• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That is ridiculous. in my opinion.

He was here 1 season and we got promoted to the championship.
He played a big part in that.

I agree. he was great for southend united and certainly played his part in helping us win the title

I think the thing with Goater was that expectations were high on him and what he could do on the ball.

I remember watching a lot of matches that season from the South Upper and from there you could see his value off the ball.

His threat, presence and movement often went un-noticed, but time and time again he would make intelligent runs or pull away from a centre half to create space for Freddy.

Didn't have a great scoring record for us, but was invaluable in other ways.

I dont think anyone else thought he was brilliant though. He was cheap, understood the game and allowed other luxury players to flourish.

Yes, other players from other teams.

I wonder if he still wakes up in the night sweating over that LDV final at Cardiff against Blackpool?!

Kevin Maher. Apparently if you didn't rate him you didn't know football, which meant that every one of the managers of 68 clubs above us for the bulk of his time here didn't know football.

I liked Goater but he got his fair share of stick on here at the time and I don't recall many people suggesting that he was wrong to announce his retirement.

Maher was fantastic. The heartbeat of a double promotion, Man Utd. conquering team. I would say he was actually underrated. He was also one of our best players in the Championship.

Ryan Leonard.

Good player, but my god, some people on here talk about him like he's the second coming. Some games people will mark him as their man of the match and I'll be scratching my head, wondering if I was watching the same game. Young, with a lot of potential to be great, but at the moment he's not in the same class as other midfielders we've had over the years in my opinion.

Ryan Leonard.

Good player, but my god, some people on here talk about him like he's the second coming. Some games people will mark him as their man of the match and I'll be scratching my head, wondering if I was watching the same game. Young, with a lot of potential to be great, but at the moment he's not in the same class as other midfielders we've had over the years in my opinion.

Personally think Leonard is a great player but should be playign further up the pitch a la Kane Ferdinand. Has a good shot n him and a good header of the ball. Would be interesting to see him perhaps play off Barnett and Hunt.

Personally think Leonard is a great player but should be playign further up the pitch a la Kane Ferdinand. Has a good shot n him and a good header of the ball. Would be interesting to see him perhaps play off Barnett and Hunt.

I think Leonard is too good at covering players who are out of position and making last ditch tackles to be played further forward. his athleticism and pace are so important for us.

He was also one of our best players in the Championship.

His lack of mobility saw us constantly over-run in midfield and lack of versatility meant that Peter Clarke and Lewis Hunt both had to play attacking midfield for a part of the season in which we didn't win for 17 league games. He's a huge reason why we got relegated that season.

But hey he scored twice against QPR.

My nominations for the Jack Payne award are :

Jimmy Corbett
Paul Roberts
Gary Poole
JCR
Franck Moussa
Cian Bolger
Peter Clarke
Junior Stanislas

Three that spring to mind for me:

Dave Martin (the original one from the 80's/90's)
Frank Moussa - wouldn't say he was rubbish but massively overrated in my opinion
Adam Barrett - Am I allowed to say that?! Love the man for his SUFC passion but I think he's always been an average player based purely on ability

Back