• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seen the club tweet for Gillingham tickets, 100% a potential flashpoint due to league positions and past history, some have short memories, someone got stabbed at a Gills away day, puts Saturday's handbags into perspective.

Steve Kavanagh, Chief Executive said "Such people are not welcome at Roots Hall and I hope all fans will assist the Club in identifying them to ensure that their actions do not go unpunished. The incident on Saturday is something that hasn't occurred in recent memory and the Club will do everything we can to ensure Roots Hall continues to remain a safe and family friendly environment for football fans."

Sorry Steve, but if some of the comments on this thread are anything to by, then sadly you have little chance of any help - misguided loyalties etc.........

The club made one massive error(yet again) in the search for the big pay out.

Lack of police ,we all know it costs money inside the ground.
Silly kick off time.
Stewards not up to the major task (there are stewards and there are stewards)
Segregation was very limited.

Now I don't know the guy yet if I did then I still would not say anything,because I'm not paid to act as an undercover cop!

Bad view probably but it is what it is.

Silly kick off time.

Now I don't know the guy yet if I did then I still would not say anything,because I'm not paid to act as an undercover cop!

i agree with you

We have no reason to disbelieve the Southend fan who tells us that at least one of the lads who copped a punch is 17 - i.e legally a child.

17 years of age is legally an adult fwiw.

FWIW if you're big enough to throw coins, issue death threats & engage in physical violence against helpless stewards, then you should be treated for what you legally are... A ****. Age shouldn't really have a baring on that.

Silly kick off time.

The sad thing is that all that you say is probably true. The bloke that did the punching will probably get his, and Southend United will definitely pay the price for Saturday. Other supporters from both clubs that were involved but not identified will carry on thinking it's ok to do whatever they want, especially when somebody else gets the blame and not them.

^

Really well written that, GBJ.

Sounds like an extract from a John King novel.

It also sounds like the fiction that he wrote in an earlier post about him and 4 others squaring up to 50 Millwall....:smile::smile:

Seems like he knows how to tell a good story... :thumbsup:

WTF would you know if you're in Tampa ? lol

That whole quoted bit is a farce. Roots Hall was a safe environment on Saturday and will continue to be, its a segregated football ground not like the crazy days of swapping ends. I didn't see any innocent people getting attacked; what I did see were the stewards struggling to maintain order amongst the Colchester United fans and those whom appeared to be the perpetrators of such getting a few windmill punches thrown their way. It was an isolated incident, that in the grand scheme of things that go on in the world today, was minor. Those saying it made them feel ashamed and they never want to go Roots Hall again need to reassess their lives.

Since the club turned the corner under Tilson, and became slightly successful, so have our fans changed. Just prior to that I remember Southend fans fighting each other at away grounds; and this is in recent times. This was brushed under the carpet, quite correctly, and everyone moved on despite the wrongs of it. Southend ultimately looked after Southend and didn't snitch.

Football is a passionate game and the problem with our game is we are suppressing fans passion. No one can say what happened on Saturday was right but all this making a big thing of it needs to stop. Southend fans should look after one another, but unfortunately all we do is turn on one another and criticise. This criticism seems to come from the breed of re-born Southend fans who stopped attending during our stone dropping years. Southend matches have changed too much in just over 10 years, better football recently unquestionably, but support wise we are worse. Away days used to be amazing, 100-300 fans all having one another's back, I felt safer at away games then than I do now and naughty things used to occur often.

Sad times. Close this thread and delete it.

Your the one who came on here twisting the thread onto domestic abuse with your self-righteous, sanctimonious c**P.

As we have seen in the past those that preach the most are often the biggest sinners. You sound like a priest and we all know their record when it comes to child abuse.

Back to your I would never use violence under ANY circumstances statement. What if a member of your family was being attacked in the street would you step in or walk the other way? And lets not have a spineless "I would calm the person down with words" type answer.

OK Would I defend someone being attacked? Yes. Would I extract revenge or simply defend? I would just defend. Would I provoke, goad or retaliate to goading...NO. Is that OK?
I didn't twist anything I simply tried to look at root causes. Judging by the 'likes' I got it found a few who agree that ANY form of proactive use of violence in society (other than the "defend an innocent/my wife/my child etc) is not acceptable and we should not see it as acceptable. War is another issue altogether.
Self-righteous? Funny. Sanctimonious...that's your right to see it that way..up to you. It look quite sensible to me when i wrote it and read it before I posted it.

I am awe of your "you sound like a priest and we all know...." line. Fantastic use of mis-aligned logic in an attempt to make ME the problem. No, I'm not a priest.
And yes...I have used the "calm the other person down"scenario when threatened by a drug-fuelled yob who had his knife pressed against my throat...so it does work. But perhaps only those who know how to do this can do it with success. Sorry if you think it's spineless......but here I am still and he was taken away, hopefully to be helped.

This is good. We're all thinking about the acceptability (or not) of violence

Just seen the club tweet for Gillingham tickets, 100% a potential flashpoint due to league positions and past history, some have short memories, someone got stabbed at a Gills away day, puts Saturday's handbags into perspective.

Should this be even mentioned???? It will only stoke up opinios of those who think that revenge and retribution should be dished out...

I suppose the like of you and BJB would be all for it, correct????

