• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He has never said anything different, publicly or privately. Most of the 'outraged' like spoons for example would have always wanted him out anyway. Agreed some others have been swept along with the zone and twitter rumours but that's always going to happen in the modern social media world.

Sizeable proportion?? Really?? Who are all these people? How many?? I must admit I haven't gone through the thread and counted, but critics that repeatedly post still only get one vote. I would guess the number in the Brown out brigade is not overly significant, and given how many supporters there are at clubs up and down the country who routinely want their manager gone, I would say PB is probably one of the better supported managers by the clubs fans.

The number of people who actually post on here does not represent a sizeable number of the Blues supporters, and of those that post or read SZ I would suspect the significant majority will be happy he is staying. Those that don't want him here should in my view be careful what they wish for. We are not a big club and don't offer a huge salary- so on the manager front in my opinion we are punching above our weight..

Ron M has been steadfast and ensured contractual arrangements that mean that PB is here for the long term (barring interest at the highest level). Ron may have many faults but how many managers has he got through? If you want job security I would wager he would statistically be amongst the top 5 chairman to work for across all 4 divisions!! He wants long term planning and believes he has got the right man. PB can have no doubt about the chairmans desire to keep him on board. And with this put to bed I am looking forward to onward and upwards.

I guess if we wanted to we could run a poll.

Leicester have been successful for a number of reasons, but mostly because they play no nonsense football, work hard, defend in numbers, pressurize the opposition on the ball and break quickly, which is a perfect foil against showboating sides who try to pass the ball into the net and defend like they would rather be somewhere else.

Most of the above applies to a PB side, when it's on top of it's game.

We are a good side when we do the above and some of our performances this season have been excellent. It's not much that needs tweaking. Just a settled system and keeping the intensity up in all games and not just some of them.

That's all Leicester have done.

Leicester have been successful for a number of reasons, but mostly because they play no nonsense football, work hard, defend in numbers, pressurize the opposition on the ball and break quickly, which is a perfect foil against showboating sides who try to pass the ball into the net and defend like they would rather be somewhere else.

We are a good side when we do the above and some of our performances this season have been excellent. It's not much that needs tweaking. Just a settled system and keeping the intensity up in all games and not just some of them.

I would agree with this- plus a bit more quality at the level we are at. I think PB tried to do this with the likes of Hunt and Wordsworth but injuries got in the way. But 3-4 quality players to go with the majority of the current squad plus the attributes you highlight then this season shows the playoffs at least are realistic.

Sizeable proportion?? Really?? Who are all these people? How many?? I must admit I haven't gone through the thread and counted, but critics that repeatedly post still only get one vote. I would guess the number in the Brown out brigade is not overly significant, and given how many supporters there are at clubs up and down the country who routinely want their manager gone, I would say PB is probably one of the better supported managers by the clubs fans.

The number of people who actually post on here does not represent a sizeable number of the Blues supporters, and of those that post or read SZ I would suspect the significant majority will be happy he is staying. Those that don't want him here should in my view be careful what they wish for. We are not a big club and don't offer a huge salary- so on the manager front in my opinion we are punching above our weight..

Ron M has been steadfast and ensured contractual arrangements that mean that PB is here for the long term (barring interest at the highest level). Ron may have many faults but how many managers has he got through? If you want job security I would wager he would statistically be amongst the top 5 chairman to work for across all 4 divisions!! He wants long term planning and believes he has got the right man. PB can have no doubt about the chairmans desire to keep him on board. And with this put to bed I am looking forward to onward and upwards.

Yes, there has been some good examples of that over the years, like 'Taxi for Pardew'. My personal favourite was the Charlton fans... 'Curbishley has taken us as far as he can'. When they finished 7th in the PL. I will of course be only to happy to remind them of that statement next season.

Essentially so; but LCFC have hit gold with Vardy and a couple of others.
I would go as far as to say, based on this Div1, that I have seen this season; that if we had a striker of the Fred or Stan ilk level then we could have made the automatics; it isn't a great league - nor is this years Prem.
When we have put in the work and we have been fit and balanced , as we were for a spell in the 1st few months (after an initial settling in period), then we have been a hard side to beat and dangerous given enough chances.

People often highlight the spine of a side being it's basis to build around.

Leicester have Schmeichel, Huth, Morgan, Drinkwater, Vardy.

We have/had Bentley, Barrett, Bolger, Leonard, Barnett.

It's not to dissimilar in style. Good keeper, two strong centre halves, someone who breaks the play up and links well and a goalscorer. Obviously there's the difference in standard and you need Barnett to score more goals, but in essence our spine Isn't too bad.

The issues have come with how PB feels best to play around this and he has tinkered too much with formations and personnel.

Plus, unlike Leicester, key players have been injured this season.

Wordsworth, McLaughlin, Payne and Worrall should all fit comfortable around that spine, hence why we don't have too much tweaking to do. Subject to Payne staying and Ted Smith developing well.

