• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He's like a petulant child. Get over it and yourself Brown. At the end of the day it didn't cost us so what is that achieving. Get a grip!

It was more to do with the Lino waving the Flag to the Ref. I couldn't quite get it, but PB said the Lino broke the rules in the way he did it, and then talked the Ref into the penalty. He was angry because the players worked their proverbials off for 96 Minutes and could have been undone by a penalty that wasn't, and a Lino breaking the rules to get the penalty awarded.

PB said on the radio the lino put his flag across his chest to indicate a penalty. It's my understanding that that is no longer the Laws of the Game (it used to put the ref in a difficult situation as all players think it's a pen, before he's had chance to discuss it with the lino). I understand that if they think the ref hasn't seen the offence, they should now flag as normal..then if committed outside the box, move towards the edge of the area...or if inside the box, move towards the corner flag. It is supposed to be more of a suggestion, rather than standing there with flag across your chest dictating the decision

Disappointed not to see this game but well done to the lads for getting what is a good result against one of the better sides in this league. Hoping to see a few more reports other than the penalty debacle as, even with listening in on the radio, I was at a loss as to how the formation panned out and who shone. Sounded like an all round effort.

PB has stopped the rot and for that he deserves full praise. His ultra-defensive approach today has achieved what no other league side has achieved at Peterborough this season..........stopping them from scoring. PB should avoid criticism this week, yet his next judgement comes next Saturday. We surely will need to be rather more adventurous at home..........a similar set up against Coventry and a point, probably won't gain the plaudits of today's performance.

I know we was up the other end and I am intoxicated, but there was no way that was a pen! We could see him win the ball from where we was standing!

Other than that a good performance! Not many sides will keep clean sheets away to Peterborough! Bring on coventry

My first Southend game for quite some time and we were very impressive and made free scoring posh look very average. A draw was probably the right result but thought we edged it (as agreed by a couple of posh supporting friends). The priority today was to keep a clean sheet and the whole team chased and harried whenever the opposition were in possession. Special mention for Deegan on that front. Bentley made a great save early in the second half as posh came out from HT an almost different team. Barnett held the ball up well at times and Payne was our most creative outlet.

a special mention to all the travelling fans who had a longer journey than me today. Great support and non stop singing til the very end. While I'm not one for singing and chanting it was great to see the passion some supporters had even after the last 3 results.

COYB

Surely he was calling the player a cheat and not the Lino!

I just listened to the interview online and he was definitely referring to the assistant referee.

I would have thought he will be hearing from the FA in the next couple of days!

That is really a bit silly - the lino might be inept or useless but why would he cheat unless there was some benefit!

That is really a bit silly - the lino might be inept or useless but why would he cheat unless there was some benefit!

I think he was trying to say that the assistant had not followed the rules as he understood that they were not allowed to flag for penalties any more by putting the flag across their chest. He said that by the assistant doing this, the referee had little option but to give it. If he had just left it at that, he may have been okay!

Yep, tad emotional and revealing the pressure ;

Brown said: "If that penalty had gone in, it would have been a disgrace. If the linesman who gave it can sleep tonight, he is a better man than me.
"The referee was backed into an uncompromising position he can't do anything about and has to give the penalty.
"Could he have overturned it? If he had done the linesman might get struck off and I wouldn't say that was a bad thing.
"I'm not sure that the officials actually know what goes into a week when you have been beaten 4-2 in your previous game after being 2-0 up.
"This has been one of the longest weeks of my life and that decision could have made it longer.

Yep, tad emotional and revealing the pressure ;

Brown said: "If that penalty had gone in, it would have been a disgrace. If the linesman who gave it can sleep tonight, he is a better man than me.
"The referee was backed into an uncompromising position he can't do anything about and has to give the penalty.
"Could he have overturned it? If he had done the linesman might get struck off and I wouldn't say that was a bad thing.
"I'm not sure that the officials actually know what goes into a week when you have been beaten 4-2 in your previous game after being 2-0 up.
"This has been one of the longest weeks of my life and that decision could have made it longer.

When I read or hear stuff like that from Phil then I warm to him and his ways.

Phil Brown is on the radio now, absolutely furious with the Lino. He said the ref had a great game he said, but the Lino backed him into a corner by waving the flag and talking him into awarding the penalty. He's had it out with the Lino, and he's going back in to talk to him

again. Unfortunately, PB could be in trouble for basically calling the Lino a cheat.[/QUOT

How stupid is Phil Brown? Fancy making silly remarks about the assistant referee basically calling him a cheat. Does he really believe that qualified senior officials act as cheats? Pathetic coming from someone who comes across as being quite intelligent. He deserves to get fined. Spoils what was a good days work.

Agree to a point..however faith would be restored if the linesman was taken off the roster or demoted for a few games. Of course he's not a cheat but he gave a decision that that is otherwise almost (note I say almost) unfathomable. In the end his incompetence could (and yes as it turned out only could) have had a big impact on the team and confidence going into the next game.

The linesman was by all accounts (radio commentary, CP, many others ayr the game) utterly incompetent throughout and this decision was his crowning glory.

No point getting on Brown's back (I think there has been enough moaning let's take the positive out of the result and performance).

Three match report posts from a Peterborough message board. Overall, grudging praise for PB and the team. Daniel impressed and maybe Tyrone didn't?

'An 'orrible, 'orrible game. We were totally out-thought from the first 10 seconds by Southend and did not have enough 'grey matter' in our players to match them. We in the end got (0-0) which we hardly deserved. The penalty miss by Forrester was criminally pathetic. Very sad, very negative. Otzumer Man of the Match ?? surely a joke ?'

'A poor performance and yet one that could have ended in a victory but for a shocking penalty by Forester, who just rolled the ball to the keeper. Brown said they had a plan and it worked...we had no plan B. They gave us no space or time on the ball and nulified all our ball players. Their keeper had a blinder and was mom....Baldwin our best player for me. With teams both above and below us winning it wasn't a good day. ..and as I said earlier in the week, we face a fight for that final play off spot.NB. just for Stuie a quick few words on your hero Tyrone Barnett....He was pathetic mate and as Posh fans rightly sang to him as he was substituted....What a waste of money.'

'We were completely out thought and beaten by a superior game plan. Why, oh why, do we continue to follow a tactic of always trying to play the ball out from Alnwick. Somebody on the team/management must of realised in the first couple of minutes that doing this against a team pressing so high was a dangerous game. If we have any ambitions for playoffs we must be able to respond to the oppositions stance/game plan'.

As others have pointed out I can't see how the Lino followed the 'new' rules. He signalled the penalty and then straight away took up his penalty position on the goal line.
Maybe some of our resident refs on here can tell us if he followed the new rules.

Just seen the highlights and I'm not sure even the Lino knows what to do. He holds his flag horizontal above his head, that is the signal for a substitution I thought?

Just looked at the highlights. Look at where the lino is positioned- how could he possibly not see that 1. Thompson got the ball 2. it was a blatant swan dive. Truly shocking- also no way was the ref going to give it he does not react until the lino goes for his moment in the limelight. The ref had a clear view of it and so PB is 100% correct in his analysis post much.

Back