• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Because they/you have a revolving door management policy?

Given the likely tribunal fee of circa £500k including performances up to 60 games you have to assume Huddersfield wouldn't spend that on someone they won't play (I don't think they are that awash with cash).

Assuming the money will be much better but lower half of Championship carries the risk of ending up where you started (as does not making the team and hence being seen as more suited to L1).

Not sure he has much choice currently as I don't see him going to Holland- and the interest from wolves and Ipswich hasn't come to anything yet (all be it that not to say his agent isn't taking to them- via e-mail we assume..)

Hi, Ipswich fan in peace here!

Saw the news yesterday that Jack Payne was all but set to join Huddersfield, however, been reported round our way this morning that we are still very much looking to bring him to Portman Road ... not sure if any of you have heard the same?

Given how we have a shed load of centre mids at the club already, i'm not sure where Payne would fit in personally ... or does he play out wide? Were in need of at least 4 wingers this summer, so wouldn't surprise me if Mick looked to sign him and play him out on the wing.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/29661/town-continuing-payne-pursuit

Cheers,
ITFC

He wont be anywhere near as effective as a Centre mid, I dont think he's ever played there in our first team but he did play there in the youth team. It seemed to take a while for the penny to drop with Phil Brown but he is best in the number 10 role

He wont be anywhere near as effective as a Centre mid, I dont think he's ever played there in our first team but he did play there in the youth team. It seemed to take a while for the penny to drop with Phil Brown but he is best in the number 10 role

Yes, he's not a midfielder- at least not unless you play 451. Things you won't get- someone who can tackle, defend, head a ball. However, without defensive responsibilities he can make things happen (certainly in L1) and is clearly best either alongside or just behind another striker. Ideally in a free role- whether a Championship side would allow him that is another thing.

If you are seriously interested then I can only assume you are already in talks with his agent and will come to us to discuss compensation. Obviously Phil and Mick have a strong relationship so there might be the opportunity for some creative discussions. I would have thought he would prefer Ipswich to Huddersfield for geographic if not footballing reasons but you need to pull your finger out.

Have we all forgotten how Mick McCarthy ruined Freddy's career by stifling him/playing him out of position? Wouldn't advise Payne to play for him.

Was about to post exactly the same thing :angry:

Yes, he's not a midfielder- at least not unless you play 451. Things you won't get- someone who can tackle, defend, head a ball. However, without defensive responsibilities he can make things happen (certainly in L1) and is clearly best either alongside or just behind another striker. Ideally in a free role- whether a Championship side would allow him that is another thing.

If you are seriously interested then I can only assume you are already in talks with his agent and will come to us to discuss compensation. Obviously Phil and Mick have a strong relationship so there might be the opportunity for some creative discussions. I would have thought he would prefer Ipswich to Huddersfield for geographic if not footballing reasons but you need to pull your finger out.

Thanks for that. We do seem pretty stacked up in the creative midfield positions at the moment, but Mick did come out the other day and said our midfielders don't score enough and it's an area he's looking to improve on this summer. As you say (and I only found out today) i'm sure if we was seriously interested, then Brown would put in a good word for us.

I would say one person alone was responsible for Freddy's career stagnating at Wolves (and subsequently Coventry), and that person is not Mick McCarthy.

Given Ipswich's attacking options I suspect Payne would struggle to command a first team place there but a number of players will have prospered under McCarthy (Aaron Creswell for example??) and Payne does look to have a professional attitude and good work ethic.

Jack Payne has looked good the second half of this season but when you look at the squads for the top half championship teams it does highlight what he is up against. Huddersfield would seem a better fit for him now
Utterly disagree with you on this one Feathers,McCarthy seems to think a kick up the arse is what every player needs to improve his display. Eastwood was already being played out of position before he got injured. Imo dont go anywhere that man JP, the man could have an argument in an empty room.

Can't believe we appear to be losing Payn£ to a crap Championship team. If someone decent had come in for him then I probably wouldn't have as many ill feelings towards him. With some good summer signings, there's no reason we can't be fighting for promotion next season. Instead he's shafting the club who have done nothing but invest time and effort into him to go to bloody Huddersfield?!

He's been poorly advised by his agent and the dream move hasn't materialised. He'd be better off signing a new deal with us, letting Brown build the team around him and having a good crack at getting promotion next season. If we don't, he's free to leave and has given us the opportunity to negotiate ourselves a decent fee.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I've lost a lot of respect for the lad after all this. Although I fear a greedy agent is more to blame than Jack.

Have we all forgotten how Mick McCarthy ruined Freddy's career by stifling him/playing him out of position? Wouldn't advise Payne to play for him.

