• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The EU Referendum

How are you voting?

• Leave

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • Remain

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If the value of the pound falls as a result of Brexit (and it has weakened by some 10% recently due to the referendum uncertainty) and is widely predicted to fall further if the UK exits the EU, then obviously the costs of flights etc to the UK would be cheaper for anyone in mainland Europe.

BTW,I did pass my "A" level economics.Thanks.:smile:

If those predictions of the pound falling are correct, wouldn't that that be a positive for our exporters, and also overseas investors to the UK?

Flights all over the world have become cheaper, not just the EU. Southend to Geneva was one of the cheapest flights last winter.

I know, think the concept of what we see with Ryanair, Easy jet etc originally came from American business models...happy to be proved wrong though!

I know, think the concept of what we see with Ryanair, Easy jet etc originally came from American business models...happy to be proved wrong though!

Yeah, US were the first:

From wikipedia:

The world’s first low-cost airline was Pacific Southwest Airlines, which started intrastate flights connecting Southern and Northern California on 6 May 1949. PSA's light-hearted atmosphere and efficient operations were a runaway success early on, and inspired a number of low-cost start-ups across the United States, beginning in the mid-60s. Herb Kelleher studied the success of PSA, and copied their culture closely when he established Southwest Airlines....The first airline to offer cheaper transatlantic fares was Icelandic airline Loftleiðir in 1964, often referred to as "the Hippie Airline"

Again, that is speculation. However, what isn't speculation is that roaming charges for mobile phones will increase. So if we leave be sure to leave your phone at home.

I'd happily pay 10p extra (or use WhatsApp...) for a text message abroad if it meant regaining control of our country.

If it's the same report that I read the conclusion was that whilst over time immigrants contribute, the down side is that you have to invest in infrastructure in the first place to accommodate them, ie more hospitals Schools, Roads etc.

In austerity expenditure on services has gone out of the window, as I have already said they are under funded, plus if you don't know where migrants will settle and in what numbers how do you decide where and what to invest?

On the one hand the EU supports free movement, but I don't see it doing much to support our infrastructure.

I don't know if it was the same report...

With all political parties budgets aren't set on what can and can't be afforded, they're set on what the party think they can get away with politically. If this government wanted to invest in the future of this country they could do, it's just they've chosen not to because they were voted in saying they wouldn't. I personally don't want to use their failure/political ideology to justify not investing in the future.

Yeah, US were the first:

From wikipedia:

The world’s first low-cost airline was Pacific Southwest Airlines, which started intrastate flights connecting Southern and Northern California on 6 May 1949. PSA's light-hearted atmosphere and efficient operations were a runaway success early on, and inspired a number of low-cost start-ups across the United States, beginning in the mid-60s. Herb Kelleher studied the success of PSA, and copied their culture closely when he established Southwest Airlines....The first airline to offer cheaper transatlantic fares was Icelandic airline Loftleiðir in 1964, often referred to as "the Hippie Airline"

So where does Freddie Laker fit in?

I don't know if it was the same report...

With all political parties budgets aren't set on what can and can't be afforded, they're set on what the party think they can get away with politically. If this government wanted to invest in the future of this country they could do, it's just they've chosen not to because they were voted in saying they wouldn't. I personally don't want to use their failure/political ideology to justify not investing in the future.

The question still remains, regardless of political ideology how and where do you invest when you can't say for how many or where.
Austerity compounds the issue further.

I'd happily pay 10p extra (or use WhatsApp...) for a text message abroad if it meant regaining control of our country.

We're not talking about 10p, and some people use their phones for work and can't do everything by whatsapp. We're talking about an extra £1.50 a minute (if memory serves, and assuming the companies go back to what they were charging before the EU scrapped roaming charges, and even copy what they charge for non-EU countries).

However, your point that you'd be happy with that is fair. After all, it's your choice...personally I was happy when the charges were scrapped because they were completely unnecessary and just a way to fleece the customer.

The question still remains, regardless of political ideology how and where do you invest when you can't say for how many or where.
Austerity compounds the issue further.

Depends how accurate you want to be. You can be pretty sure, and if you over do it then even better: this country might actually have a bit of slack that it so badly needs.

Depends how accurate you want to be. You can be pretty sure, and if you over do it then even better: this country might actually have a bit of slack that it so badly needs.

I think there's a need to be fairly accurate...wouldn't you agree?

If those predictions of the pound falling are correct, wouldn't that that be a positive for our exporters, and also overseas investors to the UK?

That's correct (at least for the first point).It would also depend on what protective tarrif barriers were put in place in the event of Brexit though.

Don't worry, Spain's not all that!

Shhhh don't tell Barna!

Ha! I'd sooner live in SC than Southend/London thanks.:smile:

That's correct (at least for the first point).It would also depend on what protective tarrif barriers were put in place in the event of Brexit though.

Ha! I'd sooner live in SC than Southend/London thanks.:smile:

You need to look at post 887

Back