• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown accepts no responsibility, just puts it on the players.
I agree with no changes for a winning team, but this game at Port Vale cried out for a wide player, Worrall or similar.
The so called diamond needs backs pushing up to support the midfield and that is tough in away games, where the home side tends to be more attack minded.
Brown is solely responsible for the team shape and tactics, and he appears to be inflexible. No good waiting until 2 down to bring subs on, better to get it right at the outset. Barnett must wonder what he has signed up for and Hunt sadly is typical of so many previous class signings on the decline and no longer up to regular matches.
Timlin is nowhere near his best this season. Sadly, I see the side slipping away now and settling for mid table place.
The inconsistency is tough to take from a strong squad and an apparently experienced manager.

I agree with no changes for a winning team, but this game at Port Vale cried out for a wide player, Worrall or similar.
The so called diamond needs backs pushing up to support the midfield and that is tough in away games, where the home side tends to be more attack minded.
Brown is solely responsible for the team shape and tactics, and he appears to be inflexible. No good waiting until 2 down to bring subs on, better to get it right at the outset. Barnett must wonder what he has signed up for and Hunt sadly is typical of so many previous class signings on the decline and no longer up to regular matches.
Timlin is nowhere near his best this season. Sadly, I see the side slipping away now and settling for mid table place.
The inconsistency is tough to take from a strong squad and an apparently experienced manager.

And if he had made changes and we lost , the same number of people ( not the same people ) would have been questioning why a winning team was changed ! Oh the beauty of being a football manager eh !

So Deeg has missed 22 games through injury or suspension,never knew that,ta:winking:

Because he was suspended and lost his place ... I don't think I need to add a winky face for pointing out the bleedin obvious

Because he was suspended and lost his place ... I don't think I need to add a winky face for pointing out the bleedin obvious

Ok sorry:winking::winking::winking::winking::winking::winking::winking::winking:

So how would Worrell have stopped them scoring from a corner. They never created any dangerous chances from out wide, as I said Bolger and Barrett actually played ok.

Worrall on before half time and McQueen just after and they never produce one cross between them.

Coker not one cross all night and his set pieces were his normal poor standard. Not because he didn't get forward he just wanted to overcomplicate things with Worrall. They couldn't even take a throw in without messing it up and what about their short corner that had all the Vale fans around me in the main stand laughing at us.

O'Neil poor crosses all night, mostly flat and easily headed clear. Barnett and Hunt did not have as single ball into the box that they could attack.

Finally right at death we put a decent in swinging free kick into the back post and we score. They go to pieces and we even get a penalty.

We were not beaten by a good team, or by tactics. That second goal was our own doing and we are not going to come back from that.

It was O'Neill NOT Bolger, he headed the ball straight into the middle of the area when even leaving it would have been better

I mentioned this somewhere recently, there's far too much of this from several of the players when winning headers in and around the box. Just let the damn ball go out if your only option is to head it back into the danger areas!

I mentioned this somewhere recently, there's far too much of this from several of the players when winning headers in and around the box. Just let the damn ball go out if your only option is to head it back into the danger areas!

Very true, our mate John White would have dealt with that cross much better. To be fair to Coker he does use his top knot to good effect when seeing a dangerous far post ball out. Was not impressed with O'Neil's defending at Burton away for their goal but of course Prosser became the scapegoat that day.

I think timlin has lost his way for us a little bit, anyone agree? Not sure if it's me or what, looked a bit off the pace of the game against burton at times, some silly mistakes, maybe his trying to hard:unsure:

I think you will find Mr brown finaly got something right taking Timlin off before he was sent off .all I could hear on the radio was one rash tackle after another form Timms .And they even agreed that either P B took him off or the ref was going to show him a red card sooner or later .

We're badly missing Leonard in Away games. Perhaps people will now start to realise why he is "undroppable"...

I'm not always the biggest fan of Leonard but I am starting to see what he brings to the team. All three goals were defensively poor yesterday. The first was Bentley not owning a cross which resulted in a corner which no-one defended. The second was a Luke O'Neill assist when he should probably have put it behind. The third clearly was an own goal. Hard work on the training ground needed I feel because all three goals were down to basic defending.

I feel a little bit sorry for PB, It's all very well saying we should have had more width, but who exactly could he have played out wide? Our two most natural wingers, Worrall and McLaughlin, are out of form, McQueen and Atkinson are more effective towards the middle, and Weston's injured.

Having said that I do think he made a mistake playing the diamond away from home, whenever it's been tried we invariably get hammered, other than last night the Chesterfield game comes to mind. For the next away game I'd like to see us revert to the back 3 with 2 wing backs to provided the width.

Anyway thank god we've got 2 home games next, I thought Phil's homer comment was interesting as I was thinking the same myself. I'd persist with the diamond against Crewe, the 2 changes I'd make are White for O'Neill and Deegan for Timlin.

I'm supprised PB hasn't blamed Luke Prosser, OH he cant doesn't want to play for PB so went to Northampton. Listen to Coughlan interview, we let a player go who fitted the bill.

I think you will find Mr brown finaly got something right taking Timlin off before he was sent off .all I could hear on the radio was one rash tackle after another form Timms .And they even agreed that either P B took him off or the ref was going to show him a red card sooner or later .

To be fare to our players the ref had a shocker he was the polar opposite to Mondays ref. Port Vale were also embarrassing in the way they played the game. The ref bought every dive and feigned injury and their fans screamed in outrage when anyone was touched. So it probably sounded much worse than it was.

Even the free kick for their third should never have been given. Their guy had a really bad touch and knew he had lost it, so deliberately ran into Timlin who could not avoid him. Unbelievable he then had words with Timlin so PB Knew they were targeting him. Same with Atkinson, He made some fair challenges but ended in the book for the crime of winning the ball.

I'm supprised PB hasn't blamed Luke Prosser, OH he cant doesn't want to play for PB so went to Northampton. Listen to Coughlan interview, we let a player go who fitted the bill.

He didn't fit the bill as he wasn't good enough

Personally would rather see a center back pairing of Bolger and Thompson; getting fed up with this right foot left foot rubbish

It's simple. We have a go at teams at home and fear no one. Away we seem to be a lot more cautious which leads to the diamond being ineffective.

4-4-2 or 3-5-2 away please and
4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2 at home please.

And people are saying we are missing Leonard then I think having John white and weston would have helped us as well.

Back