• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex 2017 (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, make you right on that.

Currently we'd need 5 an over, if they collapsed now.

Been game over since lead went over 180
All about the Sri Lankan now and personal records.
Essex will need to bat properly and not find themselves in position where they could be bowled out.
Only one team can win now and that's not Essex.
I'd be a worried man if I was Alec Stewart as Surrey seem very much a one man band.

Essex v Surrey

Surrey First innings 369 all out
Essex 383 all out
Surrey Second innings 260 - for 9 wickets dec

Result Match Drawn

Table

1 Essex 5 2 0 3 8 13 68
2 Surrey 5 1 0 4 18 13 67
3 Hampshire 5 2 1 2 6 12 60
4 Lancashire 4 1 0 3 10 10 51
5 Yorkshire 4 1 1 2 9 10 45
6 Middlesex 3 0 0 3 12 8 35
7 Warwickshire 4 0 2 2 7 8 25
8 Somerset 4 0 3 1 4 11 20

Very positive start to the season this - staying in top division is ultimate goal and being top coming into June is the best way of achieving that. If Mohammad Amir does what is expected then who knows but probably the wickets would have calmed down by that time. A top three finish and a Lords final would do very nicely thank you.

After an indifferent start we're looking very much like we belong. Long may that continue!

Jamie Porter player of the season so far. He's been outstanding.

After an indifferent start we're looking very much like we belong. Long may that continue!

Jamie Porter player of the season so far. He's been outstanding.

Me and my mate were talking about how impressed we have been with him. Too slow to ever have England look at him so could be a massive player for us in the next few years, a new Masters

Me and my mate were talking about how impressed we have been with him. Too slow to ever have England look at him so could be a massive player for us in the next few years, a new Masters

He's a bit quicker than Masters!

I see him as our Tim Murtagh, who led the Middlesex attack for many years and has been a real stalwart for them.

He's a bit quicker than Masters!

I see him as our Tim Murtagh, who led the Middlesex attack for many years and has been a real stalwart for them.

I meant more for his accuracy. Not as slow as Masters but too slow for England to take an interest IMO. I think we can both agree that at 24 he could make a massive and long contribution to Essex.

I meant more for his accuracy. Not as slow as Masters but too slow for England to take an interest IMO. I think we can both agree that at 24 he could make a massive and long contribution to Essex.

Think Dan Lawrence will get first viewing, looks a immense talent if handled in the right way by Essex and England
Top division can only showcase him this year

UTE

Yep in the Lions squad to play SA "A" next month.

First game is tomorrow (seems a weird decision to me what with England playing tomorrow) but can see Lawrence excelling for England, at all aspects of the game. Cookie has already said how good he is and he's not one to come out with statements like that too often!

I'm going along to the game on Friday and maybe over the weekend. Sadly I was at the one day of the Surrey game at home that Sangakarra didn't bat.

We've been good this year. If Harmer and Wagner could shave ten runs each off their bowling averages we'd be laughing. If Amir averages in the 20s with the ball and everyone else stays the same we have a real chance.
Porter has been player of the season so far to me. Cook has done great but Porter has been the stock and strike bowler, 3rd top wicket taker in the country, good average, good control.
And, if he doesn't pick up any pace we won't lose him to England. It's on odd thing about domestic cricket, that to be the best team you need players just below the top standard.

Anyone else coming to Guildford?

I'm going along to the game on Friday and maybe over the weekend. Sadly I was at the one day of the Surrey game at home that Sangakarra didn't bat.

We've been good this year. If Harmer and Wagner could shave ten runs each off their bowling averages we'd be laughing. If Amir averages in the 20s with the ball and everyone else stays the same we have a real chance.
Porter has been player of the season so far to me. Cook has done great but Porter has been the stock and strike bowler, 3rd top wicket taker in the country, good average, good control.
And, if he doesn't pick up any pace we won't lose him to England. It's on odd thing about domestic cricket, that to be the best team you need players just below the top standard.

Anyone else coming to Guildford?

I wouldn't be so sure. He's been called up by the Lions!

Weather allowing, am looking to go to Guildford Saturday and Sunday.

I wouldn't be so sure. He's been called up by the Lions!

Weather allowing, am looking to go to Guildford Saturday and Sunday.

true, but there have been a few players picked up loads and loads of Lions caps before getting anywhere near England. Having watched him, I'd be surprised if he got picked. Win win either way maybe

Sangakarra's working with SKY on The Champions Trophy, so does this mean he misses the match?

Sangakarra's working with SKY on The Champions Trophy, so does this mean he misses the match?

Pretty sure he'll only be working for Sky between Surrey matches.

Rob Key and Dominic Cork use to do similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back