• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That is a mute point, if we have very little possession and no route forward to get the ball clear and get forward where does the problem start or finish? I don't think our backs are very poor, nor our midfield BUT they aren't working together NOR with the forwards. Phil said they were playing like individuals and that seems to fit. I'd like to see who is hoofing the ball away (giving possession) and who is either looking to make and receive passes. (preferably forward and not to the side or back to Dan).
My point was that I have more faith in Phil to deal with defensive problems.

You say hoofing the ball away is our problem, but today not hoofing it away was our problem (and Swindon's for the first 20 minutes) there were far too many times today when we could have just hoofed it and cleared the danger but messed around with it around our own area. Both of their first half goals wouldn't have happened if we'd have just hoofed it up the pitch, like we had a few opportunties to do before they scored.

We should worry.

Barrow were 3-1 up at home going into injury time and lost 4-3 ! :omg:

On the way back and still numb. We started fantastic and were attacking at will. We could have been 4 up , but I was more than happy with 2. All of a sudden we began to lose our shape. Deegan the main culprit, letting the ball go past him too easily. Their widemen were also getting far too much space and this where both the swindon goals in the first half came from. Crosses came in far too easily. Good save from Bentley for the first, could do nothing about the rebound, the second was just plain awful. .The second half was just embarrassing. Midfield non existent. Prosser spent most of his time backing off, Thompson the opposite, charging at every ball And missing it. The third goal was ridiculous. Prosser seemed to back away from the half way line. The fourth was set up by some dreadful play by the bemusing sub Atkinson, who even failed when he tried to bring him down. So many players not fully fit. Leonard ,Hunt and Coker especially who had another really poor game. The whole squad look tired and bereft of confidence and I'm lost as to how we are going to solve it.

Essex Cricket Club have kindly offered us the use of their scoreboard so that we can keep count of the goals being conceded.

My point was that I have more faith in Phil to deal with defensive problems.

You say hoofing the ball away is our problem, but today not hoofing it away was our problem (and Swindon's for the first 20 minutes) there were far too many times today when we could have just hoofed it and cleared the danger but messed around with it around our own area. Both of their first half goals wouldn't have happened if we'd have just hoofed it up the pitch, like we had a few opportunties to do before they scored.

Fair reply; if the messing about is side and back passes then we are in agreement; was that due to no movement/showing to receive the ball by midfielders? When we play well everyone is involved, closing down, running to make/find space. I saw players being "statues" a few games ago and remarked on that. The defenders aren't bad ( repeat) it is a team issue AND Phil has to take part of the blame for his set up, coaching AND subs.

League 1 is obviously a step too far for a few of our players eg Prosser. Big fan of the guy, for someone who was signed as back-up when Sturrock came in and bought a million free transfers in, he was at a stretch a good conference defender back then, he's now come on leaps and bounds and would do a job for any mid-table league 2 side but there's no way he should be starting in league 1. Why has Bolger fallen so out of favour recently...is he injured?

Prosser was originally first choice pairing alongside Mark Phillips under Sturrock, until he had a mare against his old side, Port Vale. Since then, he has worked hard to regain the confidence of team mates and supporters alike, and put his body (head in particular) on the line many times.

I don't know why Brown stuck so rigidly to Barrett, he should have given Prosser a few games when Adam looked weary. As for Bolger, he had an injury and hasn't been able to get back into the team. Thompson has come in and done well...BUT, we have leaked goals. For me, it's quite simple, Bolger and Barrett have to come back into the central area.

I didn't go today but Charlie Nicholas, on Sky was reporting live on our match, he said Swindon's defence was useless and we deserved to be winning. I have said many times that I do not like Leonard, Deegan and Timlin playing together, it congests the midfield too much. And I fail, yet again, to understand why Atkinson so rarely finds himself out of the team or an unused sub. Surely today, Payne was the obvious choice?

Something is badly wrong, I don't know if it's transfer talk or not, but we need to get it sorted. And quick.

I watched my first match at Roots Hall on 2 November 1957 when we beat Shrewsbury 5 - 1 and I've been watching from the East Stand for a long time now. I therefore don't get over excited when we do well or too upset when we don't do well. We've lost more than 3 matches in a row before but I cannot remember us shipping so many goals in so few matches. It's not nice but not the end of the world.

We're 8th and if someone had told me that at the start of the season I would have accepted that.

We do not need to panic or have knee jerk reactions. This season we just need to stay in Div 1, get used to it, and over time the lesser gifted players will go and PB will get better players in. It cannot ge done in a matter of months.

Players all still in changing room according to Chris Phillips from Echo. Nearly 2 hours...

Agree with many on here that Bolger and Barratt are our best central defensive pairing although Adam is struggling lately. Have never been impressed with Prosser or Thompson, they give 100% but never look really comfortable or solid especially in thisdivision. We need at least one new centre back, shame we didn't get to sign John Egan who is far superior to what we have now.

Just watched the tv clip. Who was "marking" the player for goal 2, who was back shuffling with no challenge for goal 3?
Cokes and Atko don't "shine" in the few minutes of clips either.

We need at least one new centre back, shame we didn't get to sign John Egan who is far superior to what we have now.

Egan was always the better one of the two we had on loan, Sokolik was fortunate to be paired with him as he's been found out a bit since.

While you and RHB are fair in what you're saying, let's not forget that this is a forum and our season has imploded in the last 3 games. People want to rant and rave and this is the place for it.

I'm under no illusions that my post would have any effect whatsoever, but a bit like ranting, I felt the need to post it.

Last edited:
Back