• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I watched my first match at Roots Hall on 2 November 1957 when we beat Shrewsbury 5 - 1 and I've been watching from the East Stand for a long time now. I therefore don't get over excited when we do well or too upset when we don't do well. We've lost more than 3 matches in a row before but I cannot remember us shipping so many goals in so few matches. It's not nice but not the end of the world.

We're 8th and if someone had told me that at the start of the season I would have accepted that.

We do not need to panic or have knee jerk reactions. This season we just need to stay in Div 1, get used to it, and over time the lesser gifted players will go and PB will get better players in. It cannot ge done in a matter of months.

At last a sensible reaction

Just got back to Hockley from that emotional rollercoaster! First 30 minutes played well then we implode and Brown's substitutions make matters worse.
Chasing game 2-3 down and Aktinson brought on. We needed a goal not a sideways or backwards pass!
Next week on the train, so at least the beer will numb the pain!! :thumbsup:

Hard to pick out a single player that had a good game today - I thought they were all well below par. Swindon gifted us 2 goals. We returned the favour by shipping 4.

What concerns me is the 11 in 3 statistic. Under Phil Brown, whatever criticisms you can make, we do not usually ship goals - we're tight, well organised, hard working, and I don't ever turn up at an away game worried about us taking a beating. Something seems to have changed and today, defensively, we were getting ourselves into situations we never usually end up in - the ball spent too much time bouncing around in out 6 yard box. Yes we can change personnel next week and although I'm not a Barratt worshipper I think him and Bolger are the way to go - but I still don't understand why we're shipping goals now whereas we havent for the last 3 years. My target next week would be a clean sheet - however boring it is.

What is clear is that some of our fans will turn on the team after 3 defeats irrespective of what's gone on in the months and years previously. Hurst, Atkinson and Brown were all on the receiving end of audible personal abuse today. It may be frustrating, and it may be concerning, but it's not as bad as it was in the late 90s and early 00s - get it in perspective guys.

So brown keeps the players back in the changing room again for another clear the air, air your views session. Went well last time Phil. Bit fed up of hearing the same crap coming from his mouth. Yes of course the players carry some of the blame, but he is the manager and it's his responsibility to sort this mess out. We are 8th which is still good, but looking at the fixtures coming up we will be nearer the bottom than the top if this form continues. Next two games on paper are horrendous, we will get spanked if he can't sort this out. As for today, we were gifted two goals, and then fell apart once they scored their first. As for bringing on Atkinson when we were losing and needing a goal is almost sackable in its own right...

I watched my first match at Roots Hall on 2 November 1957 when we beat Shrewsbury 5 - 1 and I've been watching from the East Stand for a long time now. I therefore don't get over excited when we do well or too upset when we don't do well. We've lost more than 3 matches in a row before but I cannot remember us shipping so many goals in so few matches. It's not nice but not the end of the world.

We're 8th and if someone had told me that at the start of the season I would have accepted that.

We do not need to panic or have knee jerk reactions. This season we just need to stay in Div 1, get used to it, and over time the lesser gifted players will go and PB will get better players in. It cannot ge done in a matter of months.

Agreed, but we may find that next week and successive weeks/months we are still saying:

'we are still 9th......11th...... mid table.....still above Colchester.....not in the Relegation zone.....etc

Atkinson on as third sub when we needed to score just can't understand that one.

PB quote: "If I put Jack on it would’ve opened up even more but I understand the fans’ frustrations with him not coming on."

So he knows Payne would have been a more creative option but chose not to bring him on. Well, that clears that up...doesn't it?

I've been back a while now only took 30 mins as this is a local game for me. I've been pondering on things and let myself calm down. Well you will be pleased to know that after 2 games in a row the jinx (me) won't be at the next game so hopefully things will look up.

My first trip to The County Ground and it's not a bad stadium two nice rather large stands and the two goal mouth stands are terrible. The ground filled up nicely especially the away end and a cracking turn out, the fans were in good voice until we went to rat **** and fell apart on the pitch.