It was Coventry that tried to turn him into a midfield player. He was played upfront at Wolves, usually from the subs bench once his early goals there dried up and he found himself contending for striking roles with Bothroyd, Keogh and Ebanks-Blake.

Can we move this to ex-players thread, I know technically he is still ours, but he is as good as gone, and I for one am sick of reading about him.

Can't believe we appear to be losing Payn£ to a crap Championship team. If someone decent had come in for him then I probably wouldn't have as many ill feelings towards him. With some good summer signings, there's no reason we can't be fighting for promotion next season. Instead he's shafting the club who have done nothing but invest time and effort into him to go to bloody Huddersfield?!

He's been poorly advised by his agent and the dream move hasn't materialised. He'd be better off signing a new deal with us, letting Brown build the team around him and having a good crack at getting promotion next season. If we don't, he's free to leave and has given us the opportunity to negotiate ourselves a decent fee.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I've lost a lot of respect for the lad after all this. Although I fear a greedy agent is more to blame than Jack.

Poor little Jack, all he did was change to a more aggressive and ruthless agent from his old one. Now look what happens, he moves on for a lot more money. That's the last thing he wanted.

Can we just get over this idea that he's shafting this club. He's out of contract and he's free to move on. We might not like it. We might even convince ourselves that another year with us is best for his career. But he has options and like everyone else in life he's entitled to look at them and make his own decision. If he can move up the ladder and earn more money in doing so, only time will tell if it was the right or wrong call.

Jack Payne isn't shafting us by not agreeing to sign a new contract with us any more than we're shafting Kevan Hurst by not agreeing to sign a new one with him.

We can't have it both ways.

I for one am sick of reading about him.

The clue is in the thread title.... ;-)

Utterly disagree with you on this one Feathers,McCarthy seems to think a kick up the arse is what every player needs to improve his display. Eastwood was already being played out of position before he got injured. Imo dont go anywhere that man JP, the man could have an argument in an empty room.

As far as I remember he didn't get picked by McCarthy because he didn't put the effort in in training. Apparently the same was true and Southend, but we couldn't afford to drop him.

Can we just get over this idea that he's shafting this club. He's out of contract and he's free to move on. We might not like it. We might even convince ourselves that another year with us is best for his career. But he has options and like everyone else in life he's entitled to look at them and make his own decision. If he can move up the ladder and earn more money in doing so, only time will tell if it was the right or wrong call.

Jack Payne isn't shafting us by not agreeing to sign a new contract with us any more than we're shafting Kevan Hurst by not agreeing to sign a new one with him.

We can't have it both ways.

The clue is in the thread title.... ;-)

Oh shut up.

He is an evil little oompa lumpa.

Ive got something thats dug a massive burrow under my shed as well, bet that was him too. ****er !

Contracts are contracts, he can do what he likes, would be nice if he wanted to play for us and the fact after finally developing this year into a genuine first team player he wants to leave immediately means he wont leave with a lot of respect from me, but thats the system.

Poor little Jack, all he did was change to a more aggressive and ruthless agent from his old one. Now look what happens, he moves on for a lot more money. That's the last thing he wanted.

I'm sure Ferdinand also got a payrise when he went to Peterborough, but how much is he earning now exactly?

I don't like the fact that he's leaving because I think he can develop into a very good player and want him to do that longer with us.
However , I have no issues with him moving on and trying to better himself.
It's a short career , and those outside the Prem / Championship have little chance of earning enough to sustain them from 35 to 80.
Why should there be any negativeness surrounding him or anyone.
It's not about loyalty , it's about sound , economic judgement.
I'm trying to find reasons for not being bothered and hat is difficult as he was often the only player that lit up a game for us.
Sometimes though he did just run into dead ends , so I'm going to focus on that in order to feel better.

I don't like the fact that he's leaving because I think he can develop into a very good player and want him to do that longer with us.
However , I have no issues with him moving on and trying to better himself.
It's a short career , and those outside the Prem / Championship have little chance of earning enough to sustain them from 35 to 80.
Why should there be any negativeness surrounding him or anyone.
It's not about loyalty , it's about sound , economic judgement.

I'm trying to find reasons for not being bothered and hat is difficult as he was often the only player that lit up a game for us.
Sometimes though he did just run into dead ends , so I'm going to focus on that in order to feel better.

Hell hath no fury like a football fan scorned.

There are a lot of mean-spirited and small-minded people about.

Average worker earning 30k,has the opportunity to double his salary,worker off like a rocket without any care toward his work mates,workmates say "lucky so and so and I don't blame him/her"

Southend footballer does the same thing and it's carnage.

madmadmad.

Back