Last edited:
The incredible interest from the media and the discussion on here is largely down to one development - phone/video.
I am not condoning any anti-social behaviour whatsoever but the facts are that one man ran across about 1/30 of the pitch, swung a few punches and ...that is it.
As far as is reported, no Col U fan has been hurt. So it is a no injury event.
It was stupid and wrong!!!
But this happened somewhere, possibly every Saturday from 1970 to 1990. It was wrong then too but I witnessed far worse on perhaps 30 plus occasions while following Southend United back in the day.
It seems so much more more shocking on Saturday as we have thankfully grown accustomed to trouble-free football but not a great deal actually happened and nobody was hurt.
The real drama? Phone coverage!!

Couldn't agree with you more.. however I was accused of being an East Stand fanny for having a similar opinion and having experienced and witnessed some of what you did back then..

Kids of today eh... LOL..:smile:

Some fair points, 'HawkwellShrimper' but as Kevin said earlier, it's the modern world videoing and consequential appearances on National Newspaper's Internet feeds, that makes it the bigger issue.

Years ago certain supporters who It would be unfair to name, might have felt the need to hop onto the pitch and it wouldn't even make a small column on page 23 of the Southend Standard, but nowadays the media does make mountains out of molehills and threads like this are needed to get some balance to the story.

I wasn't there on Saturday and all I initially heard was that a SUFC fan had run onto the pitch and attacked some CUFC fans.

This thread has given the balance that it wasn't, by any stretch of the imagination, an unprovoked attack and some serious issues have been raised which, when the club are investigated by the authorities, need to be aired as well.

It's an interesting observation that this thread has been split into three main groups. There are those who think that any violent action is unacceptable in ANY circumstance regardless of provocation (and I would count myself amongst this group).

The pure notion of this pacifist outlook is bonkers. Some acts of extreme violence are born out of self defense.

In my experience violence or even threats of violence have NO place in a modern civil society which we want to be safe for everyone.

Agreed. In an ideal utopian society maybe. Unfortunately, that isn't the world we live in.

There are those who think that it was appropriate reaction to the provocation. I would say that we are teaching those coming behind us that it is ok to do back to others what they are doing to us...and get in first if you can. It is the thinking that has been used in wars and genocides throughout history.

Great point regarding wars. The fact that you're writing this in the English language, demonstrates how wrong you're ideology is.

Personally I fear for our towns and communities if this is perceived to be acceptable behaviour.

That ship sailed long ago. When was the last time you ventured out into a town or high street late in a Friday or Saturday night? If you're shocked & appalled at what happened at The Hall, I'd love to see your reaction to how some people carry on after closing time.

Social workers only exist because we do not have the personal skills to do life well, without hurting the young and the vulnerable. Social Workers (with all their failings) are evidence that many people are broken - in all sorts of ways.

So with the idea that there are plenty of lunatics about, who don't have what it takes to live in a civilised society, surely adopting a 100% pacifist mentality is dangerous to yourself & your family? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's your prerogative, if hats what works for you, then fair play. You're morally, a better person than me.

But because I, and I'm betting the majority on this one, wouldn't hesitate to use extreme force to defend ourselves, or our loved ones, that doesn't make us bad people, who're making the world a less civilised place.

I do hope you never have to teach anyone how to be a rational, non-judgemental and reasonable member of society........ I fear your ability to jump to wrong conclusions would mis-inform many.

But you're misinforming many, that being a pacifist is the only/correct way to live. When it's simply impossible, due to the naturally aggressive nature of human beings.

It also sounds like the fiction that he wrote in an earlier post about him and 4 others squaring up to 50 Millwall....:smile::smile:

Seems like he knows how to tell a good story... :thumbsup:

Eh? You've got the wrong person pal. I've not mentioned squaring up to anyone, once in this thread, or anywhere else on this site to the best of my knowledge.

Should this be even mentioned???? It will only stoke up opinios of those who think that revenge and retribution should be dished out...

I suppose the like of you and GBJ would be all for it, correct????

Why exactly do you keep mentioning me?

Infact, I haven't engaged with you once in this thread, but you've tried digging me out a few times. Are u ok Hun?

The pure notion of this pacifist outlook is bonkers. Some acts of extreme violence are born out of self defense.

Agreed. In an ideal utopian society maybe. Unfortunately, that isn't the world we live in.

Great point regarding wars. The fact that you're writing this in the English language, demonstrates how wrong you're ideology is.

That ship sailed long ago. When was the last time you ventured out into a town or high street late in a Friday or Saturday night? If you're shocked & appalled at what happened at The Hall, I'd love to see your reaction to how some people carry on after closing time.

So with the idea that there are plenty of lunatics about, who don't have what it takes to live in a civilised society, surely adopting a 100% pacifist mentality is dangerous to yourself & your family? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's your prerogative, if hats what works for you, then fair play. You're morally, a better person than me.

But because I, and I'm betting the majority on this one, wouldn't hesitate to use extreme force to defend ourselves, or our loved ones, that doesn't make us bad people, who're making the world a less civilised place.

But you're misinforming many, that being a pacifist is the only/correct way to live. When it's simply impossible, due to the naturally aggressive nature of human beings.

Thanks for unpacking my thoughts into bite-size pieces. Theyv are good comments and worthy of a thoughtful response and it will have one a bit later...ok? Who ever thought Shrimperzone would get so philosophical...marvellous.

LOL, sounds like we need to launch an investigation into some of these posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back