We started off playing some of the best football I've seen in a while, Swindon looked really poor and it looked like we would score more than 2 because they just didn't hit the ground running in the first 40 minutes. Now to the absolute ****ing idiots who started chanting 'easy' when we scored the second goal. It was 13 minutes into the first half and we are Southend United we've done it so many times taken a 2-0 lead early and well and truly ****ed it up. So please lay off the stupid 'easy' chant because you look a **** when inevitably we lose that lead.

After the 40 minutes we just couldn't get back into it Swindon had woken up and actually turned up to the game and that's when the team decided to forget how to defend and generally play football.

Ratings:

Bentley - 5 - He did make some good saves and was unlucky with their second as he made a good first save but because of the dire defending not a lot he could do about the second attempt.

Coker - 4 - Good set piece for our 2nd but a pretty lacklustre performance from him not the usual I expect from Coker.

Thompson - 4 - Well taken header and was definitely the better of the two centre backs although came unstuck a couple of times Obika and Ajose had both his a Prosser's pants down most the game.

Prosser - 3 - Rubbish, it was like the performances he used to put in when we first got him, looked out of his depth and clueless. How he got picked over Bolger is beyond me.

O'Neill - 3 - Looked good for about 30 minutes then went to pot which is a shame because I thought he would use this to give White a kick up the arse.

Timlin - 6 - One of the better players on the pitch which is why I couldn't understand why he was taken off, maybe because of only coming back from injury. Hard working as always and some great tackles in the middle of the park.

Deegan - 5 - Everyone knows I'm not his biggest fan but he actually had not a bad game stayed back and prevented a Swindon from catching us on the counter. Some good passing and a nice shot that I really hoped went in for him. The one and only reason I dropped him from 6 to a 5 is another yellow and it was for a stupid foul. Ref's obviously know about him and he should just stop these stupid bookings when he gets booked Brown has to think about taking him off to prevent another silly tackle. Just wear normal shorts and shave the beard that might get the ref's off your back too!

Leonard - 4 - Not brilliant, didn't really do much to stand out and those long throws are getting a bit boring and nothing seems to come of them. I notice he isn't taking all the throws like he used to though.

Worrall - 4 - Sometimes he can look brilliant and then other times he looks pants, was running around like a headless chicken to no avail his crossing was poor. Nice shot from distance though that was close but other than that he was pants.

Hunt - 5 - Looked alright, but when he wasn't getting the service how is he supposed to score.

Barnett - 7 - MOTM - Nice goal, was good to see him shoot and not look for a pass and worked his socks off all game. I hope this continues and isn't just to try and win the crowd over. He looked hungry and up for it, I really hope he does well because he looked decent today.

Subs:
Hurst - 2 - Don't know why he was brought on was absolutely useless, looked uninterested and like he couldn't be bothered.

Money - 2 - Crap, didn't do anything not even get caught offside.

Atkinson - 2 - Shocking, both his performance and The fact that Brown subbed him on.

Referee - 2 - Worst referee I have seen in a good while, didn't want to give anything to us and not really quite sure why Thompson got booked late on. Probably because of complaining about another poor decision he made, how this guy is doing it professionally is a joke!

0-4 L
0-3 L
4-2 L

This is new territory for me as a fan. I don't really like it, can someone make it stop?

You'll get used to it my friend - in the last 20 years, most of the football has been utter dross, interspersed with periods of well overdue elation (2004 - 2006, 2015)

I was at the match. For 20 minutes we were very good, running Swindon ragged. They were hopeless and we should have scored 4 within the first half hour. I couldn't help thinking that we might regret not scoring more than two when we were so dominant. The Swindon fans started booing their team. It all looked fine.

But then something strange happened, it was almost as if Swindon suddenly remembered how to play football. We sat back and seemed to be thinking we had won the match when they had a period of sustained pressure and scored. Immediately we seemed to lose our composure and were hanging on for half-time. They then scored in additional time and I had a very bad feeling about the second half. Torrential rain then fell and playing conditions became difficult. The third goal was a joke. Their player ran the length of the pitch without ever having the ball under real control before scoring. The fourth goal was a breakaway when we had been desperately and inexpertly seeking an equaliser. Rarely have I seen a team collapse from such a dominant position. The Swindon fans couldn't believe their eyes. Any positives from our point of view? Only one, Tyrone Barnett looks good - he must be wondering what he has let himself in for.

