• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Euro 2016

Gutted again..we could still be playing now and not have scored.

look on the bright side:'(..we are at least still in the euros till monday night:nope:....

Ha! Don't say I didn't tell you so.

What is is now ? Wales v Croatia and England v Portugal?

We'll find out tomorrow.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36581015

I think Portugal will beat Hungary which should mean we'll be playing Hungary unless Iceland beat Austria. Either way, I'd prefer Hungary/Iceland to Croatia. And then it could be a QF v France - but I am wearing my optimist's hat. Strange for Roy to assume the mantle of 'Tinkerman' but it could have resulted in a perverse piece of luck for a better draw.

I'd be happy with either Hungary or Iceland. Preferably the latter. On paper we should beat either. I also think we're a better side than Portugal but wouldn't want to test that quite yet.

Bar a shocking first half against Wales, I think we've played well in all of the opening 3 games.

Good thing about this England team is that we are hard to beat and if we ever come up against a team who doesn't put 10 men behind the ball (unlike all 3 games so far) then we look good on the counter.

I have a good feeling about this team Roy is building.

Absolutely abysmal, 70% possession with no goals. If Germany or Spain (or Wales even) had the same possession stats, they'd win by 3 or 4.

Watching England is like having sex whilst you're drunk. Lots of banging away without any end result.

Absolutely abysmal, 70% possession with no goals. If Germany or Spain (or Wales even) had the same possession stats, they'd win by 3 or 4.

Did you watch Germany the other night? 0-0 against Poland despite 63% possession. Teams huffing and puffing against sides happy to sit back has been a huge feature of the tournament so far.

That's not to say I'm particularly happy with last night, although it is our failure to beat that **** poor Russian bunch that is really frustrating me.

Played well in all 3 games but the lack of end product has been frustrating. Now it's the knock out stage we need to start putting more of those chances away.

Indeed. We've been completely dominant in all three matches. (Joe Hart even tweeted that he's had nothing to do for three matches, which is pretty much true.) The only area that needs to improve is the finishing.

Yesterday was difficult because, on the rare occasions Slovakia actually committed more than one player forward, we were too slow to attack. Most of the time they had at least 10 players in their own third. The commentators were amazed at how many last ditch blocks the Slovaks put in, but when you have 10 defenders in the box it's not so amazing.

I'll re-iterate what I have said all along: this tournament is probably 2 years too early for this very young squad, and I see huge potential in it.

For all that, it is worth pointing out that this was a starting 11 with 6 changes, and gave some of the fringe players some much needed game time that might (note I only said might) work to our advantage in the long run. There was never any real danger in finishing 3rd in the group so we were assured of qualification in either first or 2nd. I think Roy and his team would have sat down said "what is the worst that can happen?" The worst was a 2nd place finish and a game against either Hungary, Iceland, Portugal or Austria. None of those fill me with dread any more than the likely 3rd place finishers in groups A, C, or D. So giving these players some game time wasn't really a gamble, and could work to our advantage when we really need it.

Turgid rubbish, though the real problem was the Russia game where they were there for the taking and he brought on Milner and Wilshire. Our crossing last night was awful, the players seem confused by the changing in systems. Smalling got away with murder too. As it happens we might actually have a fairly easy last 16 but I dont think many teams will fear us. WHo cares about how much possession we have, its about putting the ball in the net. In three major tournaments Roy has won two games!

You told us we wouldn't get anywhere near the semi finals. We're now only 1 game away from being near to that. What exactly did you tell us?

England are nowhere near as good a tournament team as you and many others seem to think.

Why? When are you going to answer my question?

It might help if you just repeated the question rather than just banging on about not getting an answer.

I thought England played pretty well last night, passed it about nicely and created chances. It is difficult to break teams down when they have ten men behind the ball and credit to Slovakia they defended well, particularly from set-pieces. Was more disappointed about the Russia game. Thought Clyne played well, Vardy was lively in the first half but quiet in the second, Lallana and Sturridge linked up nicely at times. Would liked to have seen Barkley come on at some point as he can create that bit of magic, Henderson and Wilshere were poor I thought.

We've qualified that's the main thing, on paper we should still have a relatively favourable second round match, even Portugal wouldn't be that bad. Just a shame the match will be on Monday night instead of Saturday night in Paris.

I agree with many here that it was the Russia game that cost us 1st place in the group. I blame RH's subs for that one. But he's got us through the group without losing a game so credit to him for that.

