• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mrsblue

Banned
So we shipped another 4 making it 11 conceded in 3 games.

I think we have to admit some of our guys are possibly not up to the standard of league 1.

We can all blame this player or that player but the truth is these guys are not losing or making errors on purpose,they are footballers playing out of their comfort zone and currently are being found out.

Phil and his players need our support as never before,they don't need abuse from some of our so called fans,they need encouragement.

I am immensely proud we have collected those points early doors,the thought of league 2 is one nightmare none of us want.

15 further points and we are home and dry,so remained chilled,keep calm,after all we are Southend United.

Trouble is, the standard has been set. Yes, the original aim was to avoid relegation, but we should now be aiming much higher. The players have surpassed our expectations and that bar has now been set higher. We won't win every game, but to leak 11 goals in 3 games must set alarm bells ringing off in every fans head. Something fundamental is wrong at the back and it needs sorting now.We scored 2 yesterday and that really should have been enough to win us the game.

Trouble is, the standard has been set. Yes, the original aim was to avoid relegation, but we should now be aiming much higher. The players have surpassed our expectations and that bar has now been set higher. We won't win every game, but to leak 11 goals in 3 games must set alarm bells ringing off in every fans head. Something fundamental is wrong at the back and it needs sorting now.We scored 2 yesterday and that really should have been enough to win us the game.

Being fair,

The majority of games I have seen we alway's give the opposition chance after chance,now these league 1 forwards are making us pay,last season we were solid playing against league 2 dross,the step up this season is a bridge too far for some of them IMO .

Should we now be aiming much higher ? The target at the start of the season was to stay up. I don't see why it should change. This is a difficult division and some of our League Two players were always going to take time to adjust. We have exceeded our target so far, but this is the crucial part of the season where we have some tough fixtures, so I think we need to dig deep and graft out results. The last thing the players need is abuse from our supporters at this point. They need our support more now than ever to stop us spiralling down the table.

Should we now be aiming much higher ? The target at the start of the season was to stay up. I don't see why it should change. This is a difficult division and some of our League Two players were always going to take time to adjust. We have exceeded our target so far, but this is the crucial part of the season where we have some tough fixtures, so I think we need to dig deep and graft out results. The last thing the players need is abuse from our supporters at this point. They need our support more now than ever to stop us spiralling down the table.

Yes exactly. Why don't we start with Dan Bentley for some reason we have a group people who claim to be fans that get some sort of perverse pleasure from slagging off Dan. Take yesterday why look to blame when none existed.

By the way can some of our goalkeeping experts explain to me how he could have saved the second Millwall goal, because so far no one has been able to.

I totally understand some boos etc after blowing a 2-0 lead (the players wouldn't expect anything different), but some people go way over the top.

I remember after the Walsall and Swindon home games thinking that those kinds of games would be the norm, now a couple of similar results and everyone is in shock. I'd still be very happy with a midtable finish.

I agree. We have proved we can compete in this league, hence our league position. So we shouldn't stop pushing further. 11 goals in 3 games is unacceptable for any team. We must get back in form.

I have a lot of time for PB and I'm sure we wouldn't be where we are necessarily under another manager.

However, something that has always surprised me is that he never seems to be sure of his best side/formation and so on.

I know injuries play a part, but I've always thought keeping a settled system is a must.

Looking back over the years, the successful managers here have tended to stick to their philosophy.

I think it over-complicates things, worrying about the opposition and tinkering too much.

Last edited:
I think the last 3 games have been a huge reality check for us all, we were overachieving and there was no way we could maintain the position we were in and have to face the reality that a lower mid table is the best we could hope for.

Its a shame that with the last 3 defeats it's brought all the moaners out who are only happy when we are losing, some of the things I have read are laughable, there has even been a few moaners calling for Bentley to be dropped!!! But for Bentley we would likely to be level on points with the scum up the A127.

This is the time us fans can really make the difference time to make some real noise and get behind the team and drown out the moaners

I think the last 3 games have been a huge reality check for us all, we were overachieving and there was no way we could maintain the position we were in and have to face the reality that a lower mid table is the best we could hope for.

Its a shame that with the last 3 defeats it's brought all the moaners out who are only happy when we are losing, some of the things I have read are laughable, there has even been a few moaners calling for Bentley to be dropped!!! But for Bentley we would likely to be level on points with the scum up the A127.

This is the time us fans can really make the difference time to make some real noise and get behind the team and drown out the moaners

Good post !

Currently the bottom 6 are averaging 1 point or less per game,we are 12 points off the bottom 4 and with a vastly superior GD( yep I know at the current trend that can dwindle away)which is worth another point.

Now 52 points guarantees survival,but I think maybe 46/47/48 could be enough.

We IMO are punching above our weight and some fans have to realise this factor.

Mid table is fine with me....the lads will get form back eventually. If we can aim to just get 1 or 2 points from the next two games then that would be a great start to regaining form....against tough opposition though I could easily see us losing both...that would still not be a disaster as Peterbrough and coventry are very good outfits.

Nonsense. You don't 'overachieve'. When we were winning it was because we was playing well, and we have lost the last three games because we played bad. All this 'Reality check' is just a load of rubbish, if you play well you get results. If you play bad you don't get results. Simple.

One other thing, at the few games I have been to this season, the roots hall atmosphere has been pretty non existent. Are the fans getting behind the lads enough?

Nonsense. You don't 'overachieve'. When we were winning it was because we was playing well, and we have lost the last three games because we played bad. All this 'Reality check' is just a load of rubbish, if you play well you get results. If you play bad you don't get results. Simple.

I agree...The majority of the squad have been playing at the top level of league 2 for the last few seasons. Okay they didn't quite make promotion until last season, but the majority of the squad are very capable at this level. There are a few players whom I might argue are league 2 players, but even they have come in and done a good job so far and have been proving me wrong.

We are just on bad form.

I often agree with you but not on this one,the team have IMO had the life drawn out of them at this level,they look as though they are wearing concrete boots,they have played above their own level but now tiredness and fatigue is kicking in.

What a load of rubbish!! Do u forget about how we were playing before the millwall game and the 8 unbeaten? How can most of the people on here say we are not upto league 1 standard! U wasnt saying that before the millwall game and when we were beeting bury 4-1 on a friday night! Ok we have been poor the last three games but all teams have blips and this is ours! We have a strong squad and all of pb players have proven they can play at league 1 level.I have only really seen a few teams better then us this season and they were walsall who I think are the best team iin the division, millwall who look strong and organised but seem to only play well against southend and doncaster were decent! We havent been beaten away from home by any of the so called bigger clubs which shows we can compete! Peterborough next up and do u remember how well we played against them? Id put barret back in with bolger at the back and start our best player jack payne just behind barnett and hunt.were in 8th position and 3 points away from playoffs so im not at all worried about consolidation and will hope the blue boys can get over this blip and carry on where we left off before the millwall game!,

I often agree with you but not on this one,the team have IMO had the life drawn out of them at this level,they look as though they are wearing concrete boots,they have played above their own level but now tiredness and fatigue is kicking in.

We won 4-1 previous to the last three games, so it wasn't as if we was battling to 1-0 wins and looking out of our depth.
The lads have looked a little tired, but that doesn't mean they aren't league 1 standard.

When in league 2 we often took off at the start of the season and went through a bad patch later on in the season....Were they not league 2 standard then? Were the players conference standard? No they were not. Get a grip.

We had one bad game, the players started to look a bit tired (let's not forget the busy fixture period). Brown tried to make changes but they haven't worked.

Back