• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worrall to leave Blues after rejecting contract offer

Please can we sign somebody soon...I get Fleetwood aren't champions elect, but they've moved and signed 5 players to date.
I get budgetary constraints, awaiting :zzzzz: :zzzzz: tribunal money for Payne and Bentley, getting the right players in etc....but by releasing 5-7 at the end of the season surely makes cash available ?

We have different targets depending on how much money we get from Bentley and Payne and which other players, Worrall for example, are actually leaving.

If we sign players early we would have to go for lesser targets as we would have to assume that we may get no money if say Bentley signs for Rangers.

There seems to be 2 distinct subjects being disussed here. The obvious one is Worrall leaving.

Thanks for your efforts - loved the goal at Bury and the one against Sheff Utd. as highlights. You have some issues but all the best for the future. :thumbsup:

I think Wozza can be replaced ...... but the constant churn of players is fustrating and unhelpful.

The 2nd subject being discussed seems to be around Browny's ability to alienate players.

I have no evidence to back this up but I think this is a factor. Webby was quite a distant and authoritarian manager I believe - and he carried it off. I'm not sure that Browny has the same je ne sais quoi ............. That is not a very good description of quite what I mean but I hope you get the gist ......... please feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

Last edited:
He didn't come out and say this until after Bolton turned him down

Not what was said by some who predicted he was going nowhere. Publicly maybe but internally he was according to those posters saying he was staying. So maybe you are half right- or completely right but only in terms of part of the audience..

Not overly worried as things stand at present. Worrall was a decent player but nothing special. McLaughlin is potentially a far better player if only we can keep him fit. Brown likes a winger but then doesn't want to play them. Let us judge by the start of the season. There is no doubt the squad needed an overhaul and that is certainly going to happen.

We have different targets depending on how much money we get from Bentley and Payne and which other players, Worrall for example, are actually leaving.

If we sign players early we would have to go for lesser targets as we would have to assume that we may get no money if say Bentley signs for Rangers.

This obviously makes sense (although some will say Bentley money would never be reinvested in players by Ron whether wages or fees- we will see).

Lets hope that Rangers (Warburton) are not talking with forked tongue when they make clear that they are absolutely not in for Bentley- inclined to think they are not as there was hardly any need for such a clear denial?

The 2nd subject being discussed seems to be around Browny's ability to alienate players.

I have no evidence to back this up but I think this is a factor. Webby was quite a distant and authoritarian manager I believe - and he carried it off. I'm not sure that Browny has the same je ne sias quoi ............. That is not a very good description of quite what I mean but I hope you get the gist ......... please feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

You don't and nor does anyone else. He may not be the best man manager but I doubt he is anywhere near the worst either and there seem to be remarkably few ex staff and players who have a bad word to say about him. I don't personally think its an issue and see no value in trying to make it one.

I have no evidence to back this up but I think this is a factor. Webby was quite a distant and authoritarian manager I believe - and he carried it off. I'm not sure that Browny has the same je ne sias quoi ............. That is not a very good description of quite what I mean but I hope you get the gist ......... please feel free to tell me how wrong I am.
Good attempt, yes for me Brown tries to play the part and fails. He should concentrate on his strengths not keep doing things to highlight his weaknesses.

So take your pick ....... post no. 67 says "no story here" and post no. 68 agrees with me.

It's good to listen to differing views. :thumbsup: :unsure:

The lad needs to get his head sorted if he's going to be a success anywhere. I've been very much behind him this season but he can't be turning up for training with alcohol in his system when it's not supposed to be. Hopefully Neil Harris might take him in hand a bit more and set him straight about his priorities.

If Payne and Bentley sign somewhere and it has to go to tribunal don't expect money anytime soon.

If Payne and Bentley sign somewhere and it has to go to tribunal don't expect money anytime soon.

Indeed. Burnley only got their tribunal settlement for Danny Ings last month. If we're waiting around to see what we're likely to get for Bentley and Payne before we make any moves in the transfer market then we're well and truly ****ed.

