• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Sunday brings our league season to a close with an away fixture with Bury FC. Neither team has much to play for with Bury being one place and two points below us. It will be interesting to see whether Bolger is allowed to play against us, does anyone know what that situation is?

As for the team, I would start with most of the original starting eleven against Bradford, but with Bridge and Hunt getting a start in place of Atkinson and Mooney. What a difference from last season when our games with Bury had the promotion edge about them. That said both teams have established themselves in FL1.

So my eleven is:

Smith
White Barrett Malarczyk Coker
McLaughlin Kamara Leonard Bridge
Hunt Barnett

and 1-1 feels about the most likely score.

..... and Kettle in charge. Full details in due course.

Think this could be a high scoring game, love to see us win but I'm going for a 3-2 loss:sad:

Malarczyk is better than Thommo, we need to get him permanently. This is the same for Kamara - he really sparks up play (he needs to start shooting though :hilarious:). Bridge definitely needs a start, he's our next Jack Payne and he needs as much first team experience as possible. Could PB play 4-5-1, with Hunt up top and Barnett on the bench (as to be honest i really don't feel he deserves a place in the first team)? Why not give Kevan Hurst a go - it's been a while, and if he performs well then renew his contract. Moussa I feel should get given a go - same as Kevan Hurst, if he performs get him signed up!

Smith
Oniel Piotr Barrett Coker
Bridge Leonard Kamara MaCaughlin
Hunt Barnett

1-0, no idea who to, proberly them

Is it just me or does anyone else not like the concept of play well in one game and you will win a contract even if you have been distinctly average in the other 45 games?. Phil has intimated this recently on occassions and I'm thinking really? Let's take Weston as an imaginary example. He comes on and has one cracking end of season game. He actually finds the net. He is signed up for 3 years, whilst previously having his worst spell of performances for two years and his worst goalscoring spell for 9 years.

Doubt very much McLaughlin will be playing. He was at the Trust Awards last night with one of those boot things on his (right, I think) leg.

With the loss of Worrall too, for me that means either Weston or Hurst need to start.

Smith
White, the Ipswich guy (will have to learn how to spell his name if he stays!), Barrett, Coker
Hurst, Leonard, Bridge, Timlin (if fit, Kamara if not)
Hunt, Barnett

Hunt can play a similar role to what Jack has played this season...IF we can keep him fit.

Is it just me or does anyone else not like the concept of play well in one game and you will win a contract even if you have been distinctly average in the other 45 games?. Phil has intimated this recently on occassions and I'm thinking really? Let's take Weston as an imaginary example. He comes on and has one cracking end of season game. He actually finds the net. He is signed up for 3 years, whilst previously having his worst spell of performances for two years and his worst goalscoring spell for 9 years.

You'll be pleased to know this doesn't happen at Southend. The players who may not be resigned will have been told months ago and have been given a chance to show what they can do to earn a contract with us or with someone else.

Doubt very much McLaughlin will be playing. He was at the Trust Awards last night with one of those boot things on his (right, I think) leg.

When isn't he bloody injured? Get shot of him, Hunt and Wordsworth in the summer. We've signed too many crocks who've been out for half the season. We need quality over quantity.

As for Bury,

Smith
O'Neil Malacycz Barrett Coker
Hurst Kamara Leonard Bridge
Mooney Williams

all jokes aside with Williams we might as well give the lad a crack in an actual first team game from the start rather than a poxy friendly. Bridge was playing on the wing for Chelmsford and getting a lot of success so I've not just suggested that as a square peg in a round hole

Indeed from what I've heard coming out of Chelmsford, Bridge is less of a Payne 'number 10' and more of a Gower-type that plays wide and likes to cut in.

McLaughlin injured again. How many injuries is that this season? Agree with Ayrshire, Brown's signings this year have spent more time with Ben Clarkson than on the pitch. I know a club of our stature has to take damaged goods but it's getting ridiculous now.

And how many ex-Southend players in the Bury team?

Mayor, P Clarke, L Clarke and Bolger.

I would allow Bolger to play (if Bury we committing to signing him) or not allow him to play if I thought this would disrupt their team more and 3 points to us gets us to a higher finishing position. On balance I would say "no".

With the loss of Worrall too, for me that means either Weston or Hurst need to start.

Smith
White, the Ipswich guy (will have to learn how to spell his name if he stays!), Barrett, Coker
Hurst, Leonard, Bridge, Timlin (if fit, Kamara if not)
Hunt, Barnett

Hunt can play a similar role to what Jack has played this season...IF we can keep him fit.
He's not according to Timms himself last night. He's hoping to be back for pre-season.

With the two Clarkes playing for Bury I cannot see anything other than either or both scoring and a defeat. Which would mean that the season finishes with four straight defeats. Right now the team appears not to have the self belief to win. This has been such a sad end to a season which at one point promised much more. Some serious strengthening needed in the close season to avoid a scrap near the bottom of the table next term. And some better luck on the injury front. Too many important players missing for significant periods this season.

Moussa will play...

However, he looks certain to figure this weekend in a game Brown will also use to take a look at a few things for next season.

“One or two will be getting a chance and one or two will be used in slightly different roles as well,”

“But it’s still very much a game we want to win so that we can end the season on a high.”

Cian Bolger, who is on loan at Bury from Blues, has been denied permission to play in the game."

Doubt Hurst and Weston will be here next season (and shouldnt be). Give soem of the youth players a chance. See if Piotr is worth a contract and if Hunt can last the game without gettign injured!

Moussa and Bridge makes 2 new faces in midfield, Piotr and Smith would add 2 further recent changes to the team and what about Loza starting or perhaps Hunt and Barnett?

Back