• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's not about whether I'd have preferred us to score more goals. Of course, I love a goal, me.

The point I felt I made well was that scoring goals doesn't help if the required shift in team set-up means you also ship as many at the other end. Commit more at the front, you've got less committed at the back. It's a fairly balanced equation. If you just had to turn the taps on at the other end, everyone would be doing it and we'd be watching a game of basketball.

The. Top. Six. Has. Two. Teams. Who. Scored. Less. Than. We. Have.
There's. No. Evidence. That. Teams. Set. Up. To. Score. More. Goals. Will. Be. More. Successful.

Sadly I think the argument about whether we are defensive and should be more attacking is somewhat missing the point. I do not believe, for the most part, that we are defensive. I do think we sit deep too often when we have a slender lead but am not convinced that's totally by instruction.

The issue is that we do not convert enough of our attacking play. We can keep the same balance as now but need to have a little more nous in the final third. Sometimes our forward play yo-yo's between hapless and hopeless. We probably do not need to attack more than we do but need to know more how to attack with decisive penetration.

Good news ( I think). With my two penny worth thrown in.

Plus points for me are that PB is tactically aware, I have read on many opposition forums how, especially earlier in the season, and away from home how they thought that PB had better tactics than the opposition. I have not attended many of these games and am only quoting opposition forums after we had played them.

Sometimes the constant changing of shape during games confuses our players (and maybe PB too)

He did get us promoted, and I keep reading on here that it was by the skin of our teeth, and you would almost think that these posters would rather we hadn't got promoted. Well there were 19 other teams who would rather have got promoted by the skin of their teeth.

I have had the privilege of meeting PB a couple of times, and to me he seems an amenable chap who likes his football, and doesn't come across as the media limelight grabber some on here think ( my speak as I find feeling)

My hope here is his ( and SUFC's) media attention is somewhat off-set against his wages.

Negative points for me are goal scoring, and defensive tactics (but you can only play to your strengths against oppositions with better players)

The arguably better players in our team Bentley, Payne and Lenny are not his signings, and these would be the only possible players we would get fees for (in an ideal world) notwithstanding the rules on age, length of contracts etc.

His previous records in management against addressing a slide in the table (which we are currently on) and it would surprise me if we don't win again this season.

On to next season, the first few weeks , any new signings, who leaves, and who stays will determine our season, and if we get off to a bad start this might not be such good news as I hope it is.

UTB

So he didn't get the job then.

Still he tried hard.

Better luck next time.

As I said elsewhere, I struggle to understand the negativity towards PB. He got us promoted in absolutely the best possible way (however hard it was on our nerves) last season. He's raised and continues to raise our profile every time he appears on TV. He's consolidated us for a season in L1, given himself a chance to assess a lot of those we brought up from L2.

I am PLEASED he's committed, delighted that he is keen to promote the club around the town and to support the club in activities in the community.

Have a good Summer Phil, and let's look forward to a new season.

I would like to see a shift in recruitment though....up and coming players please, smattering of yoofs who are good enough of course. Looking forward to the summer now. Right behind ya phil

At least we now know - I for one think it is not as bad as everyone thinks.
He has got a job on his hands and I think we will be seeing lots of changes over the summer time with new faces coming on board and old ones departing.
Most importantly let's hope that Jack Payne now signs.
It seems we have him for at least another season so let's get behind him and support the team.
The only thing I don't like about him is that he always has a better tan than me ��

Bolton decided they wanted Chris Wilder. That's why he is staying. As lots have said ... He has work to do to turn us into contenders. Over a season we fell short. He must work out his eleven. Look at Leicester and Spurs. The team picks itself

OK, fine, bit of a screw up by club and PB and team over past two months but I can live with that as its just something we are used to at Roots Hall ........ but if come Feb 17 we are doing well and PB 'attracts interest' and PB then gives out 'mixed messages' again then ......... well lets just say PB will be less loved than Mr Fry. Don't want to be hearing that Shirley Bassey number.

When I read the headlines of the story it reminded me of a reverse of the "vote of confidence" from a board - a sure sign that the manager would get canned very soon!:blush:

I really think it's strange people believe the quote saying that he is staying and it's all done and dusted......it's happened many times, with players and management, agents call the shots....if the deal is right he will be gone, forget the I am staying...

Must admit I am quite pleased by this news, just a shame it wasn't clarified sooner - onwards and upwards !

So here's the plan;

We all get behind the team tomorrow, create a positive atmosphere - no animosity towards PB, we witness our best performance of the season, 3 points in the bag, Payne signs a long term deal after the game...

RM gives PB a million budget after banking a huge sum from the Dan Bentley tribunal,

Next season Jack P bosses every game, we storm into the Championship, the emergence of young Smith and Jack Bridge et al have the football writers raving about our new wave of wonder kids.. Liverpool bid 10 mill for Jack P... PB invests the money in some seasoned Pros, and the youth talents still keeps coming through, FF is finally built, we storm the Championship and into the PL... At this point I wake up!

Nearly as odd as that dream I had about Leicester City winning the Premiership...

And this has never happened to any other club?

You have to make your own luck to benefit from it...

Exactly, if the referee had given us the penalty for the shove on Corr, which was blatant, it would never have got that far but people love claiming we were lucky to get promoted and by the skin of our teeth. Well guess what, it doesn't matter, what matters is that we DID get promoted!!!!

It's nice to finally know what Brown is actually doing. It would have been useful if he'd just said this weeks ago. Oh hang on, now it's pretty clear that Bolton don't want him, he decides that he is staying. :facepalm:

Seriously, this whole saga is like a married bloke who is trying to have an affair with a girl from work and gets a knock back. His wife finds out and he announces he's a family man.

On his managerial talent, hopefully we will get some youths come through or Sturrock can advise on some signings for the necessary rebuild. Brown has been poor at recruitment. As a division above where we were, it's amazing that our 4 or 5 best players were with us last year

Back