• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's moments like these that remind us why we had to get out of the FL2 swamp. Now we have done the business there I hope Col Ewe pick up points galore because otherwise moments like these will end at the end of the season. I almost feel a bit sorry for their supporters after that result. Well done you Blues and especially Mr Mooney. I have always had total faith that you would score again soon mate :liar:. And as for John White getting on the score sheet, it could only happen as a Christmas present to him and us all. I'm ecstatic.

Moments like these will end at the end of this season regardless of what happens to Colchester.

Were all over the place first twenty and could even have been 2-0 down. We finally got a grip and ended the second half on top. A great strike from white for the goal, seemed to take an age to go in, and I think it came from a long throw indirectly. The second was great determination from Hunt, who didnt allow the defender to push him off the ball and then toe poked the ball through for Mooney, who showed untypical composure to score. He should have scored 10 mins earlier but found himself offside and the goal was correctly ruled out. You can see why Colchester are bottom. They played some great football, especially in the opening 20, but as soon as they didnt get the breakthrough, their heads dropped. Would love to sign Moncur though, he is far too good for them. Overall, a win similar to the Millwall away game, didnt create much but took our chances. Midfield gave the ball away a bit to easy, but I think that was the best ive seen Mooney play for us.

I've nothing significant to add to my earlier post (except I have graduated on to red Wine from my earlier beer(s) via rose!) but in the interim and with a little help I have updated my profile picture! Have a good evening, I will!

I can't actually say I can remember anything from the game at all apart from whites slow mo goal and mooney knocking it past the keeper and in... I'm just over the moon with the result! Thanks to Danny the commercial director (I think) for helping with the tickets after we had trouble getting them! Dead centre behind the goal! Something I'll never forget! What a day!

Colchester United 0, Southend United 2

SECOND-HALF strikes from John White and David Mooney secured Southend United a terrific 2-0 win at local rivals Colchester this afternoon.

More...

I sat in the Col Ewe end today due to a lack of tickets so I was disappointed to see a number of empty seats - it must have been at least 100 - dotted around in the Southend end. Why do some people buy a ticket on the off chance?

Irrespective, they came out the traps far quicker than us probably because they had a new manager. But as the game went on the fact that we clearly had confidence and they didn't became apparent as we slowly took hold. I actually thought John White had stage fright today - one of the worst games I'd seen him play until his goal. Bentley earned his salary this week, Adam Thompson appeared to be mopping everything up at the back and Hunt, when fit, is too clever for defenders at this level. But as ever, everyone put a shift in. We've picked up a "good player on the way down" in Hunt which isn't a guaranteed winner - see George Elokobi or Darren Ambrose.

Thought it was a decent stadium too. Whilst I enjoy the rivalry with Col U I'm pleased with our success at the moment rather than being delighted with their problems - some SUFC fans clearly take far more enjoyment from the latter.

I sat in the Col Ewe end today due to a lack of tickets so I was disappointed to see a number of empty seats - it must have been at least 100 - dotted around in the Southend end. Why do some people buy a ticket on the off chance?

Irrespective, they came out the traps far quicker than us probably because they had a new manager. But as the game went on the fact that we clearly had confidence and they didn't became apparent as we slowly took hold. I actually thought John White had stage fright today - one of the worst games I'd seen him play until his goal. Bentley earned his salary this week, Adam Thompson appeared to be mopping everything up at the back and Hunt, when fit, is too clever for defenders at this level. But as ever, everyone put a shift in. We've picked up a "good player on the way down" in Hunt which isn't a guaranteed winner - see George Elokobi or Darren Ambrose.

Thought it was a decent stadium too. Whilst I enjoy the rivalry with Col U I'm pleased with our success at the moment rather than being delighted with their problems - some SUFC fans clearly take far more enjoyment from the latter.

Agree completely, while it's nice to see them doing so poorly to an extent it would be a shame to lose the derby games again should they go down, if for no other reason.

Thought John White had a great game. Showed good strength and scores the all important first goal. Agree with you about Bentley my MOM. In the modern game its not often you see a keeper who can win one-on-ones with his hands without conceding a penalty.

Stage fright ? Not sure what people expect from a League One defender ? I thought he did well, up against a tricky winger. IMO his positional play and reading of the game is first class.

Stage fright ? Not sure what people expect from a League One defender ? I thought he did well, up against a tricky winger. IMO his positional play and reading of the game is first class.

I'm a big John White fan and agree with your assessment of him. I was talking about today's performance only.

I'm a big John White fan and agree with your assessment of him. I was talking about today's performance only.

So was I ! lol. I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I manage an U9's team and have been teaching them lately how to put your body in the way and see the ball out for a throw-in/goal kick. Hope some of them were at the game today as JW does it to perfection.

I was under no illusion that we would be on for a comfortable win and I knew our back five would have to be well up for the 'clean sheet' mentality today. What we got was a good captains performance from JW.

Their first chance JW slid in and put the guy off and he puts it wide. First corner JW leans on their guy at the back post stopped him winning a certain header. First time their 'tricky' winger gets to the by-line in the box JW muscled him out for a goal kick. So three great bits of defending without even touching the ball and I don't think Bentley had even made his saves at this point. Just what I want to see from a captain as it sends a clear message to the team.

Absolutely brilliant result today which has made my whole entire Christmas! Even better looking at the latest League One form table:

1st Burton - WWLWWWWD
2nd Walsall - DWDLWWWW
3rd Peterborough - LWWWWDLW
4th Southend - DDDWWDWW

21st Barnsley - LLLWLDWL
22nd Shrewsbury - LLWDLDLD
23rd Chesterfield - WLLLLLLL
24th Colchester - ROFLLMAO

#OneTeamInEssex :moon:

Great win! Not the greatest performance, but getting the 3 points was what really mattered. I might get knocked for this, but I thought Moncur looked very good, far too good for them. Think he'd fit nicely into our side.

Totally agree... He'd definitely give us options that we don't have in the team

Not a great performance, but a great result. First half we were all over the place, although the wind defo affected the game. Second half we were more solid. Both goals taken very well. At the back after the first 25 mins Barrett and Thompson were solid, Coker and white did well against tricky wingers. Bentley was superb in goal. Midfield looked tired at times but kept going. Upfront the front two looked frustrated at times but when it mattered paired up to score the crucial second goal. The fans were brilliant, atmosphere was electric at times and we completely out sung the Colshite fans who made little noise. All in all a very satisfying derby win and the unbeaten runs continues. Millwall and Donny at home, both very winnable. Onwards and upwards.

Back