• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Euro 2016

The Telegraph claim that Roy will decide between Townsend and Sturridge as one of his final unsure spots on the plane. Surely, unless there are still concerns that Sturridge isn't fully recovered, he has got to be going?! Apparently Roy is also concerned about how he would react to being the 4th choice striker.

This has got to be one of the most open tournaments in a long time. Germany stuttering in recent months, although mostly friendlies, France shoddy at the back, particularly without Varane, Laporte and Sakho, Spain going through a transition, Italy lacking the right blend of experience and quality, Belgium always struggling on the big stage, Portugal a one man band, England poor defensively, then you're out to the likes of Croatia, Austria, Poland, etc... And Holland didn't even qualify!

The Telegraph claim that Roy will decide between Townsend and Sturridge as one of his final unsure spots on the plane. Surely, unless there are still concerns that Sturridge isn't fully recovered, he has got to be going?! Apparently Roy is also concerned about how he would react to being the 4th choice striker.

This has got to be one of the most open tournaments in a long time. Germany stuttering in recent months, although mostly friendlies, France shoddy at the back, particularly without Varane, Laporte and Sakho, Spain going through a transition, Italy lacking the right blend of experience and quality, Belgium always struggling on the big stage, Portugal a one man band, England poor defensively, then you're out to the likes of Croatia, Austria, Poland, etc... And Holland didn't even qualify!

I'd prefer Townsend as we're short of wingers and he's likely to come up with a belter from deep. I like Sturridge when he's fit and mentally on it but what are the odds on that? Since the last World Cup, he's probably missed more games than he's played. And I can't remember him playing much for England in that time either.

It was weak Aussie side with a few players not released by their clubs (particularly the guys earning mega bucks in china) didn't really tell us anything

Rashford and Sturridge in, Drinkwater & Townsend out.

I think Roy's bottled that one a little bit. We're really short out wide and Townsend has finished the season so strongly. He seemed to do well on Friday too with just the 14 minutes he was given. Barkley is very lucky to be going, IMO, and whilst I really rate Sturridge I think if he was going it should have been ahead of Rashford (or Rooney...)

Henderson, Milner, Barkley & Wilshere all incredibly lucky to be on that plane. Sturridge as well but I see him being last choice forward anyway.

Danny Drinkwater has been really hard done to and if I were him I would be fuming Wilshere has going. Done nothing all season and he's made of weetabix. I won't be shocked to see Wilshere injured again in Paris.

I think I'm happy with Wilshere over Drinkwater. The former can be class on his day, whereas the latter is pretty functional. Henderson is quite lucky.

Going forward I think we will create and score plenty.

The defensive side however looks proper ropey.

Cannot see us keeping many clean sheets.

I still don't get the controversy over the Wilshere pick. He's head and shoulders England's best midfielder, he was at the very heart of the team who qualified and he has got an impact injury which is fully healed. He'll have been back close to three months by the time England play Russia and he should be as fit a player as there will be in the whole tournament.

That said I'd probably have taken Drinkwater too as if Dier needs to play defence for any reason we've no one to fil in for him. It really is an unbalanced squad.

I still don't get the controversy over the Wilshere pick. He's head and shoulders England's best midfielder, he was at the very heart of the team who qualified and he has got an impact injury which is fully healed. He'll have been back close to three months by the time England play Russia and he should be as fit a player as there will be in the whole tournament.

That said I'd probably have taken Drinkwater too as if Dier needs to play defence for any reason we've no one to fil in for him. It really is an unbalanced squad.

Agree with every word of that

Agree with the comments above, it never seems to work taking players making their way back from injury. Too many strikers, too many 'number 10s' and one winger. Roy is making the classic mistake of selecting what he sees as his best players and then fitting a system around them, and not the other way round.

Agree with the comments above, it never seems to work taking players making their way back from injury. Too many strikers, too many 'number 10s' and one winger..

I do agree with this and we've obviously been burned a fair few times (Beckham, Rooney, etc) and that would be my reservation with Henderson but I think Wilshere is slightly different because of the type of injury and the fact that he has been back in full training for so long.

He would have had more than three club games under his belt if he played for a different Club - he just couldn't get back in the team at Arsenal.

Back