• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The EU Referendum

How are you voting?

• Leave

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • Remain

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have just been reading about the misery for those stuck in the queues to get onto the Dover ferries and across to Calais; caused by French border/customs security.
FFS don't they know they ought to check their own and Belgium nationals + similar internal concerns rather than caravaning Brits!
AND why do the Frenches get away with impeding Free Movement (& the Spanish at Gib) when it is clearly against EU law.
AND then why are their farmers, air traffic persons etc also allowed every summer to cause mayhem to holidaying, hard working Brits?
Pah to holidaying on the continent.:angry:
EU off!

I have just been reading about the misery for those stuck in the queues to get onto the Dover ferries and across to Calais; caused by French border/customs security.
FFS don't they know they ought to check their own and Belgium nationals + similar internal concerns rather than caravaning Brits!

AND why do the Frenches get away with impeding Free Movement (& the Spanish at Gib) when it is clearly against EU law.
AND then why are their farmers, air traffic persons etc also allowed every summer to cause mayhem to holidaying, hard working Brits?
Pah to holidaying on the continent.:angry:
EU off!

As it happens, my young (adult) daughter and her French boyfriend drove across from Calais to Dover on P and O ferries on their way to Southend,earlier this week,and were extremely suprised not to be asked to show their passports at UK customs.

Last edited:
As it happens, my young (adult) daughter and her French boyfriend drove across from Calais to Dover on P and O ferries on their way to Southend,earlier this week,and were extremely suprised not to be asked to show their passports at UK customs.

Which point did they not get checked? on boarding at Calais or entering Dover.
I doubt they would have got on the ferry without having their tickets and ID checked so it was likely done very unobtrusively.
As it happens smoothly when done for the direction to the UK why, other than being asses, is it so, currently, lamentable when French run? other than made so for political reasons?

Another day another pointless link. So the Banksters might have a trim in bonus.. Howl howl howl

Meanwhile for any young person the good news is house prices will fall and interest rates might be cut to zero. So I will save money on my mortgage, as its set at 1.79 above base.

Winners and losers when it comes to a falling pound and exchange rates. A friend of mine has just completed on a sale of his property in France for around 750,000 euros. It was sold pre-Brexit, so by the time he brings the money back he will be around £60,000 better off.

Which point did they not get checked? on boarding at Calais or entering Dover.
I doubt they would have got on the ferry without having their tickets and ID checked so it was likely done very unobtrusively.
As it happens smoothly when done for the direction to the UK why, other than being asses, is it so, currently, lamentable when French run? other than made so for political reasons?

Entering Dover I believe.They're down in Cornwall,atm.

Another day another pointless link. So the Banksters might have a trim in bonus.. Howl howl howl

Meanwhile for any young person the good news is house prices will fall and interest rates might be cut to zero. So I will save money on my mortgage, as its set at 1.79 above base.

Winners and losers when it comes to a falling pound and exchange rates. A friend of mine has just completed on a sale of his property in France for around 750,000 euros. It was sold pre-Brexit, so by the time he brings the money back he will be around £60,000 better off.

I'm sure you'll remember Harold Wilson's famous line :-"This does not mean that the pound in your pocket has been devalued". :winking: Oh yes it does.Some 10% since Brexit and 15% since this time last year.

Tangled up in Blue;1878840 I'm sure you'll remember Harold Wilson's famous line :-"This does not mean that the pound in your pocket has been devalued". :winking: Oh yes it does.Some 10% since Brexit and 15% since this time last year.[/QUOTE said:
Devaluation has been insidious for a decade plus. When I was last paid in euros, 2004, it was over 2.5 to the one British pound, and I got paid in 500 euro notes!

The pound was too high then and fluctuates by too much almost daily now.

Entering Dover I believe.

All checks are carried out in the port of departure, so I am not surprised they weren't checked at Dover.
As an aside, although I voted remain, I find some of the recent 'anti Brexit' hysteria (especially from the Independent) pointless and counter productive. It's far too early to judge the effects of the decision yet.

Devaluation has been insidious for a decade plus. When I was last paid in euros, 2004, it was over 2.5 to the one British pound, and I got paid in 500 euro notes!

The pound was too high then and fluctuates by too much almost daily now.

And when I spent 3 months in the States in 1973, the exchange rate was 2.40 $ to the pound.Don't think we'll ever see that sort of rate again.:winking:

On a serious note, it would be foolhardy to downplay the recent devaluation of the pound against the Euro.It's odds on that the pound will fall again when serious negotiations about Brexit start and before they're concluded.

My reading of yesterday's meeting between May and Merkel was that artiicle 50 will be invoked early in the new year,probably in January.

Please keep predicting early Article 50. If only you'd have predicted a Brexit win we wouldn't be in this mess.

Meanwhile Teresa May has confirmed that there won't be border checks between the UK and the EU post-Brexit.

Please keep predicting early Article 50. If only you'd have predicted a Brexit win we wouldn't be in this mess.

Meanwhile Teresa May has confirmed that there won't be border checks between the UK and the EU post-Brexit.

All the EU or just we are not getting rid of the common border with Eire?

Very much the latter I'd've thought since she was in NI yesterday.

ps.Thought Eire was usually called the Republic these days?

Some refer to the two countries as the Free State and the Six Occupied counties, but lets not go there.

Just receieved an internal email in regards to NR employees being harrassed and bullied due to their nationality and their voting choice, be it remain or leave. Shameful.

Just receieved an internal email in regards to NR employees being harrassed and bullied due to their nationality and their voting choice, be it remain or leave. Shameful.

Many of us can relate to this as that's exactly what happened to us Brits who were planning to vote out, on this very forum for the previous 12 months.

Little Englander, racist, xenophobe, uninformed, uneducated.......Just some of the terms that were used. By the way I have heard some sad/funny stories about families I know that have had fall outs over the result. Useualy the younger generation falling out with dad.

By the way don't take this personal MK (sometimes you do ). You were actually well behaved in the run up to the vote.

Many of us can relate to this as that's exactly what happened to us Brits who were planning to vote out, on this very forum for the previous 12 months.

Little Englander, racist, xenophobe, uninformed, uneducated.......Just some of the terms that were used. By the way I have heard some sad/funny stories about families I know that have had fall outs over the result. Useualy the younger generation falling out with dad.

By the way don't take this personal MK (sometimes you do ). You were actually well behaved in the run up to the vote.

Thanks. I have good friends who voted out, they're still good friends. However two colleagues who've known each other for 25+ years had to be seperated at a works drink up as they were about to get physical over it.

Back