• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

With the season over we are now awaiting news of which players are going to stay and which are moving on.

And the midfield is crucial - either in shielding the defence or (hopefully) linking with the strikers .......... and we have had season in midfield - players out of form or injured for example.

So who do you want to stay or go out of ........ my comments below ...................

McLaughlin - good player but perhaps too injury prone
Hurst - thanks but time to move on
Timlin - keep - must be a better season next year
Worrall - keep if he wants to stay, that is
Wordsworth - 50/50 - injuries have not helped this season
Leonard - keep and get back to full fitness
Atkinson - 50/50 - I could be persuaded either way
Deegan - 50/50 - I could be persuaded either way
Bridge - contracted to stay - big year ahead
Moussa - sign up please

McLaughlin - Great player, very unfortunate with injuries this year and think it's more bad luck than injury prone long term
Hurst - Committed but last had a "good" game in 2013
Timlin - Like McLaughlin, unfortunate season, hopefully can get over the niggles with a prolonged break and will be back to his best
Worrall - Great player on his day, if he wants to go it'll be a shame but can't stand in his way
Wordsworth - Showed glimpses of his quality but again unfortunate with injuries and played too deep to be at his best
Leonard - Behind Bentley and Payne, him and Coker are our best players, really missed him when he was injured
Atkinson - Hard worker but don't think he brings much quality to the side, if there was an offer I wouldn't be gutted to see him go
Deegan - Something different and a bit of steel, we have enough to do this summer so would keep him on and upgrade next summer
Bridge - Massive year ahead of him, fingers crossed he can break through, definitely got the potential
Moussa - If he's fit and a reasonable wage, could be one of, if not the, best player we've got

McLaughlin - Get him fit Ben, I think he is ok. Keep
Hurst - Bye Kevan
Timlin - With a good pre-season he will be important to us. Keep
Worrall - I really rate Wozza. Keep
Wordsworth - Another one I rate. Send him on a 'don't be a lazy *******' course, and he'll do for me. Keep
Leonard - No brainer, keep and make him Captain.
Atkinson - Time to go I think.
Deegan - Same as Atko, not a 1st team starter for me.
Bridge - Needs to be nurtured into the first team. Keep
Moussa - sign up please

The reason I rated Atkinson as 50/50 is that I completely understand the fustrations at a player that takes too long to control the ball, look up and then pass ...... and then the pass is sideways or backwards.

However, in a balanced midfield having a player that sits and blocks off opposition players can be a real asset - especially if other midfielders go on the attack. And he runs and runs.

McLaughlin - Is made of papier mache. He's under contract so won't be going anywhere.
Hurst - Great servant but just doesn't seem to have recaptured his excellent form of 2012/13. Sad but would be released.
Timlin - Needs a bit of luck with injuries, really has had a stop-start season but when he's played, we've generally won. Keep.
Worrall - Would be gutted to see him go, but I fear he will. On his day a terrific player but lacked confidence in front of goal this year.
Wordsworth - I like him but he needs to improve his work-rate if he's going to be a real asset in the middle. He has the physical and technical skills to be a real catalyst for good things but Brown needs to get him to put in more of a shift.
Leonard - Fantastic season, no coincidence our form dropped when he got injured. Build side around him.
Atkinson - Strange as I never foresaw him playing much this year but he's had a good season. For me though he's a L2 player and again reluctantly I'd say goodbye.
Deegan - Jury is out. Offers us something different but clearly not influential enough in the destroyer role in a second half of the season where we have leaked goals all over the shop. Goodbye.
Bridge - High hopes for him as long as he keeps his feet on the ground and keeps working hard. Looks a decent technical player and Chelmsford fans raved about him. Would ease him in but keep him in and around the first team. No loans for you this year young man.
Moussa - Really hoping for the best on this one. Usually dead against us signing former players but he has unfinished business here due to the circumstances he left in, and he's the sort of player that can get you off your seat with a bit of magic. Every football fan deserves to have a Moussa to watch every Saturday and I hope we can persuade him to stay and keep him fit. He is a gamble worth taking.

Why are we considering all of the above players? Some of them are under contract so, for me, none of these will be going anywhere - that's Leonard, Wordsworth, McLaughlin, Timlin, Atkinson and Bridge.

Of those out of contract - or with possible extensions - we're left with Hurst, Worrall, Deegan and Moussa. Deegan will be staying. I expect Worrall to go and both of the other two I would offer a one year contract to.

McLaughlin , struggle to make up my mind, given constant injury problems, there is potentially a good player in there, f he can get a minimum of 30 games in otherwise goodbye after next year
Hurst , must move on
Timln , injury problems I know, but probably past his best , especially if we are looking to Championship. Lost the creativity, fails to score enough goals, time to move on
Wordsworth has talent, but to lazy, unaffordable luxury in context of energetic midfield, defending and tackling, would like to see him off the books
Leonard, clearly our best midfielder and better able to chase down and tackle defensively than practically anyone else in league
Atkinson, I would keep for squad, given energy and enthusiasm, could still develop further
Deegan has improved both his game and image, gutsy and steely commitment, keep him
Bridge fine young talent, look forward to seeing him develop
Moussa all depends on the injury, would add class at this level

Wow, a thread in which I concur with the vast majority of sentiments towards theses players; none of which are wasters but some of which are not the full job for a play off pushing side.
The midfield was, IMO, where we suffered an awful lot last season: insufficient support for the forward(s) and inconsistency of defending/distribution.
If we played a 4 4 2 or 5 3 2 or 3 5 2 whatever I would struggle to decide on the midfield combination, especially in such an injury ravaged group of players.

