• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zeuss

Manager
Think we might get some interesting views while trying to compare their starts in the team.I think Ted is looking at least as good as Daniel did back then,when he was put in too soon ahead of Paul Smith.
Ted has done well in both these last 2 games.At Wigan he might just have parried the ball away better when making some of his full-length saves and arguably Daniel might have got his fingertips to the Brad City goal.
A big plus,however,is that Ted,despite his England recognition,shows none of the arrogance that may well have been a major factor in Daniel's regression this season.

Imagine the scenario of Teddy doing really well for us and Daniel going to a higher level club and sitting on the bench.

Who may play for England sooner ?

To be fair to Bentley the arrogance comes with confidence and playing games, Bentley certainly didn't have that when he first became number 1. GK's are a special breed and do require a certain amount of confidence as long as it doesn't boarder on over confidence.

Let's not forget Ted had a few games last year as well when I thought he did well. To be picked to represent your country at any age shows you have ability, but it will come down to attitude.

I'm not sure anyone who was at Walsall the other week will agree with your comments on 'regression'. I've not seen a young footballer with as good an attitude as Bentley for a long time. Always professional and if there has been arrogance it has helped give him a real presence and his defenders trust him completely. This is why I have no doubt Bentley will play at a very high level in the future. Good luck to him.

from talking with goal keeping coaches at my sons SUFC training, the general opinion is that Ted is the better keeper, or certainly at this age and obviously has England U20 caps to his name. Think he needs to bulk up a bit though, at times he looked like a 15 year old against Bradford at corners

Ted needs to get himself in the gym this summer and do some upper body work and then he'll be fine. At the same age Bentley still looked like a little boy

Body confidence. Like Scott says, Ted needs to bulk up a bit and then he too will carry himself like Dan does. It's not arrogance, it's self assurance - there's a huge difference, and it's imperative to being a good GK.

Ted's strength will come naturally with age but it won't do him any harm to get on the roids in the mean time.

Ted needs to get himself in the gym this summer and do some upper body work and then he'll be fine. At the same age Bentley still looked like a little boy

He does need to bulk up, Bentley looked bigger and stronger than Ted does when he was the same age. Got the team pics on my wall and even in Sturrocks team Bentley physically looked the part and he was no where near the first team then.

He does need to bulk up, Bentley looked bigger and stronger than Ted does when he was the same age. Got the team pics on my wall and even in Sturrocks team Bentley physically looked the part and he was no where near the first team then.

I'm going back a little further than that. When Dan used to do the warm up with Mildenhall he looked like a schoolboy and in fairness he probably was! Lol

If Ted applies the same attitude and commitment Dan did then I'm sure we'll see a similar change in his frame and stature.

im just happy we have 2 young keepers at the club and one about to depart (Bentley ) who may i say put in his time withthe club and i wish him every success in the future.As with the two at the club Smith and Bexon i hope they can both surpass Bentley and have great careers ,but most of al i hope they will do as bentley has done and play at least 150 games in SUFC first team befor they depart.

Sadly, I've not seen anything from Ted to suggest he's ready yet and I think he's a risk right now, albeit I'll be so happy for him to make me choke on those words. I think we missed a trick last year in not sending him out on loan to gain the necessary experience as he'll now have to make those mistakes and do that growing up with us in the first team at League One level.

On the flip side, he'll have seen first hand how Bentley developed mentally and physically so will hopefully have a blueprint for his own progress. Let's hope though, if it's clear that he'll develop over time, that we contract him in a way that doesn't let him walk away like Bentley and Payne.

This might be controversial, but I'd still be tempted to bring in another keeper and give Ted 6 months on loan in League 2.

Sadly, I've not seen anything from Ted to suggest he's ready yet and I think he's a risk right now, albeit I'll be so happy for him to make me choke on those words. I think we missed a trick last year in not sending him out on loan to gain the necessary experience as he'll now have to make those mistakes and do that growing up with us in the first team at League One level.

On the flip side, he'll have seen first hand how Bentley developed mentally and physically so will hopefully have a blueprint for his own progress. Let's hope though, if it's clear that he'll develop over time, that we contract him in a way that doesn't let him walk away like Bentley and Payne.

This might be controversial, but I'd still be tempted to bring in another keeper and give Ted 6 months on loan in League 2.

Depends who your gauging him against. I have seen enough to say he should be our first choice. But I won't spend all season saying Bentley would have saved that, because we know that's exactly what some on here will be doing.

I think it was the right decision to have him on the bench and not on loan. We needed a sub keeper and the whole match day experience will have been good. Ted has faced better players every day in training than he would at a L2 club. Plus our three goal keepers are a very close unit, even on a night out.

The thing is we'll need to bring in a new 'keeper when DB leaves anyway. We're unlikely to get anyone younger than Ted, so we're really looking at a relatively experienced 'keeper. I think PB has to say to whoever comes in that the first choice will be decided on form and ability. That way whoever comes in doesn't think he's come here to sit on the bench, and Ted doesn't think he's nailed on for the shirt.

Get someone in, and let them fight it out.

A lot has been said about Ted needing to bulk up and I don't disagree, I do think that there has been a noticeable increase in his size in the last year though so think he is on the right track.

Back