• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Very, very true.
Going further back in time. I was one of a handful at Tranmere Rovers on a Friday evening in the 80's. The guy over the tannoy congratulated the "16" Southend fans for their enthusiastic support.
Yeah remember that tannoy bloke on the pitch asking us to move together to look more like a crowd, sarcastic twit.
Tranmere also played "Always look on the bright side of life" when we trudged out after a defeat there.
Not sure if he is so cocky in the National league:winking:

Yeah remember that tannoy bloke on the pitch asking us to move together to look more like a crowd, sarcastic twit.
Tranmere also played "Always look on the bright side of life" when we trudged out after a defeat there.
Not sure if he is so cocky in the National league:winking:

Very sarcastic, as Tranmere had no fans then anyway, during the 1980's every away crowd at Tranmere was usually well under 2,000 with a couple just creeping over the 1,000 mark.

Sometimes I wonder if I was at the same match when reading the reports.

Yes we struggled to contain their accurate free flowing passing game, but here's some facts that appear to have been overlooked.

They created less chances than us first half.
Bentley only had to make one really good save in the first half.
We could have been 4-2 up at half time.
Someone on here asked what was their keeper doing for the first goal, wtf ? Atkinson absolutely hammered it and you could see it swerve away from the keeper with a wicked bend, superb strike.
Their keeper kept it down to 0-1 in the first half, Payne hit the woodwork too.
Thompson was poor first half, very poor, constantly ball watching and losing his man, also looked slow, made Barrett look like Usain Bolt at times, great second half tackle to keep us in it though.
Hendrie was caught out of position a few times but he wasn't the only one due to the formation that PB set us up with, don't think the players knew where they should be at times. You cannot play 2 strikers and Payne in the centre of midfield, he's too lightweight.
Atkinson ran himself into the ground, he's starting to become a very important player for us.
Hunt was pony, really poor, worst game for us by miles.
Loza frightened the life out of them, they didn't know how to handle him, looks stronger than he was before.
McQueen looks very solid and versatile, had a long chat with with his dad on the way back to the car, very interesting, a number of clubs were after him, he chose us, do not under estimate PB's standing within the game and ability to attract decent players is all I will say.

Fans again 10/10

All in all a good nights work, went there having to make changes, didn't play that well but mugged them off, took the points home, the end.

Whilst I certainly agree with that statement according to Brown we didnt set up like that. According to him we played 3421 with both Payne and Mooney playing behind Hunt.

From the radio is sounded like the formation didnt work well either way, first 20 minutes we were lucky to still be in the game and Atkinson scored against the run of play, but after that we got into the game and came close a few times.

I thought taking well over 200 fans on a Tuesday night to Shrewsbury for a rearranged game was class when you think 15 years ago for the same sort of situation we took bout 30!

Just shows how our club had grown over the last 20 years in terms of support

Yep last nights League 1 away support.

231 Southend at Shrewsbury, 380 mile round trip
177 Swindon at Port Vale, 250 mile round trip
309 Walsall at Doncaster, 160 mile round trip

Ref: 3 - absolutely shocking, not helped by the bald linesman who was equally shocking!All in all a great 3 points!

According to the stats the Ref only gave us 2 free kicks all night, one was for a foul on Bentley and I can't remember the other one.
I still cant work out how that Lino gave the free kick against Loza when their keeper fell over him and dropped the ball?

Yes, great shot from Atko - you could see if swerve towards the goalie ....... and then away - a real banana ball. I don't think the goalie stood a chance - Payne hit the post and had a great second shot, Lenny and Hendrie (I think) both had cracking strikes that the goalie saved. In a dreamworld we could have been 4-0 up even though we were under the cosh as has been said on here - starting with a headed clearance off our line after about a minute. :sad:

Surrendering the lead after 60 seconds in the 2nd half was bonkers - I wonder that Brown has any hair left. Whatever the formation was (one of the downsides of being behind the goal rather than along the side) it didn't work. Our midfield looked out of place and our strikers were non-existent (except Mooney being caught off-side of course :'().

I thought the referee was okay until part way through the 2nd half when the game seemed to moving further away from us. I don't think the players help themselves at times with their back-chat and tricks to delay play but it was all about breaking up Shrewsbury's rhythm and the referee was caught up in that.

Couldn't believe it when we scored - Loza played well whilst on. Just before that the referee gave 3 decisions against us that I thought were all wrong. All the thoughts of injustice and unfairness were swept away by seeing the ball in the net. What was Hendrie doing up there?

And as stated above the Shrews goalie dived across Loza to get the ball, dropped the ball that went out for a corner .......... and a foul is given against the goalie ......... Welcome to the House of Fun? No but still Madness.

The 5 minutes of injury time were nail biting. All the action at the other end of the pitch and all you can see is the ball constantly pinging across the box and somehow not one player is able to put the ball over the stand.
Still, all's well that ends well ............... :thumbsup:

It looked like we did'nt play well but defended resolutely in and around our box and the middle of the park whilst attacking on the counter despite lacking width at times. Shrews passed the ball around well up to the last third and we allowed them to do so. They could'nt do it in the areas that mattered because we stopped them. Possibly a PB guided masterclass in how to win ugly against a confident team on a rush from their last home result.

Fully agree with this and we were still more vocal than the Shrews fans

I thought taking well over 200 fans on a Tuesday night to Shrewsbury for a rearranged game was class when you think 15 years ago for the same sort of situation we took bout 30!

Just shows how our club had grown over the last 20 years in terms of support

Anyone know where the video of this game might be?

So many players in the team that are no longer with us ........ and the possibility of Hendrie coming back to Roots Hall. A good game that night.

And it reminds me - Phil Brown still owes me a pint for this game. :smile:

Back