Why are we considering all of the above players? Some of them are under contract so, for me, none of these will be going anywhere - that's Leonard, Wordsworth, McLaughlin, Timlin, Atkinson and Bridge.

Of those out of contract - or with possible extensions - we're left with Hurst, Worrall, Deegan and Moussa. Deegan will be staying. I expect Worrall to go and both of the other two I would offer a one year contract to.

Players can still be transfer listed or have their contracts mutually cancelled.

If we already have 6 midfielders contracted for next season that doesn't leave room for many more.

With the season over we are now awaiting news of which players are going to stay and which are moving on.

And the midfield is crucial - either in shielding the defence or (hopefully) linking with the strikers .......... and we have had season in midfield - players out of form or injured for example.

So who do you want to stay or go out of ........ my comments below ...................

McLaughlin - good player but perhaps too injury prone
Hurst - thanks but time to move on
Timlin - keep - must be a better season next year
Worrall - keep if he wants to stay, that is
Wordsworth - 50/50 - injuries have not helped this season
Leonard - keep and get back to full fitness
Atkinson - 50/50 - I could be persuaded either way
Deegan - 50/50 - I could be persuaded either way
Bridge - contracted to stay - big year ahead
Moussa - sign up please

100% agree with all of this.

Brown has a good opportunity to have a clear our and build a L1 promotion chasing team. Maybe build a team around Leonard?

Hoping to see Wordsworth at his best next season. I think we all know he is class but can he stay fit!?

I think the general rule is who need x2- so play 2 CB need 4 on the books..
Assuming 442 then we need a minimum of 8 midfielders- and if we occasionally play 451 then maybe 9

We have 7 already Moussa would make 8 (we can then add one very good pacey wideman with goals in them)
We can transfer list of course one or more under contract- but I would want to keep them. Moussa and a min one quality wide man, and more luck with injuries, would leave a pretty strong midfield). BTW if Moussa is 100% then I would have him in the middle (waste out wide)

McLaughlin - under contract
Hurst - gone
Timlin - under contract
Worrall - think he will go
Wordsworth - under contract
Leonard - under contract
Atkinson - under contract
Deegan - under contract
Bridge - under contract
Moussa - sign up please (agree)

Deegan has now left ..... along with Hurst.

So will Brown go for two replacements to bring numbers back up again ......... or just stick with what we have - especially if Moussa will sign.

Baring in mind that we had McQueen and Kamara here on loan as well, I think Brown will be signing replacements.

It seems we now have 6 midfielders, including Bridge, now that Deegan has gone. At one point we were over run with about 12 midfielders. Clearly Phil needs to strengthen here given Mc. Laughlins frailties and Bridge needing a bit of nurturing. We still lack creativity and pace from midfield and whilst i see the talent in Wordsworth , he must be one of the laziest Ive seen, unless the stats prove me wrong. Not a great tackler or great at getting back, lovely to watch at times going forward, but potentially a luxury in midfield. I am also concerned that Timlin might not rage against the night for much longer and may be past his best.
I would like to see much more quality or even fit competition would be nice upfront. A minimum of 5 , would still be less than most other clubs, and again much more competition and quality in defence. Not to much to ask is it?:smile:

It seems we now have 6 midfielders, including Bridge, now that Deegan has gone. At one point we were over run with about 12 midfielders. Clearly Phil needs to strengthen here given Mc. Laughlins frailties and Bridge needing a bit of nurturing. We still lack creativity and pace from midfield and whilst i see the talent in Wordsworth , he must be one of the laziest Ive seen, unless the stats prove me wrong. Not a great tackler or great at getting back, lovely to watch at times going forward, but potentially a luxury in midfield. I am also concerned that Timlin might not rage against the night for much longer and may be past his best.
I would like to see much more quality or even fit competition would be nice upfront. A minimum of 5 , would still be less than most other clubs, and again much more competition and quality in defence. Not to much to ask is it?:smile:

Agree, if I could only do a time warp, and take Mike Marsh out of the freezer I would (my favourite player)

If we want Moussa I suggest any mention of him featuring regularly out wide be ceased (at least until after he has signed..)

from what we (kind of) have at the moment our midfield lines up along the lines of

Worrall Leonard Timlin McLaughlin
Wordsworth

plus Bridge, Moussa and Atkinson who can swap in and out as per.
sort the Worrall situation and, if necessary, replace him and maybe get a back up then that's not bad.

i personally want to see Wordsworth more behind the striker than deep - he needs to be closer to the goal to be most effective i think although he did alright breaking from deep against Col Ewe

I agree with pretty much everything, above, including getting Mike Marsh out of the freezer. :cool:

I like the idea of Wordsworth being a playmaker behind the front two. Funnily enough, a role that Mooney did quite well a couple of times this season.

Wordsworth is a goal threat and I'd fancy him to create and score more goals and FFS make sure he takes the deadball pots at goal and not Cokes. He could be a real threat from a central position.

Add a fit McLauglin out wide and Lenny holding it together from deep and then we just need to strengthen wide right or right of the diamond, if he plays that system.

This would leave Atkinson as a good cover for Lenny, if he gets injured.

All in all, we aren't in too bad a shape, barring injuries.

Back