Hunt/Mooney could replace Barnett in that system, when fit and on their game.

Essentially so; but LCFC have hit gold with Vardy and a couple of others.
I would go as far as to say, based on this Div1, that I have seen this season; that if we had a striker of the Fred or Stan ilk level then we could have made the automatics; it isn't a great league - nor is this years Prem.
When we have put in the work and we have been fit and balanced , as we were for a spell in the 1st few months (after an initial settling in period), then we have been a hard side to beat and dangerous given enough chances.

Spot on.

We have missed a Freddy style forward.

We've created loads of chances, so the "negative Brown" comments are a little harsh.

Difference is, we don't test the keeper enough.

How is it punching to attract a manager who was on the downward slope. He was out of work for 2 years applying for every job going and we were the only club who gave him a chance. Hardly punching! There are so many managers out of work at the moment, I remember reading somewhere that some pretty experienced managers have applied for the Chelmsford job. If Brown was to go and the job was vacant we would have a lot of applicants.

He has never said anything different, publicly or privately. Most of the 'outraged' like spoons for example would have always wanted him out anyway. Agreed some others have been swept along with the zone and twitter rumours but that's always going to happen in the modern social media world.
Good old shrimperzone, altering posts to suit agendas, misquoting to suit agenda.
Read my post, basically I am bored with all the gossip and couldn't care less either way what he does.
I haven't always wanted him out but I will criticise if it is of my opinion.
I would say the same about Barratt. Nice to know some bother to read posts but not so good to have words twisted but hey ho, life goes on.:winking:

Amended to reflect the fact that Accers are performing so well .......... and the constant stream of comments about how we (and every other club) should mimic Leicester (who are doing very well it must be said) is getting a little bit repetitive now.
Nice to see Rattus wanting to write my posts, but a bit sad ultimately.
Would have preferred a reasoned reply rather than altering my opinions. Not seen that before from Rattus who has received "likes" in the past from me. Must be short of ideas for a reasoned reply:stunned:

Nice to see Rattus wanting to write my posts, but a bit sad ultimately.
Would have preferred a reasoned reply rather than altering my opinions. Not seen that before from Rattus who has received "likes" in the past from me. Must be short of ideas for a reasoned reply:stunned:

Sorry Spoons but I am getting tired of all the posts about how good Leicester are now that they are nearly champions.

Not many people saying how good they were going to be at the beginning of the season ......... so a bit of hindsight involved in the current (and continual) analysis of Leicester.

Besides which I am genuinely surprised that a club like Accers can mount a promotion challenge of such strength. It took us (Southend United) years to get out of that league with many times more resources.

People will say Leicester are the team of the season ............ but on any other year (when the top four places are held by the usual clubs) it would be Accers that would be receiving all the attention.

I,m sorry but they is clearly BS , we all know the tour is only arranged last minute - as we ahve so many complaining on here that its difficult/impossible for supporters to get flights, time off work etc :winking:

Haha, I never said us fans would know about the tour earlier... Just that it was being organised... Come on why would the club change a habit of a lifetime. 😋

Haha, I never said us fans would know about the tour earlier... Just that it was being organised... Come on why would the club change a habit of a lifetime. 

I am hearing that the Malaga area might have a blue hue this summer......

Hmm, maybe Phil should have spoken about this definitively about six weeks ago. What has changed?

I'm reading between the lines that what this means is that Brown wanted to go Bolton but a) didn't want a relegation on his CV so hedged his bets until we were out of play-off contention b) Bolton realised they cannot afford him c) Bolton have now decided, after recent poor form, they don't want him after all.

Glad to see that this has all been conducted with Southend's interests at heart. Too cynical?

Accessibility of sunbeds, quality of potential team, budget agreement, and a recognition v rewards contract mebbe :unsure:

People often highlight the spine of a side being it's basis to build around.

Leicester have Schmeichel, Huth, Morgan, Drinkwater, Vardy.

We have/had Bentley, Barrett, Bolger, Leonard, Barnett..

Ah, but Leicester didn't send Huth out on loan to one of their rivals.

Speaking from the heart, I have heard so much rumour, so little from Brown that I really couldn't care less whether he is here next season or not.
I suspect he has got the most that he could from this squad. He is old fashioned with his defensive mind set. The best team in the land Leicester are solid defensively but set out to graft and get forward. Liverpool and Spurs are doing similar with limited success but they are entertaining and generally Browns sides are rarely entertaining.
I wish him well wherever he goes but have had enough of the gossip of him staying or going.:winking:

Any League 1 manager that is never linked to an "opportunity" - is a manager that is struggling! Be careful what you wish for.
I hope that this time next year, our manager is being linked with lots of opportunities from ambitious clubs!!

Any League 1 manager that is never linked to an "opportunity" - is a manager that is struggling! Be careful what you wish for.

.... or is a manager who is quietly and efficiently going about his work rather than looking to promote himself at any opportunity.

Back