• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

united we stand

Life President⭐
All
I don't know how well known the below is , 'solidarity payments was mentioned in the Port vale thread. It mennt nothing to me so I quickly googled it and thought it might be of interest to offers. Full details are in the link but summary is below. I know The EPL is effectively giving away a very very small percentage of what it gets but its good to know that amount is increasing with their new deal -- however I also appreciate that there are proabably arguments that the amounts are still insulting.

Excluding parachute payments (and the numbers/% given here dont mathematically don't add up to me) the EPL is giving away 6.5% of the income (£90 million) from UK TV rights, Including worldwide rights would obvioulsy reduce the payments

Premier League Solidarity Payments to FL clubs: 2013/14-2015/16 v 2016/17-2018/19

Solidarity Payments to FL clubs, based on agreement with Football League (wtih no existing formula/mechanism) for 2013/14-2015/16
FL Championship clubs: £2.3million/season
FL League One clubs: £360,000/season
FL League Two clubs: £240,000/season

Illustration of Solidarity Payments to Football League clubs if new agreement (from 2016/17) were in place now. Based on a % of Year 3 Parachute Payments
FL Championship clubs: £3million/season
FL League One clubs: £450,000/season
FL League Two clubs: £300,000/season

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/...ease-football-league-solidarity-payments.html

Last edited:
Interesting, if we go up we'll be 2.5m better off before you even think about extra gate receipts and TV money. No wonder there is a gulf in quality, you could double our playing budget and still have a million spare i'd imagine.

Interesting information there. The word "solidarity" is a bit of a joke. The Premier League probably don't have any interest in the well being of clubs like us in the lower divisions.

It just shows you the gulf between Leagues 1 and 2 and the Championship and how important promotion to the Championship can be to football club like ours.

Interesting, if we go up we'll be 2.5m better off before you even think about extra gate receipts and TV money. No wonder there is a gulf in quality, you could double our playing budget and still have a million spare i'd imagine.

Only thing is players coming in would want 4 times the salary we pay at the moment. The real problem is when clubs drop out of the Championship and have to unload half their squad.

Only thing is players coming in would want 4 times the salary we pay at the moment. The real problem is when clubs drop out of the Championship and have to unload half their squad.

Very good point which probably happened to us.

The difference just between league 1 and 2 is big enough, plus add on the gate money we are getting over the last few weeks, compared to last season it's a big bonus, no wonder a lot of the money is going back into the team squad:unsure:

The difference just between league 1 and 2 is big enough, plus add on the gate money we are getting over the last few weeks, compared to last season it's a big bonus, no wonder a lot of the money is going back into the team squad:unsure:

Absolutely, just shows you how important it is to get into the championship AND STAY THERE.

They would indeed, which is where some financial prudence SHOULD come in. I'm sure we would have to up a few of our own players wages with new contracts and where possible clauses shoudl be put in to put them back down if we get relegated. 3 or 4 players in on lower championship wages on 1yr contracts or relegation release clauses if longer. Some players want more security than that and we could stretch to a couple having a 2 year contract and be able to afford them for one season back down in league one.

I'll never understand the opinion that promotion is a bad thing, or too soon for us. If we dont over extend ourselves then even if we go straight down we can be in a stronger financial position

They would indeed, which is where some financial prudence SHOULD come in. I'm sure we would have to up a few of our own players wages with new contracts and where possible clauses shoudl be put in to put them back down if we get relegated. 3 or 4 players in on lower championship wages on 1yr contracts or relegation release clauses if longer. Some players want more security than that and we could stretch to a couple having a 2 year contract and be able to afford them for one season back down in league one.

I'll never understand the opinion that promotion is a bad thing, or too soon for us. If we dont over extend ourselves then even if we go straight down we can be in a stronger financial position

I totally agree but I'm afraid Roots Hall isn't big enough to sustain Championship football, so it always goes back to the FF debate.

The last time we were in the Championship we would have had a few 15,000 gates if we were in a bigger stadium and the Man U game I'm sure we could have sold 3 times over. I've never understood some people saying Roots Hall is big enough for us because it simply isn't.

You can see how clubs relegated from the Championship to League One struggle to survive, let alone adhere to Financial Fair Play rules.

Utter joke.

[/B]I totally agree but I'm afraid Roots Hall isn't big enough to sustain Championship football, so it always goes back to the FF debate.

The last time we were in the Championship we would have had a few 15,000 gates if we were in a bigger stadium and the Man U game I'm sure we could have sold 3 times over. I've never understood some people saying Roots Hall is big enough for us because it simply isn't.

Yep, it would be very difficult to establish ourselves in the championship at Root Hall. Going up and down again should still be better for us than not going up at all though. If we do things right we will have a more competitive budget in line with some of the bigger sides in L1 rather than hope we overachieve on a midtable budget

Don't think that is possible. As with last time the club with the smallest budget in the championship ends up with some of the worst players.

Perhaps they should consider some sort of parachute payment for the cubs dropping into L1. For example £1m for just the first season would really help clubs like ours or Yeovil.

The bottom two teams in the championship for home league attendance are Brentford and Rotherham (10,370 and 9,686.) Two attendance's we can compete with and two clubs with contrasting success on the pitch. Both clubs have chairman that dip into their pocket, both clubs went in for new stadium's (Rotherham built and Brentford waiting like us) and both clubs still have aspirations that befit the catchment areas they represent. Anything is possible.

Don't think that is possible. As with last time the club with the smallest budget in the championship ends up with some of the worst players.

Perhaps they should consider some sort of parachute payment for the cubs dropping into L1. For example £1m for just the first season would really help clubs like ours or Yeovil.

we can 100% be in a better position financially if we went up and then came down. We don't HAVE to increase our expenditure (unless it is written in t some players contracts) but we WILL increase income. We may choose to pay for better players to give us more hope of staying up, but that is a choice, we dont have to do it. Theretically we could use all of the EPL money on player wages (assuming we ahve clasues written in should we be demoted) , and we would still be better off if releagated becasue of the League money and gate receipts. The only things we miss out on are the JPT and early rounds of the FA cup which admittedly could cost us revenue

Last edited:
Back