I was at the match. For 20 minutes we were very good, running Swindon ragged. They were hopeless and we should have scored 4 within the first half hour. I couldn't help thinking that we might regret not scoring more than two when we were so dominant. The Swindon fans started booing their team. It all looked fine.

But then something strange happened, it was almost as if Swindon suddenly remembered how to play football. We sat back and seemed to be thinking we had won the match when they had a period of sustained pressure and scored. Immediately we seemed to lose our composure and were hanging on for half-time. They then scored in additional time and I had a very bad feeling about the second half. Torrential rain then fell and playing conditions became difficult. The third goal was a joke. Their player ran the length of the pitch without ever having the ball under real control before scoring. The fourth goal was a breakaway when we had been desperately and inexpertly seeking an equaliser. Rarely have I seen a team collapse from such a dominant position. The Swindon fans couldn't believe their eyes. Any positives from our point of view? Only one, Tyrone Barnett looks good - he must be wondering what he has let himself in for.
edited edited

PB quote: "If I put Jack on it would’ve opened up even more but I understand the fans’ frustrations with him not coming on."

So he knows Payne would have been a more creative option but chose not to bring him on. Well, that clears that up...doesn't it?

I don't agree with the tactics but by 'open up even more' he means that with Jack on the pitch Swindon would have had even more chances to score, potentially making the scoreline worse (we were only 1 behind at that point).

Ah, the Dick Bate days! However sick I'm feeling this evening does not come close to after watching that 8-1 at ***** Gillingham.
Whilst today was shocking, Dick Bate and the free scoring Richard Young days were terrible in the 80s. We took some real beatings.

Come on everyone, I feel bad that we have been stuffed again, but maybe we should wait a bit until match reports come in from those that were there? Then if it's that bad go to town on it by all means. It's going to be a long week I think.
I was there and it was a farce. We all called for changes and we got them, 6 of them. Barnett scored a cracker after good team work and before long we were 2 up, but in almost constant rain and a side wind, Swindon forced us back with a series of quick forays forward, and our midfield suddenly chasing shadows.
Timlin was off the pace and Deegan got his usual yellow, with a referee appearing to favour the home side.
Everything was coming on to O'Neill and inevitably they pull one back. The leveller killed us and they trooped off at half time looking as fed up as us fans.
Worrall worked hard but the midfield didn't seem to know how to hold on to the ball.
Leonard was a waste of space today, and hate say it, probably not up to this standard of football.
Too easy to blame the defence, but the team has stopped defending as a team, both the 3rd and 4th goals for them were breaks when we were building an attack round their penalty box.
I agree with other, something has gone wrong in the background. Brown promised us a Brown team today and what we got was a team going 2 up and thinking it was an easy ride.
Apparently White was injured and I called for Barrett to be rested but we missed his organisation of the defence today.
Barnett stated well but he is no better than Mooney or Pigott with the way we play. There is no one holding the ball up or hitting the chanels. Brown plays a high tempo pressing game and has run the team into the ground.
So disappointing, and believe me Seindon deserved the win and should have scored more.
Where does Brown go from here?

I've been back a while now only took 30 mins as this is a local game for me. I've been pondering on things and let myself calm down. Well you will be pleased to know that after 2 games in a row the jinx (me) won't be at the next game so hopefully things will look up.

My first trip to The County Ground and it's not a bad stadium two nice rather large stands and the two goal mouth stands are terrible. The ground filled up nicely especially the away end and a cracking turn out, the fans were in good voice until we went to rat **** and fell apart on the pitch.

We started off playing some of the best football I've seen in a while, Swindon looked really poor and it looked like we would score more than 2 because they just didn't hit the ground running in the first 40 minutes. Now to the absolute ****ing idiots who started chanting 'easy' when we scored the second goal. It was 13 minutes into the first half and we are Southend United we've done it so many times taken a 2-0 lead early and well and truly ****ed it up. So please lay off the stupid 'easy' chant because you look a **** when inevitably we lose that lead.