We couldn't have done much more against Slovakia. On another day we would have put at least 1 of those chances away (Vardy and Sturridge's are 2 that come to mind) if not more.

I'm not sure Vardy should be used against teams that are going to sit back and let England have the ball. He's at his best when he has space to run onto from quick counter attacks. England can't do that against the likes of Russia, Slovakia and although they won the group, Wales.

Part of me wants us to draw Portugal just so we can see how good this attack of ours is. But another part of me remembers all the times they have knocked us out before.

Watching England is like having sex whilst you're drunk. Lots of banging away without any end result.

Did you see Spain vs Czech Republic? 70% possession and they nick it 1-0 at the end through the centre-half.

With 24 teams and 3 points being enough to get through teams are happy to stick ten men behind the ball against the bigger sides. And if they do that then it is very difficult to get by them and create chances.

Ignoring the delight from certain quarters that we didn't run away with the group, I'm relatively happy with where things are as tournaments and the teams playing in them tend to evolve. We're now set up perfectly for what's to come.

In 3 games, we've had 3 teams park their buses to thwart our attacking intent and, bar wales, they've been successful. Anyone with even a passing interest in football should know how difficult it is to break through when teams put 10 men behind the ball and the number of late goals in the tournament are pretty much a testament to that. Granted, against Russia, we should have done better even though you'd have to consider us very unlucky to have come out of that one with just a point.

You could argue we got what we deserved against Wales but not against Russia and Slovakia, but the argument only holds so much water. Whatever the opposition are doing (and playing for a draw is a valid approach), you need to create and take chances.

Either way though, it all might well have played into our hands. If as it seems we'll be playing Hungary, Iceland or Portugal, I believe these teams will also predominantly sit back. Portugal certainly did at Wembley and we struggled to break them down. In a tournament game with Ronaldo back in the team, they may be more adventurous but then we're a better side in a more open game. Point is, we're well set to play against a team that plays a more open game but, if they want to sit back, we've just been through three real-tournament practice games to work out how to do it. We might not have cracked it 100% but we've certainly had a chance to work out some of the kinks. The group stage might have been very kind to us in a number of ways.

Ignoring the delight from certain quarters that we didn't run away with the group, I'm relatively happy with where things are as tournaments and the teams playing in them tend to evolve. We're now set up perfectly for what's to come.

In 3 games, we've had 3 teams park their buses to thwart our attacking intent and, bar wales, they've been successful. Anyone with even a passing interest in football should know how difficult it is to break through when teams put 10 men behind the ball and the number of late goals in the tournament are pretty much a testament to that. Granted, against Russia, we should have done better even though you'd have to consider us very unlucky to have come out of that one with just a point.

You could argue we got what we deserved against Wales but not against Russia and Slovakia, but the argument only holds so much water. Whatever the opposition are doing (and playing for a draw is a valid approach), you need to create and take chances.

Either way though, it all might well have played into our hands. If as it seems we'll be playing Hungary, Iceland or Portugal, I believe these teams will also predominantly sit back. Portugal certainly did at Wembley and we struggled to break them down. In a tournament game with Ronaldo back in the team, they may be more adventurous but then we're a better side in a more open game. Point is, we're well set to play against a team that plays a more open game but, if they want to sit back, we've just been through three real-tournament practice games to work out how to do it. We might not have cracked it 100% but we've certainly had a chance to work out some of the kinks. The group stage might have been very kind to us in a number of ways.

Completely agree. I think the fact that we are very difficult to beat means we are 3/4 of the way to being contenders for World Cups/ European Championships. We get better at finishing our chances and we would be a real force.

I think it is pretty unlikely that we will play Portugal. From what I can tell it would require both final group games to finish draws but for Portugal to score two or more goals MORE than Iceland. So I imagine it will be one of the other three sides.

I actually think if we can get through the second round and run into France in the last eight we'd match up very well with them. I wouldn't fancy us against Germany or Italy but think England on the counter would cause France a big problem and Cahill & Smalling are perfect to play against Giroud.

I think it is pretty unlikely that we will play Portugal. From what I can tell it would require both final group games to finish draws but for Portugal to score two or more goals MORE than Iceland. So I imagine it will be one of the other three sides.

I actually think if we can get through the second round and run into France in the last eight we'd match up very well with them. I wouldn't fancy us against Germany or Italy but think England on the counter would cause France a big problem and Cahill & Smalling are perfect to play against Giroud.

Portugal would need to win to stand any chance of winning the group. A draw would be nowhere near enough

Back