• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown: I still expect to be at Southend next season

happy-happy-joy-joy.jpg

Hopefully this is another one of those times Brown says one thing and then does the complete opposite.

Hopefully this is another one of those times Brown says one thing and then does the complete opposite.

He's not done a bad job really though has he? Promotion & then top 10 of league 1? ... Grass isn't always greener!

I'd be more than happy if he stays tbh!

I want some continuity at the club, and PB staying will give out that message. If we can afford the wages, then Barnett is likely to put down roots with us, especially if Phil is still the boss. This is the first time that he has made any sort of specific statement about his future so maybe he means it? Regardless of Brown still being with us, neither Bentley nor Payne will be influenced by it, but others might.

He's not done a bad job really though has he? Promotion & then top 10 of league 1? ... Grass isn't always greener!

I'd be more than happy if he stays tbh!

By the skin of his teeth and we could have achieved so much more this season with the players Brown has at his disposal but he doesn't know how to utilise them

By the skin of his teeth and we could have achieved so much more this season with the players Brown has at his disposal but he doesn't know how to utilise them

Very true !

Some on here truly believe that Phil is the master tactician and generally a great gaffer !

When he took the over from Luggy he only managed 1 win from that team,not forgetting how Crewe bossed us at Wembley.

Next season we had the crazy winless run whilst playing dire football with goals rarer than a rarer thing.

Last season we again witnessed poo football which somehow resulted in promotion ,Wembley 20 seconds from defeat!.

This season has been okayish but I believe if Phil had gone for it,we would have been several points better off IMO.

Very true !

Some on here truly believe that Phil is the master tactician and generally a great gaffer !

When he took the over from Luggy he only managed 1 win from that team,not forgetting how Crewe bossed us at Wembley.

Next season we had the crazy winless run whilst playing dire football with goals rarer than a rarer thing.

Last season we again witnessed poo football which somehow resulted in promotion ,Wembley 20 seconds from defeat!.

This season has been okayish but I believe if Phil had gone for it,we would have been several points better off IMO.

Longest winless run in the clubs history I believe

Very true !

That's a pretty big statement mrsb! I can't find any one on here who has stated that Brown is a master tactician, not even Rigsby, and he is a big supporter of Phil. Is he a good gaffer? Only the players can tell you that, but Barnett rates the guy and most of us rate Barnett and want him to sign. So PB must have something.

That's a pretty big statement mrsb! I can't find any one on here who has stated that Brown is a master tactician, not even Rigsby, and he is a big supporter of Phil. Is he a good gaffer? Only the players can tell you that, but Barnett rates the guy and most of us rate Barnett and want him to sign. So PB must have something.

Barnett ain't going to slag anyone off simply because he is looking for a new deal,which is fair play to him,Ty is also in the shop window so other clubs maybe looking at the situation very closely!

Will he sign here,I hope so but wouldn't put my mortgage on it.

Barnett ain't going to slag anyone off simply because he is looking for a new deal,which is fair play to him,Ty is also in the shop window so other clubs maybe looking at the situation very closely!

Will he sign here,I hope so but wouldn't put my mortgage on it.

Of course he's not. But neither did he have to say any of that. It maybe that as great gaffers go Phil is not necessarily in the mix. The point of my post was that no one on here is saying Phil is a master tactician. He has got his tactics absolutely bang on in some games and in others he hasn't.

THe next few lines will be devoid of opinion.
Phil Brown is one of the most successful SUFC managers ever.
Under Phil Brown we won promotion and have more than held our own in the division above.
Now the opinions start. The above facts surely mean a good job has been done, however it has been achieved how on earth can the results be slated. I see others stating we have the players to be challenging for promotion....not in my opinion. Take ryan Leonard for example he can be outstanding and completely boss games then the following week all his passes are over hit he is off the pace and not as effective...actually that's not an opinion at all I've seen it loads with him. Shock horror lower league players can be inconsistent. Brown must tear his hair out sometimes especially when the same players beat the likes of Burton coventry Sheffield United and then go underperform in others. I know I have had the same chat with my son....how infuriating that last week barnett was almost unplayable yet one week later couldn't get going at all. Not always the gaffers fault. Interesting summer coming up for sure. But here's the scenario as I see it.....successful manager who has instilled a fantastic work ethic....or someone new who may or may not be a good appointment and shock horror may not pick the players or formation or style that some fans may not agree with (still) change does not in any way guarantee better. It may do...It may not I'm. Just not sure that getting rid of a manager who has done a good for us is a good thing.....again factually brown has done a good job....how why and who are the fluffy bits.

Under Phil Brown we won promotion and have more than held our own in the division above.
Now the opinions start. The above facts surely mean a good job has been done, however it has been achieved how on earth can the results be slated. I see others stating we have the players to be challenging for promotion....not in my opinion. Take ryan Leonard for example he can be outstanding and completely boss games then the following week all his passes are over hit he is off the pace and not as effective...actually that's not an opinion at all I've seen it loads with him. Shock horror lower league players can be inconsistent. Brown must tear his hair out sometimes especially when the same players beat the likes of Burton coventry Sheffield United and then go underperform in others. I know I have had the same chat with my son....how infuriating that last week barnett was almost unplayable yet one week later couldn't get going at all. Not always the gaffers fault. Interesting summer coming up for sure. But here's the scenario as I see it.....successful manager who has instilled a fantastic work ethic....or someone new who may or may not be a good appointment and shock horror may not pick the players or formation or style that some fans may not agree with (still) change does not in any way guarantee better. It may do...It may not I'm. Just not sure that getting rid of a manager who has done a good for us is a good thing.....again factually brown has done a good job....how why and who are the fluffy bits.
That is true, but his defensive ability never waivers in my opinion which makes him such a crucial player for us.

I'm not Phil Brown's biggest fan but I think that, on balance, it will be a good thing if he stays with us. I do find him frustrating; there are occasions when he does seem to be a master tactician, especially against some of the top teams but this is not a frequent occurrence. For much of the time he is OK if a little predictable (except for his substitutions which are rarely predictable). On some occasions he seems naive and unaware of what seems blooming obvious. He is a bit of an enigma really, he seems a nice honest chap who wears his heart on his sleeve but his management is inconsistent -I hope that he is learning lessons from this season and can lead us on to success in 2017.

Completely agree. How can anyone complain at his achievements since being at the club?

So we play some poor football at times. Have you seen the majority of premier league games? A number of them are f***ing awful.

We are a decent league 1 team. How many years had we been a fairly average league 2 team before Phil arrived?

I'm not saying he's the next Guardiola (although I'm not so sure he'd be rated quite so highly with a team not made up of £30 Million players) but the guy has made massive achievements in a small amount of time. I for one am massively appreciative of the work both PB and RM have put into the club and where we could potentially be heading.

Very true !

in the interests of fairness, Phil was in charge during the clubs worst ever run --- but he was also in charge during one of the clubs best ever runs . The history books will also show that we did gain promotion under him (and my memory will show that he had three stands at Roots Hall united in 'you don't know what your doing' when making a substitution (Worrall ?))

Would we have attracted half of these decent players without him & his influence though? I've seen on more than one occasion where the players have signed & have said they wanted to play for the gaffer! His contacts & reputation in the game, I feel, are very important when it comes to attracting decent players for this level.

Many have never forgiven Phil Brown for not being Paul Sturrock and being far more successful than their stated opinion.

Football is a very thin line between success or failure,last season we were seconds from remaining in league 2,the records state we were promoted,but it was apart from the goal and the pens,utterly uninspiring.

Our fans were superb though.

So just to confirm where do you think we should be with our current squad in the league compared to other teams?

Back