After the 40 minutes we just couldn't get back into it Swindon had woken up and actually turned up to the game and that's when the team decided to forget how to defend and generally play football.

Ratings:

Bentley - 5 - He did make some good saves and was unlucky with their second as he made a good first save but because of the dire defending not a lot he could do about the second attempt.

Coker - 4 - Good set piece for our 2nd but a pretty lacklustre performance from him not the usual I expect from Coker.

Thompson - 4 - Well taken header and was definitely the better of the two centre backs although came unstuck a couple of times Obika and Ajose had both his a Prosser's pants down most the game.

Prosser - 3 - Rubbish, it was like the performances he used to put in when we first got him, looked out of his depth and clueless. How he got picked over Bolger is beyond me.

O'Neill - 3 - Looked good for about 30 minutes then went to pot which is a shame because I thought he would use this to give White a kick up the arse.

Timlin - 6 - One of the better players on the pitch which is why I couldn't understand why he was taken off, maybe because of only coming back from injury. Hard working as always and some great tackles in the middle of the park.

Deegan - 5 - Everyone knows I'm not his biggest fan but he actually had not a bad game stayed back and prevented a Swindon from catching us on the counter. Some good passing and a nice shot that I really hoped went in for him. The one and only reason I dropped him from 6 to a 5 is another yellow and it was for a stupid foul. Ref's obviously know about him and he should just stop these stupid bookings when he gets booked Brown has to think about taking him off to prevent another silly tackle. Just wear normal shorts and shave the beard that might get the ref's off your back too!

Leonard - 4 - Not brilliant, didn't really do much to stand out and those long throws are getting a bit boring and nothing seems to come of them. I notice he isn't taking all the throws like he used to though.

Worrall - 4 - Sometimes he can look brilliant and then other times he looks pants, was running around like a headless chicken to no avail his crossing was poor. Nice shot from distance though that was close but other than that he was pants.

Hunt - 5 - Looked alright, but when he wasn't getting the service how is he supposed to score.

Barnett - 7 - MOTM - Nice goal, was good to see him shoot and not look for a pass and worked his socks off all game. I hope this continues and isn't just to try and win the crowd over. He looked hungry and up for it, I really hope he does well because he looked decent today.

Subs:
Hurst - 2 - Don't know why he was brought on was absolutely useless, looked uninterested and like he couldn't be bothered.

Atkinson - 2 - Shocking, both his performance and The fact that Brown subbed him on.

Referee - 2 - Worst referee I have seen in a good while, didn't want to give anything to us and not really quite sure why Thompson got booked late on. Probably because of complaining about another poor decision he made, how this guy is doing it professionally is a joke!

Reading your match report makes me realise how bad we were today Ricey. You're usually one of the more positive posters on here, so for you to say how bad it was hits home.

Some are looking at the league table and pretending things are ok. They're not, never in my 25 years supporting Southend have we conceded so many goals in 3 games.

Something's gone badly wrong, personally I think our defensive players have been found out. New signings in defence are needed ASAP IMO. For those calling for Barrett to come back, we're you not there for the last 2 games? His legs are gone. Fresh blood is needed.

I have faith in Phil Brown's ability as a defensive coach, therefore I believe the players are to blame. I'm hoping for a shake up in defensive personnel over the transfer window.

Ratings:

Subs:

I agree with most of this, bit generous for Bentley and Timlin but not far off.
What did they find to talk about locked in the dressing room? Still need points to stay up and I'm not joking, that's how poor we were over the last 70 minutes.

I agree with most of this, bit generous for Bentley and Timlin but not far off.
What did they find to talk about locked in the dressing room? Still need points to stay up and I'm not joking, that's how poor we were over the last 70 minutes.

Was Bentley really that bad? I wasn't there but after the game while showing the goals on SSN Charlie Nicolas said he was his MOM.

Having seen the goals none looked Bentley's fault either, to blame him for the first goal is hugely unfair, he made a decent stop, just got unlucky with how it went straight to the striker.

Back