I can't stress enough the absolute enormity of the task at hand for Brown & Co this summer. If those that are expected to leave actually do, then I make it that we have 14 players signed up on first team contracts. That includes the likes of Jack Bridge and Jason Williams, and the plainly unfancied David Mooney. Timlin doesn't appear in Brown's good books either, while John White hasn't exactly endeared himself to many with his performances in the second half of the season. If Moussa signs then great, but you're not going to be getting 40 games out of him or McLaughlin, and probably not Barrett either, next year.

When you process all of that, you see that we need at least eight new signings this season, if not ten. That's a complete squad overhaul and we simply can't be resting on our laurels to identify, negotiate, sign and embed that number of players before August. Make no mistake, this is a phenomenal test of Brown's management.

Not every case takes as long as Ings. I believe Burnley wanted 12M and Liverpool offered 6m. So if you equate that to us, lets say we wanted £1.2 for Bentley and say Bournemouth sign him and offered £0.6. Then at least we have £600,000 to start with.

Indeed. Burnley only got their tribunal settlement for Danny Ings last month. If we're waiting around to see what we're likely to get for Bentley and Payne before we make any moves in the transfer market then we're well and truly ****ed.

I can't stress enough the absolute enormity of the task at hand for Brown & Co this summer. If those that are expected to leave actually do, then I make it that we have 14 players signed up on first team contracts. That includes the likes of Jack Bridge and Jason Williams, and the plainly unfancied David Mooney. Timlin doesn't appear in Brown's good books either, while John White hasn't exactly endeared himself to many with his performances in the second half of the season. If Moussa signs then great, but you're not going to be getting 40 games out of him or McLaughlin, and probably not Barrett either, next year.

When you process all of that, you see that we need at least eight new signings this season, if not ten. That's a complete squad overhaul and we simply can't be resting on our laurels to identify, negotiate, sign and embed that number of players before August. Make no mistake, this is a phenomenal test of Brown's management.

On the other hand we have lost just three (Bentley, Payne, Worrall) players we wanted to keep and most who have gone were not first choice. So therefore we are replacing mainly squad players- so its not necessarily as bad as you paint. However, when we get to the first game of the season we will want to see

1. The best starting 11 is better than last years
2. The squad is stronger than last years

That we will have to wait a couple of months to be clear on. But we have an exciting period ahead.

Not every case takes as long as Ings. I believe Burnley wanted 12M and Liverpool offered 6m. So if you equate that to us, lets say we wanted £1.2 for Bentley and say Bournemouth sign him and offered £0.6. Then at least we have £600,000 to start with.

True. It might get agreed without the tribunal (I think I read somewhere most don't go to tribunal) and in any event the tribunal won't award less than what the buying club has already offered so we can go from there.

On the other hand we have lost just three (Bentley, Payne, Worrall) players we wanted to keep and most who have gone were not first choice. So therefore we are replacing mainly squad players- so its not necessarily as bad as you paint. However, when we get to the first game of the season we will want to see

1. The best starting 11 is better than last years
2. The squad is stronger than last years

That we will have to wait a couple of months to be clear on. But we have an exciting period ahead.

One man's excitement is another man's dread.

Given Brown's track record in recruitment, I know which one I'm leaning towards.

True. It might get agreed without the tribunal (I think I read somewhere most don't go to tribunal) and in any event the tribunal won't award less than what the buying club has already offered so we can go from there.

Bigger clubs like Burnley just wanted the cash but smaller clubs like ours can sometimes get a better deal long term. Barnsley for example get 20% of John Stones Transfer fee if Everton sell him.

A good deal for Payne might be say £300,000 now and further instalments on appearances, with a sell on fee. That way both clubs are Protected.

Personally I think football should sort out the academy rules so that they are clear and standardised. if we want to improve the standard and want clubs like ours to invest, then lets protect their investment and have a standard sell on fee of say 10% for the whole career of any player you develop. Regardless of how many moves he makes.

Or what about 1% for every year a club has him, up until age 23. So in effect two cubs, or more, could benefit from any future transfer fees.

Back