• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I loved this season, we finished 12th Bobby Gilfillan scoring 23. I was 12/13 and saw every home game and four away.

I was 6/7 back then, my dad took me along. Was devastated the following season being relegated to D4. Even after all these years I much prefer the atmosphere of an evening game.

I started watching Southend regularly in Season 1962-63 a season in which we finished 8th in Division Three, basically the position we are in now. So in over 50 years with all the ups and downs its back to square one for me.

So are Southend now in a higher or lower position than when you started watching them?

Same season as me lots of ups and downs but never too far from where we are now.

Just grateful to still have a team to support what with all the goings on over the years.

Higher...was TODAY..1967...v Brentford,my first game...so now,48 years ago(as a 11 year old),i would be home now,with my FIRST blues programme..6d...costs 2 bob to get in.Got the prog hanging on my wall.....
New years party..shrimpers club..tickets 7/6
It says .youth section news..sellingmany things..progs,scarves,RATTLES,ROSETTES,hats.....happy days

Scunny at home 24th September 1976, so lower. 1-1 draw, Alan Little scoring for us. The pain has rarely dulled since. :sad:

Higher. Relegation against Chester at home to the old 4th division.
First game was Fulham 0-0 at home in 81 but a bit young to call myself a fan then.. As only eight.
Remember queuing in old north bank for £5.00... Sigh

My first match was a 2-0 home defeat to Swindon in September 1960. We were 21st in Division Three before the game and 22nd after it. Both before and after the match Colchester were below us ... plus ça change !

The crowd was a healthy 9,242 and I stood (or ran around as you do when you're 9 years old) on the South Bank.

If I'd just waited another week and a half for my debut, I could have started with a home 6-1 win over the then League leaders, Watford, and a Bud Houghton hat-trick.

We survived relegation by one point and one position that season ..... Colchester didn't.

Quite surprisingly, 11 teams in that division 55 years ago are in that same division today.

My first season was I think 1986/87 and I think we were third tier but struggling so I reckon we are marginally higher.

Back