• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Opinion - Fossetts Farm

BenA

It seems like it will never happen, but I don't think I am the only person against Fossetts Farm.....

I just don't like the idea of an out-of-town stadium. They never seem to have any atmosphere (Col ewe, Shrewsbury) and take the club out of the community.

Also I can never see us filling it with all of the PL glory hunters this town has, unless we get to the PL ourselves.

Am I the only person with this opinion?

It seems like it will never happen, but I don't think I am the only person against Fossetts Farm.....

I just don't like the idea of an out-of-town stadium. They never seem to have any atmosphere (Col ewe, Shrewsbury) and take the club out of the community.

Also I can never see us filling it with all of the PL glory hunters this town has, unless we get to the PL ourselves.

Possibly...

"Out-of-town"? The new site is only a 6 minute drive from Roots Hall. It's a little further out but I wouldn't call it out of town.

I get your point about the attendances, which I suppose is why the 3 stand plan has been suggested. In theory, more commercial revenues will bring more money which will help push us up the leagues and perform better and attract bigger crowds. In some cases (Swansea) that works, in others, it doesn't have the same impact (Darlington). We undoubtedly have the potential for a greater supporter base, but that will require us to play at a higher level to take advantage of it.

An important factor will be West Ham's stadiums move, if they start offering dirt cheap tickets to try and fill out the Olympic Stadium then that will really hit a club like us, especially if they manage to stay in the Premiership for more than a few seasons at a time.

Last edited:
Having driven past it today, didn't realise Bolton's stadium is 5 miles or so outside of the outskirts of Bolton and stuck totally in the middle of nowhere - now, that is mad!

Not at all.

Nope, you're not ! We have always been many peoples 2nd club. That little local team to go and watch if we have a big game, or when their beloved West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea etc are away from home. I feel it'll take many years of attracting youngsters with cheap tickets in a top class arena to change that.

Those stadiums are soul less but I suppose at least they're not falling down !

In theory, more commercial revenues will bring more money which will help push us up the leagues and perform better and attract bigger crowds.

In theory, yes. But we've had no assurances of what parts of the project will benefit SUFC, if any !!

In theory, yes. But we've had no assurances of what parts of the project will benefit SUFC, if any !!

We will benefit from everything a new stadium will offer. Higher attendances, better food and drink sales and boxes etc that people and local business will actually use. Season ticket holders will have access to a lounge and more parking. Plus we will use the stadiums facilities for commercial purposes on non match days.

New training ground and two domes will take us up to cat 2, which will help with our youth academy and help attract and keep any future Jack Payne's.

Apart from that what are the Ron-mans ever gong to do for us.

We will benefit from everything a new stadium will offer. Higher attendances, better food and drink sales and boxes etc that people and local business will actually use. Season ticket holders will have access to a lounge and more parking. Plus we will use the stadiums facilities for commercial purposes on non match days.

New training ground and two domes will take us up to cat 2, which will help with our youth academy and help attract and keep any future Jack Payne's.

4 of the bottom 7 in league 1 have new stadia,Doncaster the biggest club look destined to drop into league 2,their 16,000 stadium hasn't helped them to maintain status in this division or higher.

Ron has never explained how the club would benefit from revenue streams,I doubt he ever will.

From what I understand that is pretty much spot on. However, the rest of it, i.e. the retail units etc will almost certainly not benefit SUFC: it will be owned by RM and his family.

That said, I don't believe most clubs in the Championship (for example) own and run huge great retail complexes: their income is from what you describe above. This will at least put us at the same level as them.

An important factor will be West Ham's stadiums move, if they start offering dirt cheap tickets to try and fill out the Olympic Stadium then that will really hit a club like us, especially if they manage to stay in the Premiership for more than a few seasons at a time.

West Ham have already started selling dirt cheap tickets, as Adult season tickets were available next season from £299. They have pretty much ensured that they will be getting 50,000+ crowds and increased corporate income for a very long time. They currently sell out every home game, they will have no trouble filling the Olympic Stadium.

From what I understand that is pretty much spot on. However, the rest of it, i.e. the retail units etc will almost certainly not benefit SUFC: it will be owned by RM and his family.

That said, I don't believe most clubs in the Championship (for example) own and run huge great retail complexes: their income is from what you describe above. This will at least put us at the same level as them.

Not so sure about that bit. The new project is bigger than the Sainsbury's deal, so BL will want more of the retail park. they wont be building it all for nothing. Depends of course what will happen to the RH site, who will develop it etc.

We can only guess how the spoils will be divided. I would assume that Ron will, if he hasn't already, sell RH as quick as he can to a house builder after the move. This would enable him to complete the fourth side asap.

Having driven past it today, didn't realise Bolton's stadium is 5 miles or so outside of the outskirts of Bolton and stuck totally in the middle of nowhere - now, that is mad!

It's actually in quite a good location. it's on the edge of the motorway (I guess why you drove past) and has a train station. It's also a part of a large retail complex (Tesco's I think).

I guess that if you want your stadium to be right in the centre of a city then it's not going to float your boat, but hardly anyone is doing that any more, it just doesn't make financial sense.

Not so sure about that bit. The new project is bigger than the Sainsbury's deal, so BL will want more of the retail park. they wont be building it all for nothing. Depends of course what will happen to the RH site, who will develop it etc.

We can only guess how the spoils will be divided. I would assume that Ron will, if he hasn't already, sell RH as quick as he can to a house builder after the move. This would enable him to complete the fourth side asap.

You're probably correct, but I would expect RM to benefit personally, just maybe not quite as much as he would have done. After all, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

You're probably correct, but I would expect RM to benefit personally, just maybe not quite as much as he would have done. After all, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

True. Don't forget Ron's big pay day will be if he sells the club when we are at FF, hopefully doing well in the Championship:winking:

Until then whatever you think of Ron he is stuck with us and we are stuck with him. Whoever was in charge would be looking for a move and to make money in the process. No point in dreaming of some sugar daddy who just loves the town and the team. Look at the people who's money pushed their clubs artificially higher for a while even that never lasted.

Blackburn, Wolves and Wigan have all ended up back where they belong.

Does Roots Hall actually have that much?

As for being against FF, not me Im all for it and if Ron announced tomorrow building work is going to start for definite and it will be a complete stadium I think the majority of people would be. Most people are sick of the whole thing because of the delays not because they dont want the stadium.

The biggest downer for me will be if its not built complete, kills any excitement in it even if we had a start date.

True. Don't forget Ron's big pay day will be if he sells the club when we are at FF, hopefully doing well in the Championship:winking:

Until then whatever you think of Ron he is stuck with us and we are stuck with him. Whoever was in charge would be looking for a move and to make money in the process. No point in dreaming of some sugar daddy who just loves the town and the team. Look at the people who's money pushed their clubs artificially higher for a while even that never lasted.

Blackburn, Wolves and Wigan have all ended up back where they belong.

Completely agree. Some people would rather he left, but I doubt anyone else would be any better, so I would rather he does what he has to do, and then left.

Back