• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The EU Referendum

How are you voting?

• Leave

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • Remain

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As LBJ said of Hoover:- "I'd sooner have him inside the tent ****ing out, than outside the tent ****ing in."

That sums up my attitude to EU membership precisely.

Trouble is that our tent's full up with people ****ing all over the place.

So the IFS say's a Brexit 'could'.....'possibly'.....lengthen the time spent enduring austerity measures put forward by DC and his cohorts by aprox another two years. IF true I'd say that's a price worth paying in order to regain our economic destiny, self governance and democratic rule we've lost up to this point.

On another point. I'd like to hear the Remain campers counter arguments to the fact the EU is inherently undemocratic, corrupt and proven itself unwilling to and incapable of making meaningful reform.

Err, can someone more politically educated please explain to me why just 6(?) months ago, Cameron was threatening to pull the UK out of the EU, citing we'd thrive on our own? But now he's leading the scaremongering? Ta

Err, can someone more politically educated please explain to me why just 6(?) months ago, Cameron was threatening to pull the UK out of the EU, citing we'd thrive on our own? But now he's leading the scaremongering? Ta

In short NO.
Similar to the points on EU audits, corruption, falling £ and thus cheaper exports, border control & ECHR stuff there has been no response or answer.
Any reply seems to consist solely of some academic fiscal body's report, web link based, on hypothetical, possible, maybe, could, perhaps possibilities worst case scenarios.

lots of possibles? too many?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36382199

Here's something for all the ''fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists" out there to get their teeth into.

What about people who live in this country but can't.........

• Get their kids into their local school because it's full
  • Get seen at A&E because it's full
  • Get a doctor's appointment because they're full
  • Get a seat on a train because they're full
  • Buy a house because demand (too many people) exceeds supply and the prices are hugely inflated
  • etc etc etc

.....can they get their teeth into this too or do they have to be closet racists?

This country does not have the infrastructure to support the current population so how the hell is it going to cope with more than a steady, controlled net increase in population?

While we're at it, what about answers to questions from others about corruption, accountability, refusal to be audited etc? Currently 0/10 and see me after class for that lot.

You might find it useful to read this:-https://www.euractiv.com/section/trade-society/opinion/ttip-is-no-reason-to-leave-the-eu/

Personally,I agree with JC's opinion:-

"He disagrees with TTIP and is not known for his EU-enthusiasm, but he says that the UK should remain in the EU, either to improve the deal or to block it."

If we were not in the EU we would not have to waste our time improving or blocking lunatic legislation. We, and Mr C in particular, could spend that time on activities that add value to this country eg implementing left or right wing policies depending upon the democratically elected UK government of the day.

Surely it is therefore misguided to agree with Mr C's opinion in this instance?

• Buy a house because demand (too many people) exceeds supply and the prices are hugely inflated
  • etc etc etc

.....can they get their teeth into this too or do they have to be closet racists?

This country does not have the infrastructure to support the current population so how the hell is it going to cope with more than a steady, controlled net increase in population?

While we're at it, what about answers to questions from others about corruption, accountability, refusal to be audited etc? Currently 0/10 and see me after class for that lot.

If we were not in the EU we would not have to waste our time improving or blocking lunatic legislation. We, and Mr C in particular, could spend that time on activities that add value to this country eg implementing left or right wing policies depending upon the democratically elected UK government of the day.

Surely it is therefore misguided to agree with Mr C's opinion in this instance?

I'm beginning to think that recent vote of yours for UKIP wasn't really "a protest vote" at all.:winking:

Here's a thought for you.

You could actually choose to see the recent increase in net immigration from other EU countries as a sign of the success of the UK's economy,vis à vis the sluggish growth in Euroland.And welcome it as such.

You could actually choose to see the recent increase in net immigration from other EU countries as a sign of the success of the UK's economy,vis à vis the sluggish growth in Euroland.And welcome it as such.

Or you could conclude that our comparatively generous National Minimum Wage (or "Living Wage") and cradle to grave benefits system is incompatible with the EU's porous borders and freedom of movement.

I'm beginning to think that recent vote of yours for UKIP wasn't really "a protest vote" at all.:winking:

You are correct Phil, definitely not all a protest vote.
Immigration is "the elephant" that too many won't talk about because of the too often immediate race insult response.
The figures of growth to sheer population numbers in the UK is to very many people very very worrying.
With our "own grown" plus migration the UK the population may grow by between 5 to 10 MILLION by 2025.
Houses, schools, NHS, social systems, roads;- in short everything will struggle to cope anywhere near adequately with those numbers AND when the next big slump hits the UK/EU/World the social unrest could be very unpleasant AND very right wing so the right approach now and in the near future is a proper, fitting and necessary policy -

or you can pretend it isn't, stick pencils in your nose, pants on your head etc.:'(

Are you saying that the Conservative run economy is a success?

• etc etc etc

Luckily for Barna, he doesn't reside in the UK, and hasn't for many years, so doesn't have to deal with these types of problems. And to add to that, as I've said to Barna in the past, I'm intrigued how someone who is almost completely detached from the UK, can have such an expert opinion, on how WE (those actually living here), should live, and what we should accept as "normal life".

You are correct Phil, definitely not all a protest vote.
Immigration is "the elephant" that too many won't talk about because of the too often immediate race insult response.
The figures of growth to sheer population numbers in the UK is to very many people very very worrying.
With our "own grown" plus migration the UK the population may grow by between 5 to 10 MILLION by 2025.
Houses, schools, NHS, social systems, roads;- in short everything will struggle to cope anywhere near adequately with those numbers AND when the next big slump hits the UK/EU/World the social unrest could be very unpleasant AND very right wing so the right approach now and in the near future is a proper, fitting and necessary policy -

or you can pretend it isn't, stick pencils in your nose, pants on your head etc.:'(

I would agree, (FWIW), that a sensible debate needs to be had about immigration.

Don't think the referendum campaign is the ideal context for it though,unfortunately.

Luckily for Barna, he doesn't reside in the UK, and hasn't for many years, so doesn't have to deal with these types of problems. And to add to that, as I've said to Barna in the past, I'm intrigued how someone who is almost completely detached from the UK, can have such an expert opinion, on how WE (those actually living here), should live, and what we should accept as "normal life".

You might be interested to learn that Barcelona too has its problems:-

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/26/ada-colau-barcelona-most-radical-mayor-in-the-world

Not connected with immigration, (these days), but with the mass tourism generated after the 92 Olympics success.

You might be interested to learn that Barcelona too has its problems:-

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/26/ada-colau-barcelona-most-radical-mayor-in-the-world

Not connected with immigration, (these days), but with the mass tourism generated after the 92 Olympics success.

Cool story bro, but in fairness we're not talking about a Barcelona referendum :)

Also, I don't have a problem with immigration. This referendum isn't about whether you (dis)agree with immigration. What I'd like, and I dare say many others, is the ability to be able to refuse those we don't deem suitable, for joining our society. Controlling our borders & immigration in general are too different things. It's a key factor that many have missed IMHO. If we do Brexit, then immigration will still happen. Only difference is, we can control WHO comes in. Which again, IMHO, should be THE key factor in voting.

Back