• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy is now going to find out that 'giving it to people' certainly does have its consequences.

Was it really worth the ban he will now get?

And no doubt they will make an example of him. He will be lucky if he ever sees a Southend United game ever again let alone any other sporting events.

RHB normally you are one of my favourite posters but in ones like this you are the worst. You obviously aren't a ShrimperZone veteran, if we were to have lost 3-0 the match thread would be filled full of people moaning and slagging the players. Check out the match threads after our big losses this season. When we win there isn't really a lot to discuss, 'moan' about.

This is a massive discussion because of the actions of some idiots at the game we could get hit with fines. No doubt it could affect Derby days in the future and other higher profile games.

I understand your frustration at it getting more views than the match thread like the Deegan thread the other week. But when we win other than saying how well we have done there isn't much to say. We are a nation of moaners and enjoy a moan.

I've been lurking around on here for nearly 7 years now, so I guess that doesn't make me a veteran. Unfortunately I have experienced many a match thread after a defeat so I know what you mean, but I shall cease from any further comment on this thread that goes against the grain cos it's no fun being the worst one on here.:sad:

ps Of course, I may be a tinker and take the **** a bit though.

This idiot should never set foot in Roots Hall or any other football stadium again. Utterly ashamed to be a Southed fan this morning.

As someone said earlier, it's all over the tabloids now, whereas if the game had been properly policed, the fella would have just been wrestled by the OB down by the corner flag if it even got to that point as the provocation would have had a lid on it, as well. It might have just about got a paragraph at the end of an Echo report.

It's now going to get us into serious trouble and what with the awful incident last season, we are going to get a reputation we definitely do not deserve.

A re-think on policing of high profile games, ticket numbering and so on, needs to be seriously thought through.

Jeez, we might be in the Championship next season against some really high profile clubs.

Nice and balanced view point.

Seeing on social media most Col U fans just blaming Southend fans, but I assume this is because being in the same stand they didnt get a good overview of what happened.

I didnt see the beginning of it, but I did see our fan run over and start punching and it was clear that Col U fans were already fighting stewards before he did that and trying to get through to Southend fans.

No excuse of either behaviour.
U's fans on social media are going to say that because well, it's their team! But as is often the case with these things both parties are as guilty as each other, what's worse for Southend is that it's them who've got the bad name now due to the media coverage.

I'm sure there are still an element of people who think that guy was a hero yesterday, maybe they'll visit him inside?

Football violence has had always amazed me, grown men acting like children. Very cowardly indeed. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you but as you had a sell out crowd yesterday I've no doubt you had a few new families etc coming along who'll no doubt be put off coming back again. That's when it becomes quite sad.

Anyway, enough from me and obviously bad luck on your promotion trail :-) I'm off to look at the football grounds website guide to league 2 stadiums :-(

Disgusted by the behaviour of a minority of fans from both clubs.

The question I ask is this:

Why were 2 police vans full of police sitting in the club main car park for the entire game when they should have been inside the ground as soon as there were signs of trouble? Unlike others, I don't blame the stewards who were clearly overwhelmed and who are not trained to deal with violence. That is what the police are paid for.

if i took a gun in to the west and starting aiming at the col ewe fans, would the police have to get permission from SUFC before coming over to me?

:omg:

Where do you think you are, South Central?! :winking:

Football violence has had always amazed me, grown men acting like children. Very cowardly indeed. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you but as you had a sell out crowd yesterday I've no doubt you had a few new families etc coming along who'll no doubt be put off coming back again. That's when it becomes quite sad.

Indeed. Kids are vital to clubs at our level. Those families will now watch football in the safety of their living room and give their money to Sky rather than SUFC. I hope the plastic hoolies will be thrilled when CU and SU FCs go out of business.

Disgusted by the behaviour of a minority of fans from both clubs.

