• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

But this isn't rugby it's football. It's irrelevant what rugby fans do. Segregation is better for atmosphere during competitive games and whilst it doesn't matter so much at friendly games it's unnecessary for away fans to be parading around the home end (which it still is despite it being a friendly) in away colours. Is it really that difficult for them to put down their West Ham replica shirts and wear some normal clothes for one game?

It's human beings mate.

I think in the main you are talking about young kids. It's their parents who should be responsible for their actions.

I'd have liked Barnet and Maidstone away both of good standard who would provide a decent test, oh and both new grounds as well.

Apart from the GWR friendly last year, where we fielded all U21 players.

If that's the case, then I apologise for being wrong. I couldn't go and had no memory of it. It's not the normal way.

It was revealed in the Echo just before the match that it would be the U21s ---- it really affected the gate, and subsequently the takings for Great Wakering.

The money from this friendly helps GWR get through the season.

It is a good job that Southend do not charge Great Wakering "expenses" for coming or it would hardly be worth the match taking place.

A bit of variety would be nice .... for the fans .... but I'm not sure that it is much of a consideration for Browny or the players who are more concerned in building match fitness, getting sharper and trying to get a place in the starting XI.

I understand some of the views about a club sending a development team but given that the youngsters are quite possibly rising stars (and that they still can give us a good game) suggests that they are good opposition. Seeing Southend being outplayed and battered across the pitch in a heavy loss where the mega-stars don't break sweat isn't much entertainment either.

Hash tag: Friendliesaren'tthatmuchgoodanyway

What with Chelmsford now being added to that list, I think there will be only 2 more fixtures (maximum) left on the pre-season calendar, could probably squeeze in a mid week evening game on the 19th or 20th July and a final fixture on Sat 30th July, before the season starts again the following Saturday.

If that is the case, I do hope that they are at the very least a couple of Division 2 teams & no more non league outfits please. I wont hold my breath though.

It was revealed in the Echo just before the match that it would be the U21s ---- it really affected the gate, and subsequently the takings for Great Wakering.

The money from this friendly helps GWR get through the season.

It is a good job that Southend do not charge Great Wakering "expenses" for coming or it would hardly be worth the match taking place.
Well I've been told that SUFC are charging at least one of the teams that they're playing in a friendly so GWR are lucky!

Southend also did the same thing pre-season last year when they played Grays Athletic for their clubs 125th Anniversary game at Mill Field.
Originally we were supposed to be fielding a decent 1st team for the game, & the match was well publicized around the local area (posters, local paper etc for the occasion) only at the 11th hour it was announced that Southend were sending just a random XI consisting of the youth team.
Subsequently, a fair amount of people were put off & they didn't get anywhere near the gate they were originally hoping for.

Well I've been told that SUFC are charging at least one of the teams that they're playing in a friendly so GWR are lucky!

Why would a Football League club feel the need to charge any amateur club money to play them ?

If true, it smacks of a club desperate for money robbing a little club instead of providing them with a big boost to it's finances.

Bloody bad form if it is true.

#robbing*******s

I have to say the person who told me has no reason to lie. I was shocked when they told me. They said SUFC said that's what the cost would be for the first team to come along for the friendly.

Back