnight, and denying 2nd placed Leicestershire their 3rd bowling point?

Agreed, It is a bit of a double edged sword.

Essex have already got the maximum of 3 bowling points. & so far 4 batting points in the bag already. So 7 points to date.

Leicester have 1 batting point, and currently 2 bowling points, obviously bringing them to 3 points. So we have a 4 point lead.

The question is should we risk to bat on? to try to achieve another 32 runs with out loss in the last 7 overs (which means just under 5 runs an over.. doubtful.. but possible) without loss, & gaining another bonus point. Or should we declare first thing in the morning?

What would you do?

Bat through to the end? or declare after 110 overs? or something else?

Personally bat on and see how the wicket plays , especially as tail Enders in, might give them a spot to aim at

Kent could be dark horses in promotion, big game coming up soon

bat on, and on, and on.

get every single run possible. every run we get in the first innings we don't need to get in the second. if it's going to be tricky getting 150+ in the second innings then lets try to get a lead of 200 and make them do something really special to save the game.

don't even worry about the last batting point, don't risk the 16 for a win (effectively double as it's against a rival) for one batting point

Defiantly the most sensible option.

Yet my heart says play T20 cricket tomorrow morning, & go for the maximum runs over 110 overs & then declare, get them into bat & probably get a few early wickets. and leave it to the Cookie Monster finish them off.

bat on, and on, and on.

get every single run possible. every run we get in the first innings we don't need to get in the second. if it's going to be tricky getting 150+ in the second innings then lets try to get a lead of 200 and make them do something really special to save the game.

don't even worry about the last batting point, don't risk the 16 for a win (effectively double as it's against a rival) for one batting point

Have to agree with this. Get as big of a lead as possible and bat them out the game. Day 4 could be tricky to bat so no point in given them any chance of winning!

exactly, sod what you're heart says, my head says grind them into the dirt

Save that emotion for Canterbury on the last game of the season! :thumbsup:

I seem to have spent half my life on the wrong side of the estuary these days.. So i would love it if we could F(_)ck them up royally for the final match.

My opinion, Get the 110 overs out the way, and then declare. But I don't want to see us batting after lunch. We are already 130 runs ahead.

We are in a great position and what a talent Lawrence looks like he's going to be, I forgot he has only just turned 19 as he has been about a couple of years now!

On a side note I am reading Mohammad Amir as our overseas player next year, think that would be a decent acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back