The question I ask is this:

Why were 2 police vans full of police sitting in the club main car park for the entire game when they should have been inside the ground as soon as there were signs of trouble? Unlike others, I don't blame the stewards who were clearly overwhelmed and who are not trained to deal with violence. That is what the police are paid for.
Completely agree. The stewards who were actually there are blameless IMO. Tenner an hour to put up with that crap, if I was one I'd resign for not having support when it was quite clearly needed.

This idiot should never set foot in Roots Hall or any other football stadium again. Utterly ashamed to be a Southed fan this morning.

Talk about over kill. There is only one person who should be ashamed of his actions and that's the person himself. There are worst things going on in this world.

The fella who went over and punched Colchester fans obviously was bit silly and a ban and other punishments are more than likely but the Colchester fans in that corner were certainly no angels with their own actions including aggression to a female steward and Bolger incident so i really dont feel sorry for them.If you go looking for trouble it often finds you.And all this i am ashamed to be a Southend fan i just dont get vast majority are really good people

As long as the Col Ewe fans are investigated for the punching of the stewards and Bolger

Yes, this is what I find most disappointing about the whole thing.

If this idiot hadn't done what he did then this thread would be all about the disgraceful behaviour from SOME of the Col U 'fans' who were throwing coins into the X block area and assaulting our stewards while trying to get at the home fans in X block and felt able to attempt an assault on a player. Instead there is a danger that their actions will be glossed over because of the crazy actions of this guy or at the very least attentions distracted.

Make no mistake, he will, rightly, suffer the repercussions of his actions but it should not be allowed to distract from what I saw as a failing in the level of policing in the ground.
As others have said, the levels of policing for the games against the likes of Millwall and Luton have been visibly far higher and should have been for the first Essex Derby in a good few years. I certainly didn't go along yesterday expecting us to all be sitting around in a circle holding hands and singing 'Kumbaya' with those from up the A12 and I fail to see why those in authority seemed to think we would be, I can't believe that they'd seemed to have forgotten how high passions and tensions run in these games.

I don't normally like to comment on this type of thing, but here goes.

I think stewards are a very good way of policing football matches as they have the ability to remove the odd random drunk or obnoxious person. However they struggle when confronted by a large group of people who do not respect their authority and can then only act as a barrier to keep fans apart and when there are too many fans misbehaving they are simply stretched too thin to do this effectively.

It was obvious from very early on in the game that a small contingent of police was needed as the stewards were struggling and not in full control, which for me is a safety issue. The police could easily have removed one or two of the Colchester ringleaders who seemed to be able to do what they wanted. if they had done that early on it would have asserted control and the problems later on probably wouldn't of happened. The only police there were liaison officers who felt it best to film disorder rather than prevent it.

The policing at Southend games in the last year or so has been very hit and miss. They are meant to be the professionals but haven't seen the danger signs/hot spots inside and outside the ground on numerous occasions - Cambridge, Luton, Port Vale and now Colchester. I know Spooner retired but their does seem to be a lack of understanding of how to prevent trouble which to be honest the average fan who has been going to games for decades can spot a mile off.

The fella who went over and punched Colchester fans obviously was bit silly and a ban and other punishments are more than likely but the Colchester fans in that corner were certainly no angels with their own actions including aggression to a female steward and Bolger incident so i really dont feel sorry for them.If you go looking for trouble it often finds you.And all this i am ashamed to be a Southend fan i just dont get vast majority are really good people

You shouldnt be, 99% of us go to games and are able to be passionate about our club without resorting to behaving like idiots.

Being a Southend fan is nothing to be ashamed about unless you are one of the minority who act like that.

You shouldnt be, 99% of us go to games and are able to be passionate about our club without resorting to behaving like idiots.

Being a Southend fan is nothing to be ashamed about unless you are one of the minority who act like that.
I agree mate.I think we have a lot to be proud of as Southend United fans

Dave Jobson was being restrained by a couple of the stewards on the pitch after the game. He then marched off with a rather angry looking Steve Kavanagh and another bloke in a suit in hot pursuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back