• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The EU Referendum

How are you voting?

• Leave

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • Remain

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wish the out campaign would make better use of Labour MP Gisela Stuart. Heard her on the radio the other day. Much more of a balanced debate and had some honest proper answers for once. People might actually listen to people like her rather than the horse s*** being spouted about by so called senior politicians.

She's one of fewer than 8 (I believe) Labour PLP "rebels" against Labour's official remain stance.

With her German background you'd have thought she would know better.

Who cares? This isn't about who's on what side, it's not about party politics, it's about the future of this country and it's up to the people to decide. This is an issue that transcends party divides. I think George Galloway is a moron but that doesn't mean I'm going to vote to stay in.

And anyway, Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell are about as convincing as a Hollyoaks actor when they come out in support of the EU. And the left's hero Tony Benn was a staunch opponent of the EU, so don't pretend the left is united on this. Most trendy metropolitan Guardian-reading types are yes, but true principled left-wingers should be voting to leave.

She's one of fewer than 8 (I believe) Labour PLP "rebels" against Labour's official remain stance.

Help me out on this.

The referendum is basically about whether or not the UK should govern itself or should delegate government to Brussels.

Governing ourselves does not preclude a Socislist government nor a fascist set up nor any shades in between - that will be up to the British people.

So how the hell does being a NO mean right wing and being a YES mean left wing.

I genuinely do not understand and want to know who does and a brief explanation of the logic please.

Many thanks.

On the contrary, it means she's well placed to understand that British people don't take kindly to being dictated to by a super state that's based overseas and crammed full of people they didn't vote for.

Although I know very little about politics, the idea of Britain having ultimately absolute control on rules, regulations, legislation, etc does appeal to me.

Of course because no country has ever left the EU there isn't any real way to judge what the long term effects would be.

But like I said, I know sod all about politics and there may be very valid reasons unknown to me why leaving would be a bad thing.

Paxman did an hour show last night. He tried to argue both sides BUT Mrs G and I thought he was more a "Leave" person than a stay.
For me there are a few issues never answered.
1. Budget/accounts have never been audited to the end; sure sign of HUGE corruption.
2. Too many and too random EU dictates/laws.
3. No supporting evidence given for the "stronger together" argument; surely there must be 1 example of how EU power has garnered a positive result that single nation wouldn't?
4. An example of how EU has helped UK? (other than cheap cheap migrant labour).

Paxman did an hour show last night. He tried to argue both sides BUT Mrs G and I thought he was more a "Leave" person than a stay.
1. Budget/accounts have never been audited to the end; sure sign of HUGE corruption.
3. No supporting evidence given for the "stronger together" argument; surely there must be 1 example of how EU power has garnered a positive result that single nation wouldn't?

Having seen the programme too,I agree with your (and Mrs G's ) opinon about Paxman.

That's certainly what cam across in his book The English a few years back too.

Help me out on this.

The referendum is basically about whether or not the UK should govern itself or should delegate government to Brussels.

Governing ourselves does not preclude a Socislist government nor a fascist set up nor any shades in between - that will be up to the British people.

So how the hell does being a NO mean right wing and being a YES mean left wing.

I genuinely do not understand and want to know who does and a brief explanation of the logic please.

Many thanks.

We've been through the arguments before on a f2f basis.

I honestly don't think anything I, (or anyone else), could say would convince you to vote remain, so I'm not going to waste my time trying.

Suffice it to say, though we both voted No in 1975 (for very different reasons), I've changed my mind and political thinking since then, as a result of the direct personal experience of living in France and Spain.

I don't think you have.

I just hope that you and your fellow leave voters will put up, (and shut up), when the vote goes against you on June 23rd.

So is turnout, which will be a huge and probably the deciding factor on the day.

Let's hope for a warm sunny day - the weather shouldn't be a bar to people turning out, but often is. Whatever the outcome, I sincerely hope there is a huge turnout for this very important decision.

(Plus I've got tickets to a cricket match that evening!)

That's also they way it came over to me...

I would expect this to be in favour of a leave, mainly because Southend is one of the most Eurosceptic regions in the UK. Assuming most people on here (that vote in this poll) live in Southend, and most of those people follow the rest of the Southend population, this should show a leave bias.

I would expect this to be in favour of a leave, mainly because Southend is one of the most Eurosceptic regions in the UK. Assuming most people on here (that vote in this poll) live in Southend, and most of those people follow the rest of the Southend population, this should show a leave bias.

Kent is even more Eurosceptic. I am myself undecided but if Barna's